Trailer decision

John mills

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

I ordered a ProStarr Bullet from Action Trailers at the Snowmobile show. Looked like a good unit.

Action promised to meet my requested 4 weeks delivery time, (verified by the manufacturer, who was also at the show). At the 4 week point I was told some materials were backordered, and the trailer would be a week or 2 late. This week they said the trailer should be at Strathroy at the end of this week. Total time of 7 weeks instead of 4. I am not very surprised about the delay, as it's a new model with no pre-existing stock.

Aside from the delay, I am looking forward to getting the trailer and putting it to use.

Will that be 7' x 16' ?    BTW Blake  I thought you got a new trailer a short time back,  I remember that the door was put on the wrong side,  did that one not do the job ?   My buddy is heading up there Sat to get his double wide Hybrid    

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The yellow sticker requirement is as clear as mud. For example an RV trailer is exempt even if it exceeds the weight requirements. My F150 Supercrew with a 6.5 ft. box towing my single axle 2 sled hybrid trailer is exempt from yellow sticker inspections. Now... my wife's aluminum horse trailer has two 3,500 lb. axles which means it has to be inspected with the yellow sticker. To tow it with my F150 the otherwise exempt truck would need the yellow inspection sticker. So now I get the truck inspected. Once the truck has the yellow inspection sticker almost every trailer I tow with it now requires inspection. So if I get the truck inspected to tow the horse trailer legally I now have to also have the snowmobile trailer inspected and stickered. If not for the horse trailer neither the truck or snowmobile trailer would need inspection.... ooops. My boat trailer which didn't need an inspection sticker needs one now as well since the truck has one. Oh don't borrow someone's trailer that doesn't need inspection either.

Ya  at times it's clear as mud but overall fairly easy to figure out and with the forum at helps.  Bottom line as we all agree add the GVWR  of tow vehicle, ( which apparently a Suburban and probably a Land Rover with all seats in is exempt )  so my pickup  1500 Chev   GVWR 7200 lbs and a Hybrid sled trailer GVWR 3500 is 10700 lbs  The limit is 4500 kg  which is 9920  OVER by 780 lbs  That sucks, oh so get a 2990 axle   and the grand total now is 10190  OVER by 270 lbs    Really sucks.   And that's a 1500, if you are in a 2500 your  way .over.  Maybe there is a bit of forgiveness for single axle trailers on a pickup and not having saftys but not if they are tandems.   Also I spoke to a DOT officer regarding the yellow sticker on the truck and then it being mandatory on the trailer.  Here is want was said,  I have a yellow for the truck as I pull a larger construction trailer, obviosley  stickered,  but when I pull a small utility trailer with a GVWR of 2000 lbs what is the rule ?  I am under 9920 lbs so I would just cover my truck yellow sticker ?  The officer said  and I quote    " The requirement for the safety certificates is determined at the time of towing " so he said I don't need to cover the truck sticker if I am under the 9920.  And I know ,  it's like Rev Can auditors  they seem to  all have different interpretations.  Also, the only trailers that are exempt are RV's ,   I'll bet a boat trailer would need a safety especially a tandem.    Oh that's how I understand this whole issue  

33 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

I kind of think I should get a Yukon or Suburban,   really could make life more easy LOL

Or change the RGVW on the pickup to a lower number. A couple of my trucks have come with an optional RGVW package that had the truck fall into a category where my plates would cost me more than the standard plate cost. $180 rather than $120. I believe it's up to 3,000 kg to qualify as a light duty. The dealer when plating the truck asked me what I wanted to do and they licensed it as light duty. I would never have that kind of a load on the truck.

Like was said by volunteer2 however, you talk to one MTO officer and you will get a different answer to the same question from another MTO officer.

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

Will that be 7' x 16' ?    BTW Blake  I thought you got a new trailer a short time back,  I remember that the door was put on the wrong side,  did that one not do the job ?   My buddy is heading up there Sat to get his double wide Hybrid    

Good memory, volunteer2. Two or three years ago, Action called to tell me my aluminum trailer had arrived, but the door was on the curb side. At that point they told me the trailer was not available with the door on the driver's side, and their salesman should not have accepted my order in the first place. I chose not to accept the trailer. By then it was into December, I believe, and I decided to continue using my two pickup trucks.

In the spring of that season, a friend and I decided to make a last minute mid-April trip to Cochrane. Instead of taking two pickup trucks, I quickly bought a new 6x10 steel framed Wells Cargo trailer at the local dealer. I like the trailer, but aluminum would have been better.

The next season I bought a 1998 Straightline steel trailer, 5 x 19. Awesome design, and it worked well for two winters. I sold it a month ago to a friend, after ordering the 7 x 16 Bullet from Action at the sled show.

15 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Or change the RGVW on the pickup to a lower number. A couple of my trucks have come with an optional RGVW package that had the truck fall into a category where my plates would cost me more than the standard plate cost. $180 rather than $120. I believe it's up to 3,000 kg to qualify as a light duty. The dealer when plating the truck asked me what I wanted to do and they licensed it as light duty. I would never have that kind of a load on the truck.

Like was said by volunteer2 however, you talk to one MTO officer and you will get a different answer to the same question from another MTO officer.

Yes  you can change the RGVW     3000 is basically the minimum for $120     but as an example my 1500 weighs 2450 kg   that only leaves 550 kg  or 1213 lbs for everything else,  such as passengers gear cap / toneuau  and the tongue weight of  a trailer that transmits less than 2800 kg to the ground. My work trailer is 400 lbs,  now add my cap and all my tools  four adults etc etc  Better license it for more than 3000 and pay,  and not get a fine for that.  Note  it's $235 for the year and I noticed you can license up to 4500 KG for the same.  not sure what the ministry is thinking because in the past it was graduated   I think they will graduate it again and alot of guys will be locked in at the higher number and cost and have to manually change it to be accurate to what they actually need .  You can't change the  GVWR of the truck, it's attached to the door pillar  and that's the number you need to get the combined weight.    

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

My F150 Supercrew with a 6.5 ft. box towing my single axle 2 sled hybrid trailer is exempt from yellow sticker inspections.

Is that combination under 4500Kg ?  (9900 lbs.) CGVW

The way I add it up, my little Dakota is close to the edge so I can't see your behemoth being under.

A late comment but In the op’s original post the tongue on that trailer looks way to short.  I would never buy a trailer that I cannot jackknife to almost 90 degrees without hitting my bumper.    

You would have a hard time putting the tailgate down to load and forget driving with the tailgate down.  

Your tongue should be long long enough that you can drive with tailgate down.  

Check the tongue length on the Triton enclosed trailers.  

18 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Good memory, volunteer2. Two or three years ago, Action called to tell me my aluminum trailer had arrived, but the door was on the curb side. At that point they told me the trailer was not available with the door on the driver's side, and their salesman should not have accepted my order in the first place. I chose not to accept the trailer. By then it was into December, I believe, and I decided to continue using my two pickup trucks.

In the spring of that season, a friend and I decided to make a last minute mid-April trip to Cochrane. Instead of taking two pickup trucks, I quickly bought a new 6x10 steel framed Wells Cargo trailer at the local dealer. I like the trailer, but aluminum would have been better.

The next season I bought a 1998 Straightline steel trailer, 5 x 19. Awesome design, and it worked well for two winters. I sold it a month ago to a friend, after ordering the 7 x 16 Bullet from Action at the sled show.

Thanks   Like I was saying the information here is the best and wish I had more time to follow the forum   Life really has got in the way LOL   I store a Triton trailer   like yours    and checked it out.  Gosh it's long and I have tonnes of storage here,  it's amazing to see the space I use for the traditional clamshells then this one  Bullit  style.  I have really thought about them.  One thing I saw was the Triton has disk (surge) brakes.  I don't know much about that.  I see yours will have no brakes which we don't have on the side by side either.  I am liking the fuel savings for sure as PLC said.   And of course with the heavier GVWR  the yellow sticker issue and I know    just suck it up it's just a cost of the sport     We have our sledder Daughter in North Bay at Nippissing   so there will some travelling  I have been told.  

12 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Is that combination under 4500Kg ?  (9900 lbs.) CGVW

The way I add it up, my little Dakota is close to the edge so I can't see your behemoth being under.

The way you explained your set up in the past is pretty good    It really  works for you   

12 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Thanks   Like I was saying the information here is the best and wish I had more time to follow the forum   Life really has got in the way LOL   I store a Triton trailer   like yours    and checked it out.  Gosh it's long and I have tonnes of storage here,  it's amazing to see the space I use for the traditional clamshells then this one  Bullit  style.  I have really thought about them.  One thing I saw was the Triton has disk (surge) brakes.  I don't know much about that.  I see yours will have no brakes which we don't have on the side by side either.  I am liking the fuel savings for sure as PLC said.   And of course with the heavier GVWR  the yellow sticker issue and I know    just suck it up it's just a cost of the sport     We have our sledder Daughter in North Bay at Nippissing   so there will some travelling  I have been told.  

I think when most folks buy the 7 x 16 Triton, they get it with a single axle, without brakes. There are 4 scenarios for the 7x16 from Triton: 1 or 2 axles, with or without brakes.

2 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I think when most folks buy the 7 x 16 Triton, they get it with a single axle, without brakes. There are 4 scenarios for the 7x16 from Triton: 1 or 2 axles, with or without brakes.

I see   makes sense       Are there any differences do you know about the torsion axels ?   Are they all the same quality  do you think?   Those old Trillium trailers have them.   They seem to have been around along time 

20181205_144733.jpg

Here’s a bit of info on the yellow sticker..

12699CDC-CECB-4EC0-893B-7C503BE357EB.png

I had a 8x12 hybrid with a rear ramp and man door, I’m 5’9” and I could almost stand up straight in it. It was a great trailer, but man did it ever feel like I was towing a brick wall! And even with my extended oem mirrors on my Silverado, I still couldn’t see what was behind me. 

Now I have a 7x14 V nose enclosed with a rear ramp and man door and I can now stand up easily inside (6’) without hitting my head. It also has trailer brakes. Tows way better than the hybrid and I can actually see what’s behind me. I can get both sleds in with plenty of room to spare. I purchased mine at Miska trailers in Hamilton. I think it was around $5500+tax. My truck and trailer combined puts me over the 4500kg so I need a yellow sticker on both and that’s with a 3500lb axle on the trailer. Single axle or not, if your combined weight is over that 4500kg you will need a yellow sticker.

i knew about RV trailer exemption but was unaware of this suburban with the seats exemption thing. 

DF38E687-C97B-4ED3-AD1A-5634E00218B9.png

with regards to Action Trailer sales, I tried dealing with them, I don't have anything nice to say about them. I was looking for a 23x7 with torsion axles, the salesman tried telling me it was a waste of money and it would never be loaded heavy enough to make the torsion axles work........they are clueless. I called Chestermans in Tillsonburg and bought a Pace High Mark, great people, great trailer, great price.

1 hour ago, Wildman said:

with regards to Action Trailer sales, I tried dealing with them, I don't have anything nice to say about them. I was looking for a 23x7 with torsion axles, the salesman tried telling me it was a waste of money and it would never be loaded heavy enough to make the torsion axles work........they are clueless. I called Chestermans in Tillsonburg and bought a Pace High Mark, great people, great trailer, great price.

Obviously a salesman who is into himself and has no idea what you do with the trailer. A drive by with your Pace trailer and a word with his boss might be in order.

5 hours ago, Wildman said:

Hey  Wildman  been a while     I had a really good experience so far,  answered a couple technical questions and got me set up with the Kijiji deal ( show special )   only 2 were left   Feeling real good and Saturday is pick up.  Oh  and Blake delt there so it's gotta work out       let's hope for the best 

21 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

I see   makes sense       Are there any differences do you know about the torsion axels ?   Are they all the same quality  do you think?   Those old Trillium trailers have them.   They seem to have been around along time 

Nick, my buddy has a early 90's Triton 18' tandem open bed with torsion axles and its still working as original. From what I've read the main issue isn't the torsion material but rather the axle housing tube rusting badly enough for the assembly to come apart. Everybody wants an "all" aluminum trailer but  most forget that the axle tubes are steel and since you can't easily see them few take the time to rustproof them annually..

24 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Nick, my buddy has a early 90's Triton 18' tandem open bed with torsion axles and its still working as original. From what I've read the main issue isn't the torsion material but rather the axle housing tube rusting badly enough for the assembly to come apart. Everybody wants an "all" aluminum trailer but  most forget that the axle tubes are steel and since you can't easily see them few take the time to rustproof them annually..

I have an 02 open bed 14 ft 3 sled trailer from Triton.  I bought it used a few years ago.  I put on a new coat of paint with a spray can  that year, but havent touched it since.  Still in good shape

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Hey  Brian   Thanks for advice  I have 2 trailers with torsion axles now,  both steel frames so they are undercoated pretty good but will keep an eye on that for sure.  They are the way to go I think but when you can't see the condition they're in I always wonder about it. Saying that,  my landscape trailer broke the springs on one side and there really wasn't any warning then.  But when the springs broke on the P/U there was a warning  when you could smell it from rubbing on the tire  LOL    It was a GM and   apparently they all break. 

8 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I had a 8x12 hybrid with a rear ramp and man door, I’m 5’9” and I could almost stand up straight in it. It was a great trailer, but man did it ever feel like I was towing a brick wall! And even with my extended oem mirrors on my Silverado, I still couldn’t see what was behind me. 

Now I have a 7x14 V nose enclosed with a rear ramp and man door and I can now stand up easily inside (6’) without hitting my head. It also has trailer brakes. Tows way better than the hybrid and I can actually see what’s behind me. I can get both sleds in with plenty of room to spare. I purchased mine at Miska trailers in Hamilton. I think it was around $5500+tax. My truck and trailer combined puts me over the 4500kg so I need a yellow sticker on both and that’s with a 3500lb axle on the trailer. Single axle or not, if your combined weight is over that 4500kg you will need a yellow sticker.

i knew about RV trailer exemption but was unaware of this suburban with the seats exemption thing. 

DF38E687-C97B-4ED3-AD1A-5634E00218B9.png

That's a nice set up too    My contractor trailer is 6 x 14  one 3500 lbs axle with brakes    alot of tongue weight for sure but tows real good    and just a bit over the 4500 kg  and a bit of a target to get pulled over with    missed one blitz left the trailer at my wholesaler to do errands with the truck and drove past all the boys getting inspected.

I have a 2006 Double Toy Carrier with what I think is a Rockwell 3500 lb. trailing torsion axle.  The axle looks like the ones I have seen on Tritons.  Anyway, I have noticed that the trailing arms appear to be bending so the wheels are getting a negative camber.  I may be the rubber wearing or deflecting causing this camber.  This spring, one of the saddle brackets welded to the main cross tube had a break beside the weld.  That has been re-welded and the axle has always been painted and undercoated.  I also had to replace the Chinese hub bearings as well this past spring.  I will be keeping a close eye on the mounting brackets.

4 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

That's a nice set up too    My contractor trailer is 6 x 14  one 3500 lbs axle with brakes    alot of tongue weight for sure but tows real good    and just a bit over the 4500 kg  and a bit of a target to get pulled over with    missed one blitz left the trailer at my wholesaler to do errands with the truck and drove past all the boys getting inspected.

That is my landscape trailer, but I unload all my equipment and tools for the winter. It’s definitely tongue heavy compared to my 6 ton dump trailer. Dual axles are the way to go and my next enclosed will be a dual axle for sure. There is also a lot of bounce with a single axle. 

I kind of put the cart before the horse on the 6 ton dump trailer purchase this year, but I mainly did it to save a bit on taxes this year. I knew I was going to buy one in the spring anyways. Brand new 2500 gasser in the spring. And for anyone who doesn’t know yet, Chevrolet is now only offering 100k on power train warranty for the 19’s.

Archived