Thinking of doing a Quebec trip ?

SuperG

Hi ya'll, 

Hope everyone is enjoying there summer so far?? Mine is pretty busy with working lots, getting ordered to stay past my shift as not enough officers on and working lots of overtime, along with any fire calls on my time off from work. That being said will be leaving me with some nice needed pay checks. This got me thinking that I have never really been anywhere only New Brunswick 10 years ago and that was only for me to do my officer training for 3 1/2 months. All I hear is how great Quebec is to ride from the trails, to the accommodations, to the breath taking scenery, and how everyone is more friendly over there and welcoming to sledders. Well I've had enough!!!! I WANT TO GO! I chatted yesterday with a buddy from work and hes in on at least a week long trip. Im asking this here if anyone has any tips as to where is best to go ride and best accommodations, as well as to the best time to go that will give the best conditions and not a lot of people on the trail (obviously the weekend will be busier). Also is anyone else interested in tagging along ? 

Thanks in advance. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer and its a safe one. 

Gavinator 

Hey Gav. I know nothing of these places you yearn to go but I have spent the last 4 days on the Jetskiis in and around Parry Sound harbour and the big Sound as well as north of Kilbear. I have a hard time imagining that there is prettier country to be seen. Now there is not a hope in h&ll that my wife will let me sell those Jetskiis. 

You will have a blast there.  Trails and hospitality are amazing.  There are some guys that have a lot of miles in quebec that can offer you many trip options.

I would start by just seeing what a limit on miles may be for your days.  Do you want to include travel time in the 7 days or 7 days of riding.  How fast do you guys ride.  Some guys like to do big Miles some not so much.  

Quebec is different than ontario you can go most of the time and it's nothing like it is here in certain areas.

Jan is normally really cold.  Feb you will have cold days for sure.  March amazing.

Plc will hopefully chime in on this topic.  Some guys have data log of miles for gas stops and good hotels etc.

Keep us posted on what your doing you never know you may have some stragglers.

Cheers

27 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Hey Gav. I know nothing of these places you yearn to go but I have spent the last 4 days on the Jetskiis in and around Parry Sound harbour and the big Sound as well as north of Kilbear. I have a hard time imagining that there is prettier country to be seen. Now there is not a hope in h&ll that my wife will let me sell those Jetskiis. 

Yes we have amazing country here and especially in the summer. Great sea dooing, boating, atving, sledding  in this area if i do say so myself. Just I mostly ride this area and I have yet to experience most of the province which is also on my list to explore more, but I think I just need to experience all of what I hear from everyone else. Glad to hear you are having a blast in my area! 

28 minutes ago, gobills said:

You will have a blast there.  Trails and hospitality are amazing.  There are some guys that have a lot of miles in quebec that can offer you many trip options.

I would start by just seeing what a limit on miles may be for your days.  Do you want to include travel time in the 7 days or 7 days of riding.  How fast do you guys ride.  Some guys like to do big Miles some not so much.  

Quebec is different than ontario you can go most of the time and it's nothing like it is here in certain areas.

Jan is normally really cold.  Feb you will have cold days for sure.  March amazing.

Plc will hopefully chime in on this topic.  Some guys have data log of miles for gas stops and good hotels etc.

Keep us posted on what your doing you never know you may have some stragglers.

Cheers

Yes from what I hear its a blast. 

I do not want to include travel time as part of the 7 days of riding. We are at a moderate pace and can usually handle 250-300kms a day maybe up to 350 on a good day with good conditions etc. 

I was thinking somewhere either around mid February or early march is best... 

Also was thinking on doing a RAP tour maybe if we have better conditions this season as I have yet to do that.

Will keep posted on here as more comes about. This is absolutely early in the stages and am just getting a feel around for who is interested from my work and anyone else that wants to join in. I want it to be a fun time with lots of exploring and taking in all that it has to offer while not feeling rushed. 

Thanks for the insight,

Ciao. 

58 minutes ago, SuperG said:

Yes we have amazing country here and especially in the summer. Great sea dooing, boating, atving, sledding  in this area if i do say so myself. Just I mostly ride this area and I have yet to experience most of the province which is also on my list to explore more, but I think I just need to experience all of what I hear from everyone else. Glad to hear you are having a blast in my area! 

Yes from what I hear its a blast. 

I do not want to include travel time as part of the 7 days of riding. We are at a moderate pace and can usually handle 250-300kms a day maybe up to 350 on a good day with good conditions etc. 

I was thinking somewhere either around mid February or early march is best... 

Also was thinking on doing a RAP tour maybe if we have better conditions this season as I have yet to do that.

Will keep posted on here as more comes about. This is absolutely early in the stages and am just getting a feel around for who is interested from my work and anyone else that wants to join in. I want it to be a fun time with lots of exploring and taking in all that it has to offer while not feeling rushed. 

Thanks for the insight,

Ciao. 

If you want to ride 300 km. per day that is no problem in Quebec. Start by 8:30 in the morning, have a nice lunch along the way and a couple of Ralais stops then put the sleds to bed before dark.

Three good choices for a 7 day ride as follows:

1. Northeastern Quebec.   Start in Liskeard, Rouyn,  Amos, Chibogamou return or do a loop through Roberval and Parent.

2. Lac St. Jean  -  Start near Quebec City (St. Raymond is good), La Tuque, Roberval, around Lac St. Jean, Mt. Valins, down to the St. Lawrence and back to St, Raymond.

3. Gaspe (must do!) - For 7 days at 300- 350 km. per day, I prefer to start on the south shore at Quebec City (Hotel Bernieres) and via #35 spend first night in Trois Pistoles, do part of the loop to Perce and hit the interior (Murdockville) then west through the mountains and back to the north side again.

All 3 areas provide fast smooth riding but if I had never been and had to pick one, it would be Gaspe no doubt about it.

Hope this helps.

PLC

8 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you want to ride 300 km. per day that is no problem in Quebec. Start by *:30 in the morning, have a nice lunch along the way and a couple of Ralais stops then put the sleds to bed before dark.

1. Northeastern Quebec.   Start in Liskeard, Rouyn,  Amos, Chibogamou return or do a loop through Roberval and Parent.

2. Lac St. Jean  -  Start near Quebec City (St. Raymond is good), La Tuque, Roberval, around Lac St. Jean, Mt. Valins, down to the St. Lawrence and back to St, Raymond.

3. Gaspe (must do!) - For 7 days at 300- 350 km. per day, I prefer to start on the south shore at Quebec City (Hotel Bernieres) and via #35 spend first night in Trois Pistoles, do part of the loop to Perce and hit the interior (Murdockville) then west through the mountains and back to the north side again.

All 3 areas provide fast smooth riding but if I had never been and had to pick one, it would be Gaspe no doubt about it.

Hope this helps.

PLC

awesome, Thanks for this info. Will look into it. 

In anticipation of something similar, did some sorting out of resources last year - pretty well summarized last April post- might be helpful:

Several of the folks with negative views of the Quebec map did not (in my opinion) realize how it worked with the different tabs at the top. Once you fool with it for a while you get used to its superior capabilities compared to the OFSC. Try plotting a few routes on a PC for fun - not sure how well it works on a Mac.

Also, got a used Android phone and downloaded last year's on line map which will show your GPS position even when off-line (will run a separate power source from sled battery for increased power useage) .  There will be an update map in the fall so you might want to wait for it - I got last year's just to see how it went.

Quebec is usually well represented at the Toronto sled show if you are planning to attend this.

Enjoy the planning. Always remember - it's not the destination, it's the journey. That's what all the eventual losers on those TV game shows say.

1 hour ago, slomo said:

In anticipation of something similar, did some sorting out of resources last year - pretty well summarized last April post- might be helpful:

Several of the folks with negative views of the Quebec map did not (in my opinion) realize how it worked with the different tabs at the top. Once you fool with it for a while you get used to its superior capabilities compared to the OFSC. Try plotting a few routes on a PC for fun - not sure how well it works on a Mac.

Also, got a used Android phone and downloaded last year's on line map which will show your GPS position even when off-line (will run a separate power source from sled battery for increased power useage) .  There will be an update map in the fall so you might want to wait for it - I got last year's just to see how it went.

Quebec is usually well represented at the Toronto sled show if you are planning to attend this.

Enjoy the planning. Always remember - it's not the destination, it's the journey. That's what all the eventual losers on those TV game shows say.

Totally agree with this.

Get the app on your phone and pickup some published maps of the areas you want to visit and you will have all the info needed.  No additional GPS needed once you get the app on your phone.  It is on my Iphone and works so well it makes the Ontario map look pretty bad.

The only thing I don't like is they don't list trail conditions by individual trail.  Just by area.  OFSC has them beat on this front.  Hopefully Quebec will add this feature soon.  I do agree the FCMQ interactive trail guide is far superior in every other way.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:08 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you want to ride 300 km. per day that is no problem in Quebec. Start by 8:30 in the morning, have a nice lunch along the way and a couple of Ralais stops then put the sleds to bed before dark.

Hope this helps.

PLC

I second PLC's comments about Gaspe.  We've been there twice, for 7-8 days riding both times...definitely a "life experience" for touring snowmobilers.  Nothing like it in Ontario.  And slomo's comments about how to properly use the Quebec interactive trail map are bang on, IMHO.

Talking about Quebec got me thinking about last years trip. The video is from trails around the Val dor area. No music or editing because my computer crashes every time I try to edit video. I agree Gaspe area is a must for touring snowmobilers

We rent a cottage for a week and day trip out. 100-150 mile loops for 6 days can be easy. We like the Mauricie-Lanaudiere region. Last year we chose a town called St Come. Great trails in all directions and we could ride flat farmlands of the St Lawrence valley or the hills to the north. We were just east of St Donat and south of St Zenon. 2 sledding "hotspots" but traffic was never a problem.

Climate has changed in Quebec too so winter is not what it used to be. Where we go we find the week before the Ontario family day holiday can get us decent temps and ok snow cover. And it's just an 8 hour pull from home, mostly on major divided highways  

We are planning on doing Gaspe this year for around 8 days as we never made it last year and another 8 day trip into northern Ontario. We are looking for a couple more to possibly join us in February for the Gaspe trip.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 5:10 AM, mcZEd382 said:

We like the Mauricie-Lanaudiere region. Last year we chose a town called St Come. Great trails in all directions and we could ride flat farmlands of the St Lawrence valley or the hills to the north. We were just east of St Donat and south of St Zenon. 2 sledding "hotspots" but traffic was never a problem.

Went on a road trip to Quebec in August to acquaint myself with the various regions - (also admit to dropping down to Edmundston, N.B.'s The Pirate restaurant for a lobster roll) - the area you describe looks pretty good and not too far a drive -

trailsign.thumb.JPG.a2c602d5043711cf2dbc039a850de543.JPG

- spent some time cataloguing accomodation places for myself travelling alone or some that were slightly upscale for both ms. slomo and myself -

map01.thumb.JPG.f2d9066a203ec9f163e97d13175e6dc8.JPG

The smart phone with trail app comes in handy both for trails and roads-

map02.thumb.JPG.81f2f095ca3cd365edf8d48eeb4b34b8.JPG

Looking forward to the season -

RAP vs Quebec? Hands down Quebec 

Nice to see the Quebec trails app is working in the off season, for planning. 

OFSC might want to take note. 

Archived