On line trail map?

manotickmike

Doing a little "off season" research, and hardly surprised to find the ITG or whatever is not running year round. (did the old one stay available year round?)

I don't want to look at last years printed maps, as for the most part, they're so vague as to be useless...

Just wondering if routes are posted anywhere off the ofsc site.

Thanks!

The fallout from good ole Bill 100 was that the ATV crew had access to OFSC trail maps all year so the OFSC in its wisdom removed on line mapping from sometime in April until Sept I believe. It was a landowner issue in southern Ontario and  a good move IMHO

9 hours ago, Faceman said:

The fallout from good ole Bill 100 was that the ATV crew had access to OFSC trail maps all year so the OFSC in its wisdom removed on line mapping from sometime in April until Sept I believe. It was a landowner issue in southern Ontario and  a good move IMHO

Why can the ATV clubs have access all year, and not the OFSC  ??   I disagree, it was a stupid move.  Absolutely ludicrous ...

I believe he meant that it was shut down over the summer so the ATV clubs Don't have access!

Ridiculous. 

That would be like hiding/confiscating road maps and shutting down GPS so road bikes couldn't speed and wheelie through intersections. 

A certain local off road motorcycle club tries to promote trail riding and won't publish maps. Goes as far as to remove postings with GPS tracks and map images.

They say it's to keep the ATVs out. I get why. ATVs wreck dirt bike trails. 

I say it's exclusionary and divisive. Among the small number of dirt bike riders left...…..

There has to be a better way than trying to hide in plain sight. 

16 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

Ridiculous. 

That would be like hiding/confiscating road maps and shutting down GPS so road bikes couldn't speed and wheelie through intersections. 

A certain local off road motorcycle club tries to promote trail riding and won't publish maps. Goes as far as to remove postings with GPS tracks and map images.

I say it's exclusionary and divisive. Among the small number of dirt bike riders left...…..

Sorry Mike, but I don't understand your argument!

It is shut down during the off season to prevent ATV, dirt bikes, 4x4, etc from accessing trails on private land, so as to avoid landowner issues for snowmobile usage.

I think the OFSC has made a wise decision shutting the map down for the off season. We have enough issues in farm country with ATV's on trails without providing them a year around map to use as a reference. Lots of time to plan sled trips once the map comes back online IMHO.

9 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Why can the ATV clubs have access all year, and not the OFSC  ??   I disagree, it was a stupid move.  Absolutely ludicrous …

Sorry for the confusion Denis. Landowners were complaining that ATV drivers could access the online mapping , see where the sno-mo trails were and trespass to use them. It's more a out of sight out of mind thing. Was happening quite frequently and of course the standard answer was " we didn't know!". 

10 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Why can the ATV clubs have access all year, and not the OFSC  ??   I disagree, it was a stupid move.  Absolutely ludicrous ...

Where you live is vastly different from i.e. Muskoka where the vast majority of snowmobile trails are on private property thanks to the generosity of those landowners. Lots of those landowners do not want ATV's on their property in the summer months and therefore do not give permission to the ATV clubs to use their property. Unfortunately however there are ATV riders who feel entitled with the attitude that if it's a snowmobile trail then obviously to them it's an ATV trail as well. They have been known to cut locks on closed gates and in some cases hook onto gates and destroy them.

9 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Ridiculous. 

Some ATV clubs are now ensuring they keep their trails narrow. With the average ATV being 48" wide they clear the trails just wide enough to let them pass comfortably. The reason... keep the Jeeps and pickups out.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Some ATV clubs are now ensuring they keep their trails narrow. With the average ATV being 48" wide they clear the trails just wide enough to let them pass comfortably. The reason... keep the Jeeps and pickups out.

That won't work with what seems more SXS's than quads.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That won't work with what seems more SXS's than quads.

Believe it or not most Sms are not much wider than quads.

They look much wider due to the height.

8 hours ago, soupkids said:

Mine is 59" I believe.  Some are 65".

9 hours ago, soupkids said:

My friends Cfmoto side by side is 51 or 52 where the quads seem to be 48. I guess before buying a much wider Sxs it would be wise to check the trails in your area. There seems to be a growing trend to keeping the trails narrow to keep the jeeps and trucks out

what we learned here in mich is the dirt bike trails started as single track (less than 40" wide) via the enduro racing series, MANY YEARS AGO, the state utilized them as a mcct (motorcycle only) trail. 

then the atv's (quads) start "stretching" the width. and they end up at 50" ( then get designated as orv trail) which allows mixed bike, quad traffic. the quads eventually erode the topsoil to sand, make large whooped craters before and after turns (braking, and acceleration bumps),  making the trails wide enough, some side by sides "try to use them" and then the bikes go look, find, and make a new system, and it starts over.

we have orv "routes" (think bush roads) which are truck, jeep, sxs, atv, bike mixed use too but, the 2 wheel purest (myself included), prefer the 40" or less "single track".

Denis, we need to get you and alex down here to ride some single track. it is a BLAST! I dare say, " more fun" than sledding. Ski

34 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

My friends Cfmoto side by side is 51 or 52 where the quads seem to be 48. I guess before buying a much wider Sxs it would be wise to check the trails in your area. There seems to be a growing trend to keeping the trails narrow to keep the jeeps and trucks out

My CFMoto is 59.  That is the narrorer version you are describing.  Most full sxs are even wider.

5 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Denis, we need to get you and alex down here to ride some single track. it is a BLAST! I dare say, " more fun" than sledding. Ski

I actually prefer old logging roads myself, don't mind some narrow trails at times, but for the most part we have better riding on the bush roads.  Single track isn't very common around here, because as mentioned above, quads usually f@*~ them up with their mud tires.

Besides, you and Lynne would wear me right out, I'm not a young punk like you .... :rotflmao:

My kinda single track. 

As much as I love sledding, the dirt biking is more reliable as a "fix". 

Couple more winters like the last 2, and....

P061016_04.27_[02].jpg

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

My kinda single track. 

P061016_04.27_[02].jpg

Geezus, you can drive a full sized truck through that bush and never fold in a mirror. 

Try that up here and see how it goes.... :shock:

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, manotickmike said:

My kinda single track. 

P061016_04.27_[02].jpg

fun stuff mike, when we going?

and Denis... REALLY?  I am 51 and still thrashing myself in the woods. may even do a sprint, enduro race this summer/fall. only as young as you act. (and feel after a day of riding). :D no comment on the latter! :D Ski

10 hours ago, skidooboy said:

fun stuff mike, when we going?

and Denis... REALLY?  I am 51 and still thrashing myself in the woods. may even do a sprint, endure race this summer/fall. only as young as you act. (and feel after a day of riding). :D no comment on the latter! :D Ski

Good stuff.  Likely buying a dual sport.  52 here.

10 hours ago, Doogirl69 said:

The old ITG map is history. 

The new map will be introduced at the OFSC AGM in September. 

It will be much better than the old ones.

The one from this past year??  Thank goodness if its gone.  The one from prior 2018 winter was great never really had a problem with it.  

I've returned to paper maps. For planning. 

Pretty hard for the powers that be to take those down...

On the ITG disaster, has anyone introduced the BOD to the (highly functional, no cell tower or data required, WTH were they thinking?) Quebec model?

Would Trakmaps sue?

57 and riding HARD, even in this heat. 

My mid size Ranger is 54" wide. Not sure what the full size models measure. The smaller size is what sold me. Less work when clearing the old skidways on our woodlot.

Archived