Best Cold Weather Suits

signfan

On 7/11/2018 at 10:50 AM, sledjunk said:

With regards to the heated liner, First Gear is the brand that I have.  I purchased from Canada Motorcycle (now Fort Nine http://fortnine.ca ) and they offered sizing information as well as easy exchange if the size is not correct.  I usually wear FXR Jacket, either with or without the jacket's liner, but always have the heated liner on underthe TekVest.  I usually do not have the liner plugged in, but it is easily accessible if I start to get chilly.

I also have the matching heated pants liner, but have only needed them a couple of times in extreme cold.

I just had a look at the heated liner you have, looks really good. This would be awesome with my Klim shell. I could run in a t shirt the heated liner and the shell and be warm and light even in the coldest weather. That would be nice. Fort Nine usually has the best prices in canada but the 300 bucks is kinda priceyy, maybe I can find one in the USA for less.

18 hours ago, zoso said:

I just had a look at the heated liner you have, looks really good. This would be awesome with my Klim shell. I could run in a t shirt the heated liner and the shell and be warm and light even in the coldest weather. That would be nice. Fort Nine usually has the best prices in canada but the 300 bucks is kinda priceyy, maybe I can find one in the USA for less.

And if the heated liner quit ???

We would find you on the trail frozen solid.

20 hours ago, zoso said:

The heated liner is quite nice, but it works best with a good layer between it and the skin, especially if wearing a Tekvest.  I have come in after a cold day where I turned the stat for the heated liner up a bit too much and have red marks on my chest where the heating elements were :oops:   Mine is the 90 Watt version.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, soupkids said:

And if the heated liner quit ???

We would find you on the trail frozen solid.

That's what I was thinking about. Something like the heated visor that quits and trying to ride with it open enough to not fog up..

On 9/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, zoso said:

Instead of a T shirt, get a shirt made from Merino wool - advantages and source listed here:

https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/wool-garments-for-the-outdoors

I've used this stuff outdoors and under my heated liner and it works as advertised. On the heated jacket liner, see if you can source Powerlet jackets - have the ability to switch back and forth from a higher and lower amperage depending on your needs and sled capacities. (I forget the exact amperages) A 'dimmer' rheostat for the jacket is also a necessity - an off/on switch minimum requirement.

I recently picked up a Striker Predator float suit...intention was ice fishing but damn its thick and big....should be great for cold weather riding

On 10/1/2018 at 5:49 AM, slomo said:

Instead of a T shirt, get a shirt made from Merino wool - advantages and source listed here:

https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/wool-garments-for-the-outdoors

I've used this stuff outdoors and under my heated liner and it works as advertised. On the heated jacket liner, see if you can source Powerlet jackets - have the ability to switch back and forth from a higher and lower amperage depending on your needs and sled capacities. (I forget the exact amperages) A 'dimmer' rheostat for the jacket is also a necessity - an off/on switch minimum requirement.

Wool allergy so I stick to synthetics or bamboo for my base layers.

Archived