Best Cold Weather Suits

signfan

Looking for a new suit for next season.  What would you recommend.  Especially concerned with cold weather -15 to -30 performance.  It seems every suit I've ever had I was cold in when the mercury drops.  Strictly for trail riding.  Is FXR the way to go?  Wondering is the FAST insulation warm?  I owned a mustang floater suit a decade ago and it the coldest suit I've ever owned.  Seems my knees are the first thing to get cold in my current BRP suit.

Always thought my OEM Cat clothing was pretty decent but little by little was having same problem as you with burning knees of cold days plus having to wear a heavy sweater. Popped for FXR jacket and pants plus a thin Merino wool top. Coldest of days, toasty warm from head to toe. Only downside, on milder days I was way too hot, yes even with all vents open, opted for a pair of FXR waist high pants for warmer days. 

X2 on the FXR jacket and pants. I pair mine with UA ColdGear as my base layer for everything except the coldest. Then I would add a light mid layer.

I have used the FXR suits with the FAST for a few years now and do find them quite warm as long as you buy the better quality ones. Have had a couple issues with the zippers failing on them however. We will likely be looking into the KLIM suits in the future.

That being said Karen has felt that the warmest suit she has had is the CKX floater suit she got a about 4 years ago.

Hope this helps

I bought an FXR FAST suit 2 winters ago, and it is the warmest suit I've ever had.  I wear a layer of the "Dri-Wear" from Marks Work Warehouse underneath, and I'm never cold. 

We run all day long on the "big trails" in -20 to -35c at speed and there' s no issues. 

I have the bib pants, and when it's warm, I take out the liner and open vents accordingly. 

Would highly recommend one. 

Best time to buy is at a Royal "No Tax" sale or the first day of the Sled Show in T.O.

I have had the FXR Team suit with FAST. Cost roughly $1,000 all said and done, but very warm. Almost too warm for me actually. To the point I may be looking to sell it this year for a lighter combo that I can layer when needed on the cold days.

I wore the liner in my jacket once last year and that was it. That was at -35 without windchill last year around New Years and was very warm. I wish I could zip out liners in my pants as that is where I am the hottest on most days since I am very active when I ride. 

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

Bought brand new Klim stuff last season. My favorite by far. Have used FXR and HJC, but the klim stuff is top notch..

Why is that? What make Klim so much better?

23 hours ago, signfan said:

Looking for a new suit for next season.  What would you recommend.  Especially concerned with cold weather -15 to -30 performance.  It seems every suit I've ever had I was cold in when the mercury drops.  Strictly for trail riding.  Is FXR the way to go?  Wondering is the FAST insulation warm?  I owned a mustang floater suit a decade ago and it the coldest suit I've ever owned.  Seems my knees are the first thing to get cold in my current BRP suit.

I am not in the same category as everyone here on the forum with slick suits, but will put in a good word for the BRP Absolute 0 jacket (around $500.0 or so) and the purchase of a heated jacket liner with a variable heat control for those really cold days. Check motorcycle shops for Gerbing, Powerlet, and other brands. I was not too impressed with Gears brand - heating element burned through the cloth and had little success with an exchange. Got the Powerlet jacket and have electrical connections to run off sled 12 volt accessories circuit.

Purchase tip: Make sure you try the electric jacket liner on before buying - sizes are all over the map. (I admit to being husky, but XXXXL ? )

4 hours ago, slomo said:

I am not in the same category as everyone here on the forum with slick suits, but will put in a good word for the BRP Absolute 0 jacket (around $500.0 or so) and the purchase of a heated jacket liner with a variable heat control for those really cold days. Check motorcycle shops for Gerbing, Powerlet, and other brands. I was not too impressed with Gears brand - heating element burned through the cloth and had little success with an exchange. Got the Powerlet jacket and have electrical connections to run off sled 12 volt accessories circuit.

Purchase tip: Make sure you try the electric jacket liner on before buying - sizes are all over the map. (I admit to being husky, but XXXXL ? )

With regards to the heated liner, First Gear is the brand that I have.  I purchased from Canada Motorcycle (now Fort Nine http://fortnine.ca ) and they offered sizing information as well as easy exchange if the size is not correct.  I usually wear FXR Jacket, either with or without the jacket's liner, but always have the heated liner on underthe TekVest.  I usually do not have the liner plugged in, but it is easily accessible if I start to get chilly.

I also have the matching heated pants liner, but have only needed them a couple of times in extreme cold.

• 2 months later...

I agree you can't go wrong with Klim. Everyone has different tolerances for the cold but in Klim gear I ride in a short sleeve t shirt. Rode out of Hearst 2 seasons ago in pouring rain and I was dry as a bone underneath.

FXR with FAST, I ride the lakes so a bit of insurance is required. Ride all areas including north and always with T-shirt and light pants under suit. for realy cold days I have a Stika medium weight long sleeve 1/4 zip and merino long johns. suit is a bit heavy but not too noticeable, lots of vent for warm days. Second choice would be Klim Keweenaw jacket and bibs

I had a klim/yamaha suit and it was the best suit I’ve ever had. Klim isn’t as heavy as fxr, and you can move around a little easier. You could ride nude under that suit if you wanted too. Regret selling it forsure! Now I have an fxr suit with the fast technology (I think they all are FAST now) and it’s great! Very warm and dry. Klim is more money for a reason, as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Both brands are very good though!

I've had my FXR suit for 12 years and it's been great. Never had any issues with it. I wear a Under Armour long sleeve cold-gear shirt on the cold days and a pair of pj's. Warmer days just a t-shirt/pj's. Thinking of a new one this year and that's only because I need a smaller size. I've had my Klim Gortex Boots for 10 years. Just now starting to show signs of wear and at the end of last season. Under Armour Hunting Gloves.   The Royal No Tax/Red Tag sale starts Thursday. Check it out.

I use a KLIM Valdez jacket and free ride pant. It is a shell only. Has been used in +10 C down to -42C at the start of the day with a high of -32 riding 300kms. Never was I cold. You will never be warmer or dryer than with a high performance gortex shell and the proper layering. I have ridden out in the morning in rain and by noon been in a driving snow storm and sudden temp drop to -20, never wet or cold. My jacket is now 8 seasons old and has some wear but still functioning as designed. it is expensive, but well worth it and I will replace it with the same.

Two suits of choice really old Arctic Cat leathers (1988) really warm but heavy. Lately I have been wearing a CKX floater suit and a tekvest it allows me to move and stay warm best aas well as ad the security with the amount of lakes and Georgian Bay in our area 

Klim seems to work great for me!

It seems like this is all backwards. Climate change has temps slowly increasing and we are more worried than ever about the cold. I think we all must be getting older lol.

For the guys running FXR are you running the TEAM jacket? Or the Adrenaline? Or something else.  The TEAM has a 9 rating for warmth where the Adrenaline has a 10.  Just curious if there is any real noticeable difference between the two.

I have the team and its really warm 

My COX floater does good by me.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:21 PM, signfan said:

For the guys running FXR are you running the TEAM jacket? Or the Adrenaline? Or something else.  The TEAM has a 9 rating for warmth where the Adrenaline has a 10.  Just curious if there is any real noticeable difference between the two.

Out of our riding group, we have two guys riding the Team suits, one riding the Renegade jacket and one who bought the new Adrenaline last year. Since we're all different people its hard to compare which one is warmer and what not. I can't imagine it is that much better than the Team though. 

I wear the Team jacket and pant. I find it too hot. I am selling mine if you know anyone who is looking. 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:21 PM, signfan said:

I bought a Team FX jacket with the FAST system straight from FXR 2 winters ago in their clearance area on the website, it was marked down to $125!! Not once have a I had the liner in the coat & haven't been cold at all! I bought a pair of the FXR  pants with FAST last year at Royal's tent sale. I only where a long sleeve shirt & track pants typically & haven't been cold since. 

Have had Klim for 15plus yrs very good product.....made a decision last yr for a new suit....Motorfist is whats in the cave now...had to adjust underlayers first few rides in Qc last year....I would say the Motorfist is much warmer and fit and finish is top notch...the boys that designed Klim moved on and guess what they started MF.....just saying.

6 hours ago, Lep said:

Have had Klim for 15plus yrs very good product.....made a decision last yr for a new suit....Motorfist is whats in the cave now...had to adjust underlayers first few rides in Qc last year....I would say the Motorfist is much warmer and fit and finish is top notch...the boys that designed Klim moved on and guess what they started MF.....just saying.

Is motofist using gore products? I have found that goretex pro shells are amazing when it comes to blocking wind and water. Did you have a Klim insulated product or a shell and is your motofist a shell or insulated? I am considering a new jacket, for estetics only and to move my Valdez into a winter work wear jacket and know how well the gortex has served me in the past and still today. I have goretex boots jacket pants and gloves and could stand in a shower and remain dry. Dry is key to warm, any product I buy will be a shell only due to the versatility of layering. I did find some interesting winter bike gear that is high end and has protection in the back, elbows and shoulders built in, this is the stuff that is soft but gets hard on impact and am considering it, but cost is very high at 1100 US. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-armaxis-jacket

Archived