Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Canuck

BRP Acquires Alumacraft and Creates a New Marine Group

Recommended Posts

Don't know much about tin boats, but really enjoy our Crestliner. Seem perfect for (short) Ontario summers and freshwater.

 

Found this email interesting...BRP getting into aluminum (Minnesota) boats.

 

http://www.amsnow.com/news/2018/06/brp-acquires-alumacraft-and-creates-a-new-marine-group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Polaris has bought a boat company as well.  Must want to expand more for both of them.  I know the company they bought makes some sweet pontoons and cabin cruisers.

 

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/company/article/polaris-industries-signs-definitive-agreement-to-acquire-boat-holdings-llc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes a lot of sense for BRP already having such success with SeaDoo and wanting to increase outboard market share with OMC outboards. If they can package up boats that are priced well and perform as good as or better than the competition Im sure they will do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

brp is having difficulty getting their engines on transoms . as a result they are buying transoms. omc did this in their final years. Mercury has been hugely successful in doing this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

brp is having difficulty getting their engines on transoms . as a result they are buying transoms. omc did this in their final years. Mercury has been hugely successful in doing this 

That seems incredible that this would be the case!  

 

No wonder the Bombardier LRT Vehicles and Streetcars are massively behind schedule and also being returned to fix major flaws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 11:03 AM, bbakernbay said:

That seems incredible that this would be the case!  

 

No wonder the Bombardier LRT Vehicles and Streetcars are massively behind schedule and also being returned to fix major flaws.

Not even the same company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2018 at 9:52 AM, Wildbill said:

brp is having difficulty getting their engines on transoms . as a result they are buying transoms. omc did this in their final years. Mercury has been hugely successful in doing this 

 

We're taking old Merc and OMC engines off boats and installing Honda on them.  We don't sell OMC BRP outboards anymore.  We sell 90% of our engines 40hp or less, Evinrude said we had to take 250 HP of engines in any configuration we wanted.  Most engines we sell are 20hp or less, their smallest E-tec is 25, weighs more than the Honda and is less reliable.  Their 15 horse is a Tohatsu with OMC decals on it, basically an anchor.  So we booted them out and sell Honda only.

 

The downside is, Honda throttle controls are B/O in any configuration we try to order, we have a 115 in a crate sold but can't install it 'cause the control handle is backorder until end of August ... bloody maddening ... the 60 I installed on a pontoon boat last month has to come back for a new dash mount control when it comes in, we installed a used side mount control temporarily to get it on the water.  Both these cases could have been less maddening had our bossman done his job right and actually get the controls ordered with the engines in the first place, when he took the orders ....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Denis007 said:

 

We're taking old Merc and OMC engines off boats and installing Honda on them.  We don't sell OMC BRP outboards anymore.  We sell 90% of our engines 40hp or less, Evinrude said we had to take 250 HP of engines in any configuration we wanted.  Most engines we sell are 20hp or less, their smallest E-tec is 25, weighs more than the Honda and is less reliable.  Their 15 horse is a Tohatsu with OMC decals on it, basically an anchor.  So we booted them out and sell Honda only.

 

The downside is, Honda throttle controls are B/O in any configuration we try to order, we have a 115 in a crate sold but can't install it 'cause the control handle is backorder until end of August ... bloody maddening ... the 60 I installed on a pontoon boat last month has to come back for a new dash mount control when it comes in, we installed a used side mount control temporarily to get it on the water.  Both these cases could have been less maddening had our bossman done his job right and actually get the controls ordered with the engines in the first place, when he took the orders ....

 

Regardless of the ordering snafu it is extremely disappointing that these manufacturers cannot properly support their dealers.

 

Glad to hear that you had the fortitude to give one the boot.

 

These guys squeeze their dealers so hard and I hope they get their due in a few years when more dealers like you say goodbye.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Denis007 said:

 

We're taking old Merc and OMC engines off boats and installing Honda on them.  We don't sell OMC BRP outboards anymore.  We sell 90% of our engines 40hp or less, Evinrude said we had to take 250 HP of engines in any configuration we wanted.  Most engines we sell are 20hp or less, their smallest E-tec is 25, weighs more than the Honda and is less reliable.  Their 15 horse is a Tohatsu with OMC decals on it, basically an anchor.  So we booted them out and sell Honda only.

 

The downside is, Honda throttle controls are B/O in any configuration we try to order, we have a 115 in a crate sold but can't install it 'cause the control handle is backorder until end of August ... bloody maddening ... the 60 I installed on a pontoon boat last month has to come back for a new dash mount control when it comes in, we installed a used side mount control temporarily to get it on the water.  Both these cases could have been less maddening had our bossman done his job right and actually get the controls ordered with the engines in the first place, when he took the orders ....

 

I have worked at honda shops parts and service backup were always an issue. We once had a 15hp wait almost 14 months for parts. It does not matter how good it is if you cannot buy parts it is junk . As a note I have been far from impressed by the honda engines longevity and performance. We sell a pile of mercs and service hundreds of them with great luck 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason, our local OMC dealer didn't want to sell me a water pump and an ignition coil for my 6 hp Evinrude. They wanted me to trade it in. In my opinion, the old OMC products were bullet proof but today not so much. I have bought nothing but Mercruiser for years because you can get parts for them anywhere. Mind you, that was the way it was with Homelite.......

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, catinental couch said:

For some reason, our local OMC dealer didn't want to sell me a water pump and an ignition coil for my 6 hp Evinrude. They wanted me to trade it in. In my opinion, the old OMC products were bullet proof but today not so much. I have bought nothing but Mercruiser for years because you can get parts for them anywhere. Mind you, that was the way it was with Homelite.......

Lots of Water Pump Kits on eBay as well as Ignition Coils

A88CD6E8-54C8-4513-AAF2-C1A8FAE677F6.png

1A93B0E3-1E2D-450B-94BB-B98884FE0786.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info bbakernbay. Small problem. I don't do evil bay. Too many of my customers were sold "a bill of goods". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I've been buying and selling on e-Bay since 99. Last week was the first time I needed to send anything back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, catinental couch said:

For some reason, our local OMC dealer didn't want to sell me a water pump and an ignition coil for my 6 hp Evinrude. They wanted me to trade it in. In my opinion, the old OMC products were bullet proof but today not so much. I have bought nothing but Mercruiser for years because you can get parts for them anywhere. Mind you, that was the way it was with Homelite.......

find a different dealer 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 7:49 AM, catinental couch said:

For some reason, our local OMC dealer didn't want to sell me a water pump and an ignition coil for my 6 hp Evinrude. They wanted me to trade it in. In my opinion, the old OMC products were bullet proof but today not so much. I have bought nothing but Mercruiser for years because you can get parts for them anywhere. Mind you, that was the way it was with Homelite.......

Had good luck with hammer bay ordering some water pump parts and coil for my ancient 1973 2 hp Johnson seahorse.   I love this little motel for our 7’ boat,   Always runs and has never disappointed me on the water.  Simple engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 10:52 AM, bbakernbay said:

Lots of Water Pump Kits on eBay as well as Ignition Coils

A88CD6E8-54C8-4513-AAF2-C1A8FAE677F6.png

1A93B0E3-1E2D-450B-94BB-B98884FE0786.png

Any tips on looking for the rubber gasket/seal on a OMC 9.5 that separates the exhaust from induction sides? I may not have the right terminology. Motor runs fine w/ cover off, but iffy w/ cover on (kind of like EGR).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 11:08 PM, bbakernbay said:

These guys squeeze their dealers so hard and I hope they get their due in a few years when more dealers like you say goodbye.

I think it's the nature of the corporate world anymore. People come in for a contract or position, 'put their mark' on the division and/or company & the shareholders are happy or unhappy w/ the bottom line. Then these 'wizards' move on to the next opportunity.

 

Back in the 90s GM brought in some 'expert' to right the wrongs that were ailing the company. He was an executive from P & G that had last worked in the Crest product line...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be about the product any more. 

It's about the stockholder.

Then everyone stands around wondering why people buy "off shore" stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...did not see this before...sold my 2016 Princecraft 16 foot tin boat in May...Alumacraft makes a very sweet boat...awaiting outcome of aluminum and boat tariffs before I buy my next 17-18 footer...MSRP going up 20% for 2019 if something does not change, apparently.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×