Manitoulin Snowdusters in deep trouble

soupkids

Copied from their Facebook page.

There will be a meeting held at the Ski Hill in Honora Bay on Wednesday June 27 at 7 p.m. to discuss the Manitoulin Snowdusters.  If you have any interest in snowmobiling on Manitoulin Island then you should attend this meeting. 

2619 Highway 540, Honora Bay on June 27, 2018 at 7 p.m.

http://www.manitoulin.ca/2018/06/22/without-president-snowdusters-snowmobile-club-may-dissolve/

Without president, Snowdusters Snowmobile Club may dissolve

I'm really surprised there aren't more clubs in this position. As a corporation you need a president and executive to meet your corporate responsibilities. It's a thankless job with all the riders that won't lift a finger to help but find lots of time to whine and upset the landowners that are always on the brink of revoking permissions. It's easier to just buy your permit and let the trail faeries take care of the rest.

I am surprised that I have not seen any trail club mergers. Could this happen for this club?

Jerry

7 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

I am surprised that I have not seen any trail club mergers. Could this happen for this club?

Jerry

According to the link posted by 02Sled, it doesn't look like there are any feasible clubs in the area.  With the MOTS philosophy, I would not be surprised to see this happening much more.

I don't know the situation up there but if the club was to give up their incorporation and the district take over the responsibilities they could keep the trails as long as there are enough bodies willing to do the set-up and maintenance. I believe a lot of D5 clubs are going this direction. It does give you a larger pool to draw the few number of executive members needed to meet the incorporation requirements. There are pros and cons to this but at least it would keep the trails open.

3 hours ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

I don't know the situation up there but if the club was to give up their incorporation and the district take over the responsibilities they could keep the trails as long as there are enough bodies willing to do the set-up and maintenance. I believe a lot of D5 clubs are going this direction. It does give you a larger pool to draw the few number of executive members needed to meet the incorporation requirements. There are pros and cons to this but at least it would keep the trails open.

I am not sure that giving up the incorporation (aka MOTS Chapters) is going to solve the problem. Reading the Standardized District By-Laws and Operating Procedures an unincorporated member (Chapter) still requires a "Chair" to sit on the District Board. That chair person would be coordinating volunteers/landowners, reviewing district budgets for the chapter and acting as the chapter representative. Sounds an awful like the role of a Club President to me.

In the big picture I think there more clubs than anyone cares to admit to in similar circumstances. They just haven't taken to FB to advertise it yet.

Club just posted that someone has stepped up to be President. Congrats to the club and thank you to the individual who took on the role. Hopefully things work out well for the club.

18 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Jerry

No, closest club is an hour away with problems of their own.

They are a member of D12 but previously joined STP before MOTS.

4 hours ago, soupkids said:

No, closest club is an hour away with problems of their own.

They are a member of D12 but previously joined STP before MOTS.

Would it not now be prudent to place the last two clubs in the district that are not part of the STP in the STP? With the district controlling everything now it would only make sense. Or, are they too far removed to make it work?

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Would it not now be prudent to place the last two clubs in the district that are not part of the STP in the STP? With the district controlling everything now it would only make sense. Or, are they too far removed to make it work?

Under the MOTS structure the STP (as the grooming association) would cease to exist and the internal clubs to STP would all have a seat on the District Board along with the remaining independent clubs. I suppose an alternative would be to have the 2 independent clubs become part of the STP and then the STP becomes the District. Either way there is one corporate entity that should disolve.

\Of course the whole structure is moot if there are no volunteers at the club level willing to assume leadership roles.

8 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Under the MOTS structure the STP (as the grooming association) would cease to exist and the internal clubs to STP would all have a seat on the District Board along with the remaining independent clubs. I suppose an alternative would be to have the 2 independent clubs become part of the STP and then the STP becomes the District. Either way there is one corporate entity that should disolve.

\Of course the whole structure is moot if there are no volunteers at the club level willing to assume leadership roles.

Right now the STP controls the district and they are pretty much one in the same. i assume the STP will simply become the district and the change would pretty much be in name only.

9 hours ago, zoso said:

Both espanola and the island have been part of STP for a couple years already.

If the boundrys of D12 had not stretched north D12 would essentially be following MOTS.

Now if your talking the 2 new northern club's they can't join the new D12 unroll the old STP and the old D12 are leagaly merged.

This is currently stuck somewhere between lawyers and OFSC I THINK.

7 hours ago, soupkids said:

Both espanola and the island have been part of STP for a couple years already.

If the boundrys of D12 had not stretched north D12 would essentially be following MOTS.

Now if your talking the 2 new northern club's they can't join the new D12 unroll the old STP and the old D12 are leagaly merged.

This is currently stuck somewhere between lawyers and OFSC I THINK.

Soup, I admit I am not fully familiar with with the D12 structure but as I understand all the independent clubs in D12 joined the STP a couple of years ago. That effectively makes the STP the equivalent of the District. So as I stated earlier, one of the corporate entities needs to disappear. One way is to merge the District Corporation with the STP Corporation thus making them 1 corporate entity. Essentially the process requires a special resolution of both corporations authorizing the merger (aka amalgamation). Then an amalgamation agreement is drafted and signed by both parties. Once the Amalgamation Agreement is completed, the Articles of Amalgamation are completed and filed with the provincial govt. The govt will approve the Articles of Amalgamation and you now have 1 single corporate entity. The process is laid out Sections 174-179 of the Ontario Business Corporations Act. Its not that complicated but I guarantee you the lawyers will make it sound complicated (and expensive). The process should be simplified since we already have Standardized District By-Laws and Standardized District Operating Procedures that every District is required to adopt so the work of forming new by-laws and procedures is already done. Having some first hand experience with a similar situation in our District (we had to transfer from federal jurisdiction to provincial jurisdiction in order to comply with OFSC by-laws) unless you are riding herd on the lawyers very closely this will take forever and end up costing a ton of money.

So once the above is completed, the process of adding new members (the 2 northern clubs from D-14) is very straight forward. Section 8.01 of the Standard By-Laws says that the members are those assigned by the OFSC and then accepted into membership by resolution of the board. Since the club assignments are already approved in the MOTS resolution passed at AGM 2016, it should only require a resolution from the D12 board (after amalgamation). No lawyers required for that one.

It's or merger STP and D 12 that is stuck somewhere

Archived