Summer Projects

soupkids

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I'm not that brave

Try this joke on her:

A man walks into a wild west bar, fires his gun in the air and yells at the top of his voice "I looking for the S.O. B. that painted my horse green!!"

A muscle bound seven foot tall man fondling a rattle snake at the bar turns and says "right here dude".

The horse owner stops for a few seconds of reflection and says "Well, just came in to tell you that the first coat is dry".

(might be a bit too soon for this joke after a few seconds of reflection)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

I told her she has to make up her mind before I do anything. Otherwise she will work me to death. If that is what she wants then I will be an unwilling participant.

But aren't you retired with lots and lots of time available? :grin: Isn't it amazing how anyone got anything done as well as having a full time job.

While I was doing yard work my wife was running around doing some grocery shopping. I asked where she was since she was gone a very long time. She said a bit of here there and everywhere. She said as soon as I told her I was doing yard work her time away became extended. She pulled back in the driveway just as I was about to wrap up.

She also has a different interpretation on some things than I do. 15 or 20 minutes prepping something to put in the oven for 3 hours in her mind equates to 3 hrs. 20 mins. of work

I'm with sledjunk on this one.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

But aren't you retired with lots and lots of time available? :grin: Isn't it amazing how anyone got anything done as well as having a full time job.

While I was doing yard work my wife was running around doing some grocery shopping. I asked where she was since she was gone a very long time. She said a bit of here there and everywhere. She said as soon as I told her I was doing yard work her time away became extended. She pulled back in the driveway just as I was about to wrap up.

She also has a different interpretation on some things than I do. 15 or 20 minutes prepping something to put in the oven for 3 hours in her mind equates to 3 hrs. 20 mins. of work

I told you before. I need to check the dictionary on the description

of the word "retired". I am sure that it is not what I imagined or am experiencing. I can't blame your wife for her idea of work for preparation time cooking dinner. I am not a chef nor a short order cook. I am certainly not time efficient at that job. I am afraid you are on your own on that one.

I still do all the things that I did when I was working full time.( I just take a lot longer doing it).

11 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Just as I'm about to get into get ready for the lake mode my wife decides it might be a good time to paint all the rooms in the house.

Call a contractor and give them a blank cheque. 

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

I'm with Blake and Sledjunk on this one.

I'm with Blake, Sledjunk and Cat Couch on this one.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:01 PM, Denis007 said:

Call a contractor and give them a blank cheque. 

I'm with Blake, Sledjunk and Cat Couch on this one.

Yup, painting is a 5 year minimum. Live with it for 5 years, then I'll paint. 

I try to paint 1 area a year, that way I am on a constant rotation

Not a busy year for me...

Building a 3600sqft shop with office space upstairs and 350' driveway, extending our front covered porch to be a wrap around, ripping down our aboveground pool and deck and replacing with a two tiered deck, digging out our pond to extend it and adding a liner and rocks with a pump, replacing 2000' of wire farm fencing that I did last year with wood rail fencing. And this is just outside. 

I have to finish a bathroom and laundry room reno that I completely gutted and took down the walls in January, and refinish our upstairs hardwood thats sanded down waiting for stain. Then finish the drywall in our great room, install the new windows and door to the "new deck" and lay hardwood flooring. 

Oh and I am doing all of this myself while running my own company, and it ALL needs to be done by Sept 15th as we are supposed to be getting married in the new shop.

But so you guys don't feel bad for me, she paints when the drywall is done or when she wants a colour change... 

3 hours ago, Basketcase said:

Building a 3600sqft shop with office space upstairs and 350' driveway, extending our front covered porch to be a wrap around, ripping down our aboveground pool and deck and replacing with a two tiered deck, digging out our pond to extend it and adding a liner and rocks with a pump, replacing 2000' of wire farm fencing that I did last year with wood rail fencing. And this is just outside. 

I have to finish a bathroom and laundry room reno that I completely gutted and took down the walls in January, and refinish our upstairs hardwood thats sanded down waiting for stain. Then finish the drywall in our great room, install the new windows and door to the "new deck" and lay hardwood flooring. 

Oh and I am doing all of this myself while running my own company, and it ALL needs to be done by Sept 15th as we are supposed to be getting married in the new shop.

But so you guys don't feel bad for me, she paints when the drywall is done or when she wants a colour change... 

.... and this will all be done for the long weekend, right ?

:lmao:

44 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

.... and this will all be done for the long weekend, right ?

:lmao:

the long weekend of what month... and what year? haha

For the first year in many I do not have a major summer plan.   I am hoping to tie up lots of loose ends on projects started previous years.  Finish the last bit of landscaping and trim on fence (last years project), finish siding and build wood lean-to off back of the garage (summer project 2 years ago), finish some interior and exterior trim on my screen porch (400 sqft porch on a 900 sqft house) that I built 4 years ago, and finish off my pilot's license (started 2 years ago) because apparently I don't have enough expensive hobbies and have lots of spare time . . . . . 

Oh and try to spend a few days organizing and doing some trail work and maintenance days in the shop with the club to make the fall/early winter less stressful when trying to open up the trails.  

22 hours ago, Basketcase said:

I did the same thing 2 years ago, cleared a few treeed acres, built a 6000 sq foot shop (with help of course), moved the business got married and moved homes after finishing renovating.  Wasn’t too bad. you just won’t get much sleep!  I hope for your sake it is not as wet of a season!!  Invest on a paint sprayer and you will have more honeymoon time ;)

On 5/3/2018 at 7:36 AM, snowman said:

I did the same thing 2 years ago, cleared a few treeed acres, built a 6000 sq foot shop (with help of course), moved the business got married and moved homes after finishing renovating.  Wasn’t too bad. you just won’t get much sleep!  I hope for your sake it is not as wet of a season!!  Invest on a paint sprayer and you will have more honeymoon time ;)

That sounds like a ton of work as well! Props to you sir. 

I always say "I have more time and energy, then money" so I like to do everything myself.. These year I don't know if I have any of the time, energy OR money haha

3 hours ago, Basketcase said:

That sounds like a ton of work as well! Props to you sir. 

I always say "I have more time and energy, then money" so I like to do everything myself.. These year I don't know if I have any of the time, energy OR money haha

i have a friend who in his much younger years did his own oil changes because he couldn't afford to pay someone to do it. Then came the era of not enough time to do it himself and he could afford to pay someone to do it. Now he is retired and has the time to do the oil change himself and would rather spend the money from his fixed income on more important things. He says he's gone full circle only now it takes him at least twice as long to do the oil change than when he was young. Good thing he has the time.

hoping to get these's to on the road and put some miles on them  

DSC00590 (640x480).jpg

Looking good, Mike!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Basketcase said:

Hey Im finally getting something done!

GcAfGFzGS4e5TsULu2Xtzw_zpsao099cvf.jpg

Wr6ldLRlSGKtKkRIvY7dg_zpsuu7eor1c.jpg

Looking good!

• 2 months later...

Refurbishing my 12 x 32 upper deck ...pulled carpet off ...replaced rotted PT  boards. Put down 6 mil plastic today and new carpet goes down this week ...then take down hand rails and replace with aluminum type. ...

And side projects were refurbish daughters deck and started to build a maple syrup shack . Oh and handle my 24 x 30 vegetable garden ( harvesting now)  ...retired my butt ...never worked harder ...but enjoy every minute.

3 hours ago, Panther340 said:

Refurbishing my 12 x 32 upper deck ...pulled carpet off ...replaced rotted PT  boards. Put down 6 mil plastic today and new carpet goes down this week ...then take down hand rails and replace with aluminum type. ...

And side projects were refurbish daughters deck and started to build a maple syrup shack . Oh and handle my 24 x 30 vegetable garden ( harvesting now)  ...retired my butt ...never worked harder ...but enjoy every minute.

I agree. I think retirement should be spelled r e t a r d e d m e n t. About the same as old timers disease anyway. lol

Archived