Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

revrnd

$26!

They had all grades, IIRC, the Dexos was $30.

Mobil1.jpg

It's very hit and miss, my sled and car take it so I stick up when I find it on sale. Probably why it's never there, others doing the same!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps.... but the aftermarket starter fails between instantly and 1 year ... you DO get what you pay for sometimes.  I've been there. 

I put Honda brushes in my Polaris quad starter  (used ones no less) about 3 or 4 years ago... aftermarket brushes were a 9-10 month wear item.

X2

Perhaps.... but the aftermarket starter fails between instantly and 1 year ... you DO get what you pay for sometimes.  I've been there. 

I put Honda brushes in my Polaris quad starter  (used ones no less) about 3 or 4 years ago... aftermarket brushes were a 9-10 month wear item.

I had to back up the thread. The shop we've dealt w/ for starters I'm isnt a dealer for Kimpex stuff. I will check the next time Im in town.

Both the BRP $465 and Kimpex $119.00 are made in China. Cross referencing, there is also a Denso (Japan) model - $219.00 and one with the brand name Stocker for about $170.00. Having seen the construction of all of them in photos or in person, there is very little difference in quality and in a couple of cases, a more robust construction than the BRP model. I had to replace the brushes in the BRP model a couple of years ago due to oil infiltration and will be inspecting again this summer. Meantime the Kimpex makes a good spare to carry around as the machine has no manual start.

Most of the knowledge above comes from trappers in Labrador who run their machines pretty hard and have had trouble with the BRP starters, even as replacements.

Can also see no difference between the after market and the BRP filters and O-rings - fuel filters appear to be made by the same manufacturer right down to tool marks.

When it comes to o rings, I don't think you could beat the product that a reputable hydraulic or industrial supply shop. That being said, I'd be leary of Brafasco/HD Supply.

A month ago I was looking for some stainless M6 x 20 SHCS & a 3/4"-16 tap. Total cost was going to be around 160 bucks of which 120 bucks was the tap. I said not today.

I checked the KBC Tools catalog for a Union Butterfield (at the other end of the spectrum from your Crappy Tire or Princess Auto taps) tap.

They wanted 65 bucks. You can guess what I did. Even w/ the postage, it was considerably cheaper.

I am surprised about that revrnd. My local Brafasco in Orillia has been very price competitive on quality items. Maybe it is because we have Fastenal and Home Depot for them to be in competition with. Not to say there is anything in Home Depot with any quality but they have one h@ll of a good hardware department.

I am surprised about that revrnd. My local Brafasco in Orillia has been very price competitive on quality items. Maybe it is because we have Fastenal and Home Depot for them to be in competition with. Not to say there is anything in Home Depot with any quality but they have one h@ll of a good hardware department.

Bolts Plus has taken over the Acklands/Grainger store last year. I was there a couple of times & not impressed w/ the service. No stock on simple items (standard thread shoulder bolts), wrong items ordered. CCS has a location in Ptbo, but is small. I dealt w/ them all the time @ their Oshawa location.

I haven't really dealt w/ Fastenal as it wasn't my 'go to' source in Oshawa. Besides it's adjacent to the DriveTest location & like my truck in 1 piece.

Bolts Plus has taken over the Acklands/Grainger store last year. I was there a couple of times & not impressed w/ the service. No stock on simple items (standard thread shoulder bolts), wrong items ordered. CCS has a location in Ptbo, but is small. I dealt w/ them all the time @ their Oshawa location.

I haven't really dealt w/ Fastenal as it wasn't my 'go to' source in Oshawa. Besides it's adjacent to the DriveTest location & like my truck in 1 piece.

Fastenal sucks. Never have anything in stock always order and pick up later. 

Spaenaur

in Kitchener is awesome and always has everything in stock and can package it up quickly for you. It is my  Go to place. 

I agree about Spaenaur.  They have a huge catalog of fasteners and almost never are they out of stock, including odd stuff.  They will also sell you as little or as much as you need.  Great customer service and your orders are always ready on time if you choose to pickup.  

Wish there was one near here.

We had a GREAT fastener spot, ALWAYS a line at the counter. Had all the odd, metric or stainless bits I needed. Or would have them in a day or 2.

Then someone didn't see a future in the walk up customers, and only sold quantities. I remained a customer for my hardware for the brake conversion kits I sell.

Then one day, after 15 years+ of being a customer, I was told I needed to have an account. It was with mixed feelings I noticed their sign come down about 9 months later.

I now buy all of my hardware on-line. Same stuff, costs about 1/2. It's M-10 and 12  SHCS and FSHCS countersunk stuff. 10.9 and 12.9

Fastenal (too far away) and  Brofasco (ugh) were not an option.

I've also learned to keep an "inventory" of common stuff here, and the odd bits my Japanese sleds and bikes use, and that even worse,  that Austrian one.

Until we got Brafasco, Fastenal and Home Depot, I had more hardware stock than all my suppliers combined. My cost from my major supplier was 5% of my cost from anywhere else. Alas he retired and moved to the maritimes. We were buying from a known wholesaler but they kept sneeking their prices up until it was no longer advantageous to stock my own hardware.

Fastenal sucks. Never have anything in stock always order and pick up later. 

Spaenaur

in Kitchener is awesome and always has everything in stock and can package it up quickly for you. It is my  Go to place. 

Love Spaenaur for hard to source items.  Also essentra components http://www.essentracomponents.com/en-ca.   Essentra is not the cheapest bit I find if I call in it is always cheaper.  The do send free samples as well!

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 6:02 AM, slomo said:

Price and quantity an even  better deal for you.....only 4.4 liters in each jug  up here. Switched from Mobil1 to another brand name synthetic for this reason.

Ask BRP where their oil refinery is. Any good brand of synthetic 0W40 will work fine. With regard to your filters, the Gamma Bronco oil filter will be about half price of the  BRP filter,  https://www.gammasales.com/item/79-00113/BRONCO-OIL-FILTER/

and there are a couple of brands half price for the inline fuel filter as well. The Gamma SPX comes with the two O-rings needed at the fuel filter changes, otherwise you are paying $13for one of the O rings and close to $14 for the other at the dealer. I don't have the part numbers handy, but will supply once I find them - thinking the same parts fit 600ACE and 900ACE. Try this:  https://www.gammasales.com/item/682-2003/SPX-FUEL-FILTER/      $19.95

Double check all the parts numbers suggested - looked up for 600ACE-

OEM parts and prices:

420956123 Oil Filter $18.49CAD
420250640 Copper Washer $0.99CAD
420950141 Sealing Ring $2.61CAD
415129510 Fuel Filter $44.99CAD
check if these are needed:
415129509 O-Ring $14.99CAD
415129511 O-Ring $13.99CAD
(prices from two years ago)

And be very careful about over tightening and stripping the plastic threaded holes for these screws (21) when changing the filter !
5ad87561cc76f_fuelfilterscrews.jpg.28d4fb0ec41a1cd66a06242ecb3877da.jpg

I found it very helpful to sign up for Canadian Tire sales alerts for repeatedly used items such as oil, water filters, windshield washer antifreeze etc. etc. (or anything else the lawful wedded spouse seems to think we might need, which puts off the purchase for a while until it 'comes on sale' ) although lately they have been slackening off on the notices.

According to the 2018 fiche the 900ace uses a 420 956 124 filter.

Spae-naur was one of our vendors for small parts. Brafasco/HD carries their stock..

• 2 months later...

Mobil 1 0W-40 is on sale @ Crappy Tire right now. $30.99 for 5 US qts. Regular price is $56.99.

32 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Have you seen any 0w-20 full synthetic on sale anywhere?

I haven't been looking for it, so I cant say.

3 hours ago, whits-end said:

Lots of it in CTC Huntsville this morning, Mobil 1 $30.99 for 4.73 litres.

I was surprised by the amount they had in the Ptbo store (north end). Last spring by the time I got there both stores were out of stock.

Is this a commonly used combination of viscosities in the automotive world?

On 10/5/2018 at 10:25 PM, revrnd said:

According to the 2018 fiche the 900ace uses a 420 956 124 filter.

Spae-naur was one of our vendors for small parts. Brafasco/HD carries their stock..

Apparently the 420 956 124 PN is the new filter & supersedes the -123 filter:

e6e24fa7de6853cce462dc8667ca9f87.jpg

New PN filter w/ screen is on the left.

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

I was surprised by the amount they had in the Ptbo store (north end). Last spring by the time I got there both stores were out of stock.

Is this a commonly used combination of viscosities in the automotive world?

It is in cars and light trucks especially in cam phaser and GDI  engines. They are running the machine tolerances so tight that they need the thinner oil both for lubrication and cooling. The 6.0 engine doesn't use this oil.......,,yet.

My 2009 Sierra 5.3 had DOD and called for 5w30.  My 2016 calls for 0w20.  I read somewhere that some Toyota's call for 0w20, and they have it packaged under the Toyota brand.

I imagine 0w40 is primarily sold to the off-road crowd, but most all brands of 0w40 seem to be 'European Formula' ( imported from Europe).  Maybe there are European auto requirements?

I remember several years ago seeing a reference to Petrocan offering a 0W-30. Apperently it was sold in northern parts of Canada but not readily available in southern Ontario. 

Guys that had vehicles that called for 5W-30 were using it in the winter.

2 hours ago, whits-end said:

0w40 seem to be 'European Formula' ( imported from Europe).  Maybe there are European auto requirements?

My 6.1 hemi uses it as well as my 4 Tec.

Archived