Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

revrnd

2 hours ago, whits-end said:

Yamaha sells 0w30 semi-syn, and 0w40 full-syn.  Don't know who supplies it.

Just picked up some synthetic 0w30 for the sidewinder’s oil change over Christmas.  Was on sale from Canadian Tire.  (Not motomaster brand). It did say European blend.   I am hoping that the fact that the manual calls for semi synthetic and I am going to put full synthetic in that it would better!?  Really didn’t see any gear oil that I was comfortable with though, but there was a few options. ..

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Royal Purple for my chaincase. Not cheap but pick it up in the States  

I do not head to the states much so I will try to find something similar up here or in TO

Crappy tire seems to be laking on many oils.

When I changed my tranny pan they didn't have ATF +4 Or even synthetic gear lube.

That seem to be leaving the roots that they are known for and moving towards a Canadian Wal-Mart.

CTC -  Chinese Trinket Corporation.   I rarely go to that store anymore.

I didn't realize Torco was still around. They made a big splash several years ago as a sponsor of cars in multiple classes in the NHRA. Then a couple of years later they disappeared. I'm thinking it was around '03 or '04 as a kid from here had their sponsorship on the CSRA series.

A few years ago I Googled the company & found out the owner of the company had been charged in a large scale fraud.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/07/former_owner_of_torco_racing_f.amp

I guess the company was sold but doesn't have the profile it had before.

6 hours ago, soupkids said:

Crappy tire seems to be laking on many oils.

When I changed my tranny pan they didn't have ATF +4 Or even synthetic gear lube.

That seem to be leaving the roots that they are known for and moving towards a Canadian Wal-Mart.

How long has ATF +4 been used? I bet their market research has shown that owners of vehicles that use the newer oils & fluids aren't DIYers?

How is Crappy's Parts Source chain for stocking various fluids?

3 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Torco chaincase lube works great we have sold it for 20 years it has been perfect 

Sounds great, I will swing by!

6 hours ago, revrnd said:

How long has ATF +4 been used? I bet their market research has shown that owners of vehicles that use the newer oils & fluids aren't DIYers?

About the same as crappy tire.

On 12/24/2018 at 2:29 PM, snowman said:

Just picked up some synthetic 0w30 for the sidewinder’s oil change over Christmas.  Was on sale from Canadian Tire.  (Not motomaster brand). It did say European blend.   I am hoping that the fact that the manual calls for semi synthetic and I am going to put full synthetic in that it would better!?  Really didn’t see any gear oil that I was comfortable with though, but there was a few options. ..

The European variety has a higher level of ZDDP which North American oils don't have. I run Mobil 0W-40 Euro formula myself plus a High Flo filter (HF147) Much cheaper and a much better combo that Yamalube products. 

I also run Mobil gear oil 75-90 full syn and have as long as I can remember.

I keep a couple of jugs on hand. 

Source for the Hi-Flo please? I've been getting mine @ Fort9

Mobil1.jpg

15 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I keep a couple of jugs on hand. 

Source for the Hi-Flo please? I've been getting mine @ Fort9

I was purchasing my Hi Flo's at Clarington cycle but he (Mike) has now gone out to work at Blackstock Motorsports so I have no idea if he/they still carry them? Do to a lack of sledding the last few years, I haven't gone out there (Asselstines previously) but hope to within the next couple of weeks. 

I would also assume most motorcycle type shops carry these or can get them, and maybe even some dealers as I have also heard some dealers use these instead of the OEM ones? My first oil/filter change on my Vector I paid over $90 dollars CDN for Yamalube syn and a Yamaha filter. From that eye opener onward, I have used Mobil 0W-40 and Hi Flo filters and have saved over $50 dollars per oil change. Yamalube is nothing special at all even though the price they charge for it would make one believe it is. 

On 12/25/2018 at 12:58 PM, revrnd said:

I believe the rams still take ATF +4.

Parts source isn't much better than CTC for oils.

On 12/27/2018 at 10:00 AM, Irv said:

I was purchasing my Hi Flo's at Clarington cycle but he (Mike) has now gone out to work at Blackstock Motorsports so I have no idea if he/they still carry them? Do to a lack of sledding the last few years, I haven't gone out there (Asselstines previously) but hope to within the next couple of weeks. 

I would also assume most motorcycle type shops carry these or can get them, and maybe even some dealers as I have also heard some dealers use these instead of the OEM ones? My first oil/filter change on my Vector I paid over $90 dollars CDN for Yamalube syn and a Yamaha filter. From that eye opener onward, I have used Mobil 0W-40 and Hi Flo filters and have saved over $50 dollars per oil change. Yamalube is nothing special at all even though the price they charge for it would make one believe it is. 

I checked the Hi Flo website & couldn't definitively find 1 for the 900 ACE motor. They show 1 for the Can-am Outlander. From the accompanying pic it would appear that the filter pleats don't have the metal screen that the newer '124' filter uses. BRP released it to replace the original '123' filter.

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I checked the Hi Flo website & couldn't definitively find 1 for the 900 ACE motor. They show 1 for the Can-am Outlander. From the accompanying pic it would appear that the filter pleats don't have the metal screen that the newer '124' filter uses. BRP released it to replace the original '123' filter.

And you don't want a filter without the metal reinforcement on an ACE engine at 30 below.  The engine sucks in the filter on very cold starts to the point of giving a No Oil Pressure warning and the accompanying engine failure. 

10 hours ago, Denis007 said:

And you don't want a filter without the metal reinforcement on an ACE engine at 30 below.  The engine sucks in the filter on very cold starts to the point of giving a No Oil Pressure warning and the accompanying engine failure. 

Well isn't that handy!

Archived