Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil

revrnd

Crappy Tire has a special on Mobil 1 oil from Thursday April 19 to Sunday April 22.

50% off on selected grades.

20180418_161544-1_resized.thumb.JPG.a2ac11374b1c5b804bf010807cff1332.JPG

(stupid phone)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Won't be 5w20 though. All on grades new cars don't use. 

feel bad for you guys... mobil1 5 quart jug, is 23-28.00 usd everyday at walmart in the states, for all grades. not sure what the price is at wallyworld in canada.

Ski 

7 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

feel bad for you guys... mobil1 5 quart jug, is 23-28.00 usd everyday at walmart in the states, for all grades. not sure what the price is at wallyworld in canada.

Ski 

Its about the same Erik as Crappy Tire's regular price. We get hosed on oil unless you watch for sales. I check the pricing when I'm in NH (no sales tax), Mobil 1 & Pennzoil synthetic are generally half our price.

32 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Did you happen to notice if 0w-20 Dexos was on sale in Mobil1 as well?

Penzoil - 5 liter jug $31.19 Canadian Tire Parry Sound reg. $52.00 Product #028-9329-2. Ten in stock on the auto wall by the parts counter.

Thanks for the info. For the small difference in price, I will buy it from the dealer. That way there will be NO arguments on any oil related warranty issues. It goes in sometime in the next two weeks for it's first GM scheduled oil change. I have already given it one because as I have previously stated, oil is cheaper than engines. Maybe I should get some 5w-30 for the dually though. That poor old thing needs all the help it can get. Did you see that on sale?

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Ski 

I usually buy it there and is usually 39.99 for 5L last time I bought, not sure what it is now though. This was last June. Probably 50 now I bet. 

Gas is going to be 1.60 here in Ontario for regular by June big wigs are saying? 1.28 now or so a litre? What is Michigan per us gallon at the moment? 

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Thanks for the info. For the small difference in price, I will buy it from the dealer. That way there will be NO arguments on any oil related warranty issues. It goes in sometime in the next two weeks for it's first GM scheduled oil change. I have already given it one because as I have previously stated, oil is cheaper than engines. Maybe I should get some 5w-30 for the dually though. That poor old thing needs all the help it can get. Did you see that on sale?

I know the parts counters sell Goodwrench & AC Delco branded oils (not sure who supplies the dealer bulk oil), but I've always stuck w/ aftermarket brands. Every few years I'll check the specs & go from there. When I was running dino oil, I used Castrol GTX. Since switching to synthetic I've run Pennzoil & now Mobil 1.

When I start doing my own oil changes on the 900ACE, I'll compare the price of the BRP oil change kit vs buying aftermarket oil & the rest of the parts separately. Considering how much the BRP warranty has benefited me in the past :rotflmao: I'm not really worried about oil brand.

32 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I know the parts counters sell Goodwrench & AC Delco branded oils (not sure who supplies the dealer bulk oil), but I've always stuck w/ aftermarket brands. Every few years I'll check the specs & go from there. When I was running dino oil, I used Castrol GTX. Since switching to synthetic I've run Pennzoil & now Mobil 1.

When I start doing my own oil changes on the 900ACE, I'll compare the price of the BRP oil change kit vs buying aftermarket oil & the rest of the parts separately. Considering how much the BRP warranty has benefited me in the past :rotflmao: I'm not really worried about oil brand.

How often do you plain to change oil in 900? 

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

I understand your reasoning revrnd. I was only comparing dollar for dollar on specified product from different suppliers and manufacturers. The last time I bought this oil, GM was only 20 cents a litre more than slomo quoted on Pennzoil. Castrol, which I have used for years, was exactly double the money. With the A/C Delco dealer the same oil was 150% higher than the GM dealer. As has been said previously, it pays to shop around but I won't go out of my way to save 20 cents a litre from Wallyworld or Cambodia Tire.

11 hours ago, Doogirl69 said:

Just got 2 jugs.

11 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Ski 

Price and quantity an even  better deal for you.....only 4.4 liters in each jug  up here. Switched from Mobil1 to another brand name synthetic for this reason.

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Ask BRP where their oil refinery is. Any good brand of synthetic 0W40 will work fine. With regard to your filters, the Gamma Bronco oil filter will be about half price of the  BRP filter,  https://www.gammasales.com/item/79-00113/BRONCO-OIL-FILTER/

and there are a couple of brands half price for the inline fuel filter as well. The Gamma SPX comes with the two O-rings needed at the fuel filter changes, otherwise you are paying $13for one of the O rings and close to $14 for the other at the dealer. I don't have the part numbers handy, but will supply once I find them - thinking the same parts fit 600ACE and 900ACE. Try this:  https://www.gammasales.com/item/682-2003/SPX-FUEL-FILTER/      $19.95

Double check all the parts numbers suggested - looked up for 600ACE-

OEM parts and prices:

420956123 Oil Filter $18.49CAD
420250640 Copper Washer $0.99CAD
420950141 Sealing Ring $2.61CAD
415129510 Fuel Filter $44.99CAD
check if these are needed:
415129509 O-Ring $14.99CAD
415129511 O-Ring $13.99CAD
(prices from two years ago)

And be very careful about over tightening and stripping the plastic threaded holes for these screws (21) when changing the filter !
5ad87561cc76f_fuelfilterscrews.jpg.28d4fb0ec41a1cd66a06242ecb3877da.jpg
5 hours ago, catinental couch said:

With the A/C Delco dealer the same oil was 150% higher than the GM dealer. As has been said previously, it pays to shop around but I won't go out of my way to save 20 cents a litre from Wallyworld or Cambodia Tire.

I found it very helpful to sign up for Canadian Tire sales alerts for repeatedly used items such as oil, water filters, windshield washer antifreeze etc. etc. (or anything else the lawful wedded spouse seems to think we might need, which puts off the purchase for a while until it 'comes on sale' ) although lately they have been slackening off on the notices.

6 hours ago, catinental couch said:

I understand your reasoning revrnd. I was only comparing dollar for dollar on specified product from different suppliers and manufacturers. The last time I bought this oil, GM was only 20 cents a litre more than slomo quoted on Pennzoil. Castrol, which I have used for years, was exactly double the money. With the A/C Delco dealer the same oil was 150% higher than the GM dealer. As has been said previously, it pays to shop around but I won't go out of my way to save 20 cents a litre from Wallyworld or Cambodia Tire.

I like brp oil for sled and I let dealer do work during warranty. Already had enough warranty work done to offset the cost of oil change. If you have a good dealer that goes thru sled properly it is worth it. Mine had a few codes in it, dealer replaced, ignition coils and voltage regulator. No more issues now. I like to keep that relationship. 

Yamaha oil spec is only API 'SG'.  Castrol Edge (5 litre)  0w40 European Blend is API 'SN'; and is regularly available on sale at CTC for about $30.  Also, for my GM car and truck, 5w30 and 0w20 are regularly on sale and have always been Dexos approved.  Oil change at your GM dealer will be 'semi-syn' packaged by somebody for GM.

23 minutes ago, whits-end said:

Yamaha oil spec is only API 'SG'.  Castrol Edge (5 litre)  0w40 European Blend is API 'SN'; and is regularly available on sale at CTC for about $30.  Also, for my GM car and truck, 5w30 and 0w20 are regularly on sale and have always been Dexos approved.  Oil change at your GM dealer will be 'semi-syn' packaged by somebody for GM.

My receipt says our truck gets full synthetic. This not true or are there different oils get used?  Always let local gm dealer do the service on it, since I write it a portion of it off anyway's, farm truck.  They give me a ride back home and I get someone to drive me back at end of the day to get it. If I need it a k sooner I can wait or they will come and get me. Cost is great and 69.99, why would I go any where else. 

Corvette gets full synthetic too, but some how I bet that will be a 300 dollar service. 

IMG_0557.JPG

10 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Gotcha.

LOL on the Cambodia Tire. I've never heard it called that before. Denis can probably relate to this, back in the 80s when a friend lived in Elliot Lake he overheard 2 French chaps talking. He didn't understand a word they were saying, but suddenly 1 of them said 'Crappy Tire' & then continued along in French. LOL

Would 'pneu de crap' be a proper translation Denis?

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

My receipt says our truck gets full synthetic. This not true or are there different oils get used? 

My bad.  If it's 0w20 it will be full syn.  5w30 GM oil is semi-syn.  Your dealer may use anyone's bulk oil which could be full syn.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Would 'pneu de crap' be a proper translation Denis?

"Pneu de crotte" or "pneu de merde" would be slightly more accurate....

Up here we call it "Raincheck Tire", for obvious reasons ........

Chinese Trinket Corporation.

I'd be more inclined to use CTC's house brand full syn vs Mobil 1. Around here we call it white paint. As for GM and their Dexo's oil lic nonsense, opted for 10w30 full syn in my previous Sierra's., Experienced none of the oh so common lifter noise and excessive oil consumption issues, yes even with big miles on em.

Current Hemi Ram is being run on same oil and yes also at oil n filter change every 5k.

"Pneu de crotte" or "pneu de merde" would be slightly more accurate....

Up here we call it "Raincheck Tire", for obvious reasons ........

Now that is something the should have taught us in elementary school French.

Actually the manual for my Yamaha 1049CC motor oil  reads  Recommended Type SAE 0W-30  Grade API Service SG type or Higher. 

The Mobil 1 on sale at CTC this weekend is  SAE 0W-30  Grade API Service SN

The SN Grade is considered obsolete now and the SN is back serviceable according to the Petroleum Quality Institute of America.The Petroleum Quality Institute of America 

Archived