Anyone else out inthe Missing Link this weekend?

manotickmike

LOL.. . I received a last minute invite to tag along with some friends this past Sunday. 

Gorgeous sunny day and other than certain areas that were a bit rough (we don't think they groomed since Wednesday) the trails were awesome!  Yesterday's forecast showed Stonecliffe and Deux Riviere getting another 20-30 cms of snow from Friday to Monday (mostly Sat/sun) but that's all changed now.. a bit of rain this week and maybe 5-10 cms on Monday..  Can't make it out this weekend though  :-(

We'll have to try to make a trip up there next year, Mike!

5 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Saturday, around noon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1C1yp-RBYg&feature=youtu.be

You bet Paul, we'll make it happen! 

Awesome Video.  Bout as close to Missing Link this season I'll be getting is through that Video.  

I was up there this weekend and took a couple of videos.  Here's one that shows all the snow they received last week.

6 minutes ago, Grimm said:

I was up there this weekend and took a couple of videos.  Here's one that shows all the snow they received last week.

which trail was that, not one trail sign. 

18 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

which trail was that, not one trail sign. 

Why would there need to be any trail signs? The video might have covered 2 km. at a maximum so it may well be the case that no signs were required because there wasn't a curve or corner that was thought by the club volunteers to not be safely navigable at 50 km.

That 197 is an AWESOME trail. I will often run it both ways, solo, for exercise and thrills.

It's built for logging trucks, so it flows. There's very few straights longer than 100 meters. The turns just keep coming, and no road crossings for 40+ km.

There's a couple of well marked bridges, and  any turns you might be surprised by are WELL marked. There's 3 or 4 good rest stops along the way.

I really look forward to introducing people to this trail. It's a real jewel in the Missing Link's crown.

The trail is well marked, just no need to have the trail number posted every few hundred meters over a 40 km long stretch.  After I stopped, I met a couple of sledders coming around the corner. 

I'm afraid that I need to ask - What is "The Missing Link"?

6 minutes ago, Ox said:

I'm afraid that I need to ask - What is "The Missing Link"?

lol, its the Snowmobile club east of Mattawa.

24 minutes ago, Nunz said:

lol, its the Snowmobile club east of Mattawa.

Missing link between mattawa and renfew club, hence its name. These trails were all created to make ride around the park possible. Apparantly the lodge owner of speckle lake lodge in Barry's bay, got together with other lodge owners around the park, one of the originals was Mike from mattawa golf and ski to create rap ride. I thought that was cool. Mike is still running mattawa golf and ski today with his wife Brenda. Great guy. 

It's my "home club".  Sledding as it SHOULD be.

Great group of people going the extra mile. The Saturday feeds put on by the local auxiliary  group at the community center are worth the trip alone. Silent auctions and supper is on my calendar for next year already. Poker run is a blast, and growing every year.

Thanks, Ian, for introducing me to this area, and twisting my arm to return to sledding after a 30 year hiatus. 

On 2018-04-11 at 9:43 AM, manotickmike said:

That 197 is an AWESOME trail. I will often run it both ways, solo, for exercise and thrills.

It's built for logging trucks, so it flows. There's very few straights longer than 100 meters. The turns just keep coming, and no road crossings for 40+ km.

There's a couple of well marked bridges, and  any turns you might be surprised by are WELL marked. There's 3 or 4 good rest stops along the way.

I really look forward to introducing people to this trail. It's a real jewel in the Missing Link's crown.

SSHHHH! We don't want everyone to jump off the 'A' trail and use 197, and 195 and ....Really the A Trail is much nicer, stay there.;-)

OK! See you out there this weekend! Pray for snow!!!!!!!!

P.S. I'm the guy with googly eyes on the front of my red Apex.

1 hour ago, tricky said:

....Really the A Trail is much nicer, stay there.;-)

Too funny!

Someone ( Dale ) actually took us down into a valley...too steep on both sides for groomers. Pointed to a spot where 2 trails join...the missing link. 

Great trails!

I mean great TOP trail. Yeah..stay on the main trail.. nothing to see on the side trails LOL.

On 4/11/2018 at 7:55 AM, Grimm said:

When did you take this video?  I was up there on Sunday and my group thought the trails hadn't been groomed because they were a bit rough, but otherwise great..  but if this video was taken on Saturday then there was definitely some grooming done...

Brent said they had groomed Wednesday after 15cm, and thankfully, left the 15cm they got Friday for us to play in. 

We heard it had become a bit rough by Saturday night, as more than a few guys were getting their "Ya-Ya"s out. 

There were more people out than I've ever seen Saturday, but still not what I'd call crowded. 

Truck is packed.

The forecast is ALL over the place. Hoping it doesn't track too far S.

8 hours ago, paulslund said:

When did you take this video?  I was up there on Sunday and my group thought the trails hadn't been groomed because they were a bit rough, but otherwise great..  but if this video was taken on Saturday then there was definitely some grooming done...

That video was taken on Saturday before noon.  By the end of the day and on Sunday, it was all packed down from the sleds.

12 hours ago, manotickmike said:

OK! See you out there this weekend! Pray for snow!!!!!!!!

P.S. I'm the guy with googly eyes on the front of my red Apex.

I just passed my eye test for the year. Glasses work.

I went for a rip on the Missing Link trails yesterday for what may be the last hurrah.  While there is plenty of snow on the trails and pretty smooth too, it's the sections where the sun is hitting the trail hard and where the trail runs along side a plowed road that are suffering.  With all the rain forecast in the area for Monday and the warmer temps, I can't see the trails being open beyond today.

While this sledding season started off so poorly, it was this area that kept me riding and next year, the money for my trail pass will be going to the Missing Links Snowmobile Club.  Hats off to them!

I did come across a dead moose on the side of the trail. It looks like it somehow trapped itself between 2 trees and died of exhaustion.  Poor guy.

P_20180414_134033_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20180414_134056_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20180414_133950_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Must have been fairly recent, otherwise the wolves would have feasted by now!

Archived