Southern Ontario Polaris Dealer Closing

scottyr

My long time Polaris dealer, Go Performance in Dorchester has decided to close the doors on May 31.    Todd was basically squeezed out by Polaris after they made completely unreasonable demands for sled orders and dealership upgrades.    I am disappointed to see him close as I have been dealing with him since 1998 but I dont blame him one bit after seeing the list of demands they made to him.  

Polaris is taking back all of his sled/atv inventory at the end of the month.   I know he is having some pretty massive parts/accessory sales coming up and I am trying to pass along the word as Polaris made him sign off that he cannot advertise a "going out of business" sale.    

Their phone number is (519)268-7533 if you are looking for anything in particular.   

Not the first time one of the manufacturers have made demands about the number of new sleds a dealer must take and the dealer has said no with the same result... too bad it happens.

So both Polaris and Yamaha are dumping their small dealers that are the core of their service network just like Ski Doo did years ago.  For me those decisions mean  as a touring sledder,  I will now have no choices when I am going to buy a new sled.

6 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

So both Polaris and Yamaha are dumping their small dealers that are the core of their service network just like Ski Doo did years ago.  For me those decisions mean  as a touring sledder,  I will now have no choices when I am going to buy a new sled.

Thankfully there are still some great indepdant shops like wild bill that can fix all brands. Warranty work still need manufacturer dealer network though. Less choice might mean some riders will exit the sport. 

How far are the nearest Polaris dealers? Look @ the size of Huntsville and the distances to the nearest dealers.

When you saddlebag for 5-7 days, at some time or another riding new to relatively new sleds you are going to need replacement parts. We have found over the years that if we limped into a dealer with a problem on a sled that was less than 4 years old there was a pretty good chance that they would get us going the same day. A number of times if the dealer didn't have the part needed on the shelf, they would rob it off an inventory sled new or used to get us going. Often same parts are used for a few production years so as long as your sled is less than 4-5 years old the borrowing from new sled inventory is often possible.

My point with this is that I want to be riding a sled make where I can find dealers with parts and some new sled inventory when the day comes that I need them and it will come.

Our group of 4 has has 30 annual trips together and have been lucky enough to only have to go get the truck once for a storm that put the bottom end out of the motor. We depend on the dealers along our routes to keep us going. 

14 hours ago, revrnd said:

How far are the nearest Polaris dealers? Look @ the size of Huntsville and the distances to the nearest dealers.

Huntsville is not a sled friendly town Revrnd....

4 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Huntsville is not a sled friendly town Revrnd....

Maybe, but there has to be people in the area that are sledders.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Maybe, but there has to be people in the area that are sledders.

There are lots of sledders but why no dealers i don't get it.:wtf: There are some smaller indy shops . 

1 minute ago, snowchopper said:

There are lots of sledders but why no dealers i don't get it.:wtf: There are some smaller indy shops . 

It's not like there's no money in the area and/or @ the end of the road (see Ardbeg LOL).

4 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

business that's reliant on weather and seasonal with a relatively small customer base can be tough to survive in when there is lots of competition

4 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

business that's reliant on weather and seasonal with a relatively small customer base can be tough to survive in when there is lots of competition

Where do people buy their PWCs?

7 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Where do people buy their PWCs?

Most of them need to cover the full spectrum to be viable year round. I know for example Poo made PWC's but didn't they stop around 2005. So now you're Poo dealer needs to also have a relationship with another manufacturer for the other seasons of the year unless he just wants to rely on ATV sales for the summer, spring and fall. Still not a huge market when you think of the total potential customer base spread across the province. If they want PWC's then they need to look at BRP or Yamaha who will likely want them to carry more than just their PWC's. Then there's the inventory you pay interest on where the factory tells you how much of each you will take each year. You don't and they say goodbye to you as a dealer as we have seen.

They are doing it here in the US also. Mega-Dealers are all that's going to be left. Very Sad as the small Dealers have always given me a lot better Service.

8 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Most of them need to cover the full spectrum to be viable year round. I know for example Poo made PWC's but didn't they stop around 2005. So now you're Poo dealer needs to also have a relationship with another manufacturer for the other seasons of the year unless he just wants to rely on ATV sales for the summer, spring and fall. Still not a huge market when you think of the total potential customer base spread across the province. If they want PWC's then they need to look at BRP or Yamaha who will likely want them to carry more than just their PWC's. Then there's the inventory you pay interest on where the factory tells you how much of each you will take each year. You don't and they say goodbye to you as a dealer as we have seen.

I was just asking a rhetorical question across all brands.

I'm pretty sure most of the BRP dealers all carrying all product & possibly Evinrude motors.

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

It's not like there's no money in the area and/or @ the end of the road (see Ardbeg LOL).

2 of us got food poisoning there one day...

Made for a whopper of a night - let me tell yuh! :-(

47 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I was just asking a rhetorical question across all brands.

I'm pretty sure most of the BRP dealers all carrying all product & possibly Evinrude motors.

.Not true my dealer only carries brp atv's, side by sides and snowmobiles. No outboards and no personal watercraft. I travel 1.0 hr to go to this dealer, since brp took the license away from my favourite local dealer. If they can the one I am going to now,  have to go back to polaris or Yamaha. 

1 hour ago, Ox said:

2 of us got food poisoning there one day...

Made for a whopper of a night - let me tell yuh! :-(

Took over 2 hrs for a hamburger and fries.... Never again.

Rickwards is a Polaris dealer in Kearney, about 30 mins north of Huntsville, on the 518 towards Sand lake. Been in business 50 + years.Nothing fancy, but in this business, 50 years means the people must be coming back.

https://www.rickwards.com/index.htm

Archived