Heading to Cochrane

ChrisSkiDoo

Hello everybody..

Some buddys and I are heading up to Cochrane on Sunday for our last ride of the season..Can anybody tell how the trails are holding up and places to check out while where out sledding..And where staying at a place called Panda buffet and motel ..Is this a descent place..Buddys say it rite on the trail access ..I never been to Cochrane before so they did all the bookings..Thaxx for your info..

Chris

Trails are still good.  The canyon loop will be closed.  Ive never stayed there so can not comment.  I would head towards kap and do some loops around there as you can not pass through there anyway.  The A trail is closed as well as the l123

Head to the greenwater fire tower.  Great views and and a great trail.

Can't help you on the motel, could you let us know when you get back. 

X2 on the fire tower.

Base camp closes Sundsy and once it closes they have to turn the loop Red as there’s no gas at the top. 

Welcome to OC Chris.

Thaxx you for the heads up..And for the welcome and info..Its a 9 hour drive for us..

Chris

22 minutes ago, ChrisSkiDoo said:

Thaxx you for the heads up..And for the welcome and info..Its a 9 hour drive for us..

Chris

If you don't like it there go to west way or thrift lodge. Have a great trip, 

From the Kap Sno-Rovers Faceplant page:

Hi everyone . Here is a brief explanation as to why we closed the "A" trail through Kapuskasing and the L-123 at the Kapuskasing river . Last Monday , April 2nd we received a call from Rayonier that they were beginning to gradually open the dam near the railroad bridge, adjacent to the snowmobile trail on the river . We were also advised by Hydro Mega who are approximately 16 km upstream on the Kapuskasing river that they were going to do the same on their dam . As well , the dam on Kapuskasing lake upstream has also been gradually opened. Because we can't guaranty the safety of the ice , the Kap Sno Rovers cannot consciously allow sledders across the river at these two crossings . If you do so , you're doing it at your own risk .

Thanks, revfnd

" Red means red - closed "

Hopefully events like this ( rationale is your safety! ) will help sledders ' get it '.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Thanks, revfnd

" Red means red - closed "

Hopefully events like this ( rationale is your safety! ) will help sledders ' get it '.

X2

I'd hit it! ;)

2 hours ago, Ox said:

I'd hit it! ;)

Especially the L123.  That's crown land fyi....

The Kap river can be a long cross if the ice is questionable.  I sure wouldn't be there, just sayin',

The thing with that river is, if they're playing with water levels, it means the river bank entry / exit points of the trail might only be compromised slightly.  Almost certainly there'll be some cracking near the banks, and water might flow onto the ice from the cracks.  By no means is this a dangerous thing, unless it completely floods the river surface to the point of being impassable.  Cracks less than a ski width are of little concern.  With the surface area that a sled covers, its traction and ability to cover uneven terrain, I'd not be overly concerned with a river that has risen or dropped a few inches, or even a couple of feet, so long as the entry/exit is passable.  Remember that the river ice is still 3 to 5 feet thick, and if it wasn't attached all around by shore and dams, it'd sit there and float. A dozen sleds on that amount of ice wouldn't even flinch that big of a 'berg.  You'd have to watch Ice Road Truckers" to get a better idea of what a lake or river can hold.

Remember that 3' of good ice will carry a dozer ...

IMHO, the Kap club, while being prudent, was over-reacting to potential changes in water levels that may not even be noticed at the shoreline.  I believe that careful observation of the trail crossings, and placing the trail status to Limited, would have been more realistic.  (I don't however, pay their insurance premiums either ...)

At the camp this past week up by Kap heading home today. The A trail through Kap on Saturday  no good lack of snow but the L123 and all feeder trails into Kap were perfect still lots of snow . Did a few day trips up to Hearst and 1 to Cochrane all trails were great 1100 miles for the week. As for the Kap closure of the trails they are just trying to keep everyone safe and informed doing their due diligence. If you don’t know the area especially rivers and lakes be cautious. Ride safe!!! 

I heard from Matt and Micron at midnight. They did 616km yesterday. Did the canyon loop and did a loop to Timmins and Iroquois Falls and back to Cochrane. Matt filled the 800 Proclimb for $87.00 and glad to get it. Base camp was packed. Lots of trucks and trailers at the Thriftlodge. No problems with either sled. Trails were good except it was getting pretty bare around Timmins and the trails were getting rough fromTimmins to Iroquois Falls and back to Cochrane. It looked like there hadn't been any grooming for a while in some places. People up there were saying that Wawa, Dub, Hornpayne and Hearst ares were still going strong. That is probably their last ride of the year. They are heading to Orillia today.

Archived