End of season prognosis

700renegade

I've been itching to get up one last time for a 3-day marathon ride - never seen conditions hang on so well this late in the year for northern Ontario....

Easter season plans and such kept me away thru this weekend - I'm wondering if anyone here has thoughts on what might happen for the weekend of April 14th ?

If possible I'd start in Searchmont ( or Wawa ) and do the Chapleau / Timmins / Kap / Hearst loop, or possibly entertain some of the new western legs to Marathon or Longlac if the big loop isn't fit.

Are clubs still grooming?

Except for a big rain, do you think the trails will hang on thru the 15th?  I don't care if the last mile in/out of town is down to pavement, we deal with conditions like that all the time here in Wisconsin.

thanks in advance for insight....

15 minutes ago, 700renegade said:

I've been itching to get up one last time for a 3-day marathon ride - never seen conditions hang on so well this late in the year for northern Ontario....

Easter season plans and such kept me away thru this weekend - I'm wondering if anyone here has thoughts on what might happen for the weekend of April 14th ?

If possible I'd start in Searchmont ( or Wawa ) and do the Chapleau / Timmins / Kap / Hearst loop, or possibly entertain some of the new western legs to Marathon or Longlac if the big loop isn't fit.

Are clubs still grooming?

Except for a big rain, do you think the trails will hang on thru the 15th?  I don't care if the last mile in/out of town is down to pavement, we deal with conditions like that all the time here in Wisconsin.

thanks in advance for insight....

Big loop could be problematic if ice bridges give way. This late in season anything can happen and lots of pavement to run for food and fuel in bigger towns. Wawa and Timmins was getting bare in town and hard to get around 2 weeks ago. Imagine it is worse now. 

Based on the long range forecast I would say the conditions in our area (Hornepayne) should continue to be good.  Minimal melting in our forecast and our base is still pretty think and rock hard.  Wawa was out grooming earlier this week and conditions looked great from the pictures I saw.  

Again things can change rapidly but based on current forecasts I am planning on several late April rides to collect signs and generally get out (especially once the walleye season closes on the 14th).  I am still holding out hope to ride South to the Kaby river (division with the Dubreuillville club) May 1st just to say I did.

Also we have not groomed for the past couple of weeks but the trails are still in some of the best shape of the season.  Traffic has died way down here at least (saw the first sleds in 3 days here in town) and the cold nights have the base set up like concrete.  Although if it stays cold with minimal snow I would suggest scratchers especially early in the morning if we continue to get the warm during the day, cold at night weather pattern.  

Ditto up in Hearst.  Hard crusty surface in the mornings .... bare parking lots everywhere. But I believe trail conditions will hang on for about a week ... after that, no-one knows....

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

Ditto up in Hearst.  Hard crusty surface in the mornings .... bare parking lots everywhere. But I believe trail conditions will hang on for about a week ... after that, no-one knows....

Mid April that is pretty good. If I lived there my snowmobile would be worn out. Lol 

We just rode Kirkland Lake to Hearst and back with some side loops in Timmins area. 1400 kms. Rode April 7-9. 

Kirkland to cochrane was great on the trail but a number of bare spots and road crossings were dirt. A number of sections were down to dirt - anywhere near roads. Cochrane to kap was hit and miss. The day up trails were quite icy but on the way back they were great. Same story some bare spots too. Less new snow in this area compared to Kirkland. 

The Kap trail through town is closed and it should be although it is passable. Not much snow and lots of dirt - we took the highway bridge over the river. Kap to Hearst could use more fresh snow as the trails were icy and a fair number of bare spots but still overall good. 

In the timminis area some trails are bare and there are a number of sections with little snow. Trail to gogama and back was the best although it is closed now. 

Saw at least 4 groomers: 2 in the cochrane area and 2 near Kirkland lake so they are still grooming. But with little traffic and little new snow not much can be done in some spots. 

Overall i would say the trails were good and at the very least passable. Clubs are doing great work with the extended season. 

This is what I remember so if I missed something - sorry. We also ride in all conditions so take what I say for what it’s worth. 

1 hour ago, willb said:

We just rode Kirkland Lake to Hearst and back with some side loops in Timmins area. 1400 kms. Rode April 7-9. 

Kirkland to cochrane was great on the trail but a number of bare spots and road crossings were dirt. A number of sections were down to dirt - anywhere near roads. Cochrane to kap was hit and miss. The day up trails were quite icy but on the way back they were great. Same story some bare spots too. Less new snow in this area compared to Kirkland. 

The Kap trail through town is closed and it should be although it is passable. Not much snow and lots of dirt - we took the highway bridge over the river. Kap to Hearst could use more fresh snow as the trails were icy and a fair number of bare spots but still overall good. 

In the timminis area some trails are bare and there are a number of sections with little snow. Trail to gogama and back was the best although it is closed now. 

Saw at least 4 groomers: 2 in the cochrane area and 2 near Kirkland lake so they are still grooming. But with little traffic and little new snow not much can be done in some spots. 

Overall i would say the trails were good and at the very least passable. Clubs are doing great work with the extended season. 

This is what I remember so if I missed something - sorry. We also ride in all conditions so take what I say for what it’s worth. 

Did you use scratchers and or wheels on skis to navigate pavement like parking lots and bare highway bridges? 

Scratchers were down here and there - yes. No wheels. I have shaper bars and they seem to last quite well. Although the 1.6” ice cobra track didn't fair too well but with 5500 kms I guess you can’t really ask of too much more. 

21 minutes ago, willb said:

Scratchers were down here and there - yes. No wheels. I have shaper bars and they seem to last quite well. Although the 1.6” ice cobra track didn't fair too well but with 5500 kms I guess you can’t really ask of too much more. 

Did the 1.6" Ice Cobra Track start ripping apart?

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

Did the 1.6" Ice Cobra Track start ripping apart?

Yes the lugs are ripping off. A number on the outside edge. You have a similar issue?

1 hour ago, willb said:

Yes the lugs are ripping off. A number on the outside edge. You have a similar issue?

We've had a couple of cases doing this. 

I won't ride anymore... unless we get a major storm.

9 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I won't ride anymore... unless we get a major storm.

Sure, Denis.

I call BS.

LOLOL 

Better go this fun Sunday. Might be last one below zero for you. 

11 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Better go this fun Sunday. Might be last one below zero for you. 

This weekend may be a challenge just getting anywhere. Lots of freezing rain in the forecast and travel advisories. I hope they got it wrong on the freezing rain and lots of ice.

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, meme and text

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, willb said:

No, but I heard that Ski-Doo (BRP) doesn't want to cover the issues even if the track came on the machine???

Hope they take care of you.

49 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

No, but I heard that Ski-Doo (BRP) doesn't want to cover the issues even if the track came on the machine???

Hope they take care of you.

Yeah doesn’t sound positive. But it’s at the dealer right now getting “inspected”. 

5 hours ago, willb said:

Yeah doesn’t sound positive. But it’s at the dealer right now getting “inspected”. 

How many km's on track? Track is a huge grey area with respect to warranty. If the problem shows up early at like 500 hundred km's, they usually cover it. Good luck. 

I know they still offer the same track with carbide molded in - the ice rippers - after all the issues with them tearing apart.  They can still be ordered on new machines, but dealers are telling people they are no good and that BRP will not cover them.

What kind of business is that?  Stop offering them!!! 

5 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

I know they still offer the same track with carbide molded in - the ice rippers - after all the issues with them tearing apart.  They can still be ordered on new machines, but dealers are telling people they are no good and that BRP will not cover them.

What kind of business is that?  Stop offering them!!! 

So is it better to just install the igrips or is there a pre studed track that will hold up to normal wear and tear. Sledjunk said he was having good luck, not sure what he is using. 

I had a Cobra 1.6 without pre-studded carbide.  The track was fine, but the paddles seemed very thin.  I don't believe there have been any major problems on most tracks with the pre-stud, but the 1.6" lug Cobra pre-studded seems to have issues.

I have put screws in all of mine now, and no issues, but I only put them into heavier lugs and in a pattern which balances out.  The weight of the screws is almost nothing compared to the studs I ran years ago.  Just want to control better on icy stuff, not use them for grip in drag racing.  Putting more screws on the SnowCheck sled too after I pick it up.

Won't go without anymore.  If I could have gotten a pre-stud on the 1.75" Lug track on my new sled, I would not be forced to put screws. 

I put a Cobra 1.35 on my Apex, about as tall as I can go. It's studded.

I won't ride without studs. I've seen what happens to a rider in over his head without them, and I have been fortunate to have HAD studs, and been able to maintain my control and avoid them. 

The edges of the "paddles" are pretty torn up. 

It has a LOT more oomph getting underway, and is MUCH better in deep snow than the Ripsaw I had previously, but I doubt it will last anywhere near as long.

My next sled has the capacity for a significantly taller track. I won't be buying a Cobra for it. 

Archived