Show your 2018 pics.

MR WEEZ

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Timber Wolf is gray with white and black markings and is the biggest and most cunning of all the wolf breeds in Canada. If you say it was a very large wolf then it was probably a Timber. They also have a very large footprint.

Ya I gotcha your just using slang/common name they are all the same species just people call them different names.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaspe 2018

5abfcc97dbd0a_G00507917160.thumb.jpg.56b17a15ee17a98d254d1b3270e33363.jpg5abfcd11a77f6_IMG_20180223_13330416576.thumb.jpg.4b63727efbce831a4490772efb26a25a.jpg

Chapleau 2018

IMG_20180321_1633384.thumb.jpg.3777de79721042df670b17487abcef50.jpgIMG_20180322_0938022.thumb.jpg.1a0107360491dfbc51d2dd556ea30642.jpg

Following up on an earlier post: Sled Recovery 2018

It was painful to haul back a dead sled when the trails were starting to look this good. Ah well, here's to a sled upgrade and a better 2018/2019 season!

p.s. thanks again, Evil

20180225_101059.jpg

20180225_101132.jpg

20180225_105257.jpg

20180225_110717.jpg

20180225_110725.jpg

North of Halfway HavenIMG_0658.JPG.18eac1ec0e5a02d59b15c9d0ad6087e5.JPG

I think I pretty much posted all the pics I took this winter LOL

20180214_145731_Burst04.thumb.jpg.e6665b60bcfa64feb0be462422603310.jpg

A section of 747 that reminds me of northern Ontario:

20180214_150229.thumb.jpg.cba51a6041df2a5032d1ea80cf53d52e.jpg

TOP A east of Moonbeam:

20180316_113356.thumb.jpg.9f5f403bcfcf083a163f0ed6aeb284a2.jpg

4 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Following up on an earlier post: Sled Recovery 2018

It was painful to haul back a dead sled when the trails were starting to look this good. Ah well, here's to a sled upgrade and a better 2018/2019 season!

p.s. thanks again, Evil

20180225_101059.jpg

20180225_101132.jpg

20180225_105257.jpg

20180225_110717.jpg

20180225_110725.jpg

Hey Claire Voyant we followed you guys with that Deaddoo on the A trail  from near downtown right to where you turned off to go to the groomer shed on Monday morning Feb.25th. If I'd known it was you we would have followed you to the shed and said hello  Thought that was a pretty cool way to move the sled. It sure didn't seem to be hurting the trail. Sorry about your sled issues.

6 hours ago, gobills said:

Ya I gotcha your just using slang/common name they are all the same species just people call them different names.

Not really gobills. The black, gray and arctic wolves are all smaller wolves than the timber wolf. The timber travels and hunts mostly alone or with his mate. The only time you see more than two is if the pups are with them and the female usually keeps them well hidden. The black, gray and arctic wolves will hunt in packs but normally hunt smaller prey. A timber will take down a deer alone but a male and female will take down a moose if the snow conditions are right. The others won't take anything down alone much like a coyote.

8 hours ago, gobills said:

In Ontario we have Eastern breed and Western breed ... the Western subspecies is what we refer to as the timberwolf. And yes it is significantly larger than any other breed, and yes almost always seen alone. 

11 hours ago, catinental couch said:

It is VERY rare that you would get to see a true wolf, especially a Timber Wolf. They are very smart and their hearing and sense of smell is amazing. The few times you may see one is if they are protecting their kill. 

I have seen hundreds. There was a pack living right across the highway from my house when I lived in Coniston, we would see them almost daily. And we would almost always see them as we rode the northern trails. they like to come onto the trail as it makes travel easy. There is a pack of about 15 living in the area of Chiniguchi lake, we would see them when we rode the lake all the time usually in the southern portion, and at times in north and also on laura lake. 

Not really gobills. The black, gray and arctic wolves are all smaller wolves than the timber wolf. The timber travels and hunts mostly alone or with his mate. The only time you see more than two is if the pups are with them and the female usually keeps them well hidden. The black, gray and arctic wolves will hunt in packs but normally hunt smaller prey. A timber will take down a deer alone but a male and female will take down a moose if the snow conditions are right. The others won't take anything down alone much like a coyote.

There are only two species of wolf in Ontario, the Grey, which is what you call the timber wolf(Canis Lupas), and the eastern which is much smaller(Canis Lycaon). they both live in packs with a male alpha that has a manogamous mate being the leader, these packs can be as large as forty and as small as five. You will see the 2 adults and also juvaniles as well as yearlings all travelling together.

36 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Sorry  ill disagree with you here there are only 2 kinds of wolves in Ontario.  One being the eastern wolf and the western wolf.

Canis Lupus and canis lycaon.  These are the east and western breeds.  Some of the eastern  north american breeds have a small bit of eastern breeds in them these have breed before.

Caninential what you are referring to as the Arctic wolf, black, (grey which is wrong) is what most would call the eastern wolf, the timber wolf you are referring to is actually the "grey wolf" you are referring too is a larger wolf.

Arictic wolves are just the common name catinental, theses are all under the same canis breed.  I am very well aware of how wolves hunt and breed.  The majority of their food will come from weak animals that have died, this is why wolves have such strong jaws enabling them to crush the frozen animal.

After 3 generations of trapping in mid to northern Ontario, you want to call me wrong, have at it. I am not getting into a disagreement with either of you. If you have seen what I have seen, you wouldn't make those statements.

Im not calling you wrong I'm just disagreeing with what your typing.  Im informed and educated as well on animals.  Studied them in school and my fathers best friend who lives in Dawson city and runs the 2nd largest trapping line in Canada has educated me on wolves and other animals, and also runs a store in Dawson city.

Got to be at least 2 wolves, one that huffed and puffed and blew the piggies house down, and the other one that dressed as grandma.

21 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Timber Wolf is gray with white and black markings and is the biggest and most cunning of all the wolf breeds in Canada. If you say it was a very large wolf then it was probably a Timber. They also have a very large footprint.

That's my size 12 boot.

20141207_101746.jpg

only some pics would upload. First pic is at abitibi canyon last weekend. Others are Mary lake and just south of Kearney. Over 4000km this year. Cat needs some warranty work before next season lol. Started running like garbage on the way back to trailer in englehart last weekend.

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

1 hour ago, gobills said:

2185.jpeg

What's that woodland creature dressed in red?

Rare canyon sasquatch.  He's a hard species to follow as he's a very fast species.  Normally all you see is a cloud of white snow when tracking him.

Now see - I'd'a had to'a put tracks on that!

20180314_125433.jpg

Perfect day for our last ride this season

IMG_2390.JPG

I posted most of my pictures for 2017/2018 on the Kap thread. Here is one from my other ride with friends that I found to be interesting. I think would make a good album cover if we were holding instruments. Day 3 of the RAP, trails were excellent back in early February.

Jerry

P2160025.JPG

Archived