Caution / Warning - North Bay truck & trailer Blitz

Boy Oh Buoy

12 hours ago, revrnd said:

We had a '79 GMC version back before everyone & their uncle had 1.

We've seen people lose lumber out of the back of the trucks onto the street. More lumber hanging out past the tailgate than in the box.

Can’t fix stupid, never could

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw a very , very rusty trailer behind a Colorado today southbound on hwy 11 . Looked like one of those trailers that Home depot sells. One of the crossmembers was so rotten it had broke off the one side and was hanging down almost dragging on the road. This is the crap the Mto should be worried about .  

2 hours ago, snowchopper said:

Saw a very , very rusty trailer behind a Colorado today southbound on hwy 11 . Looked like one of those trailers that Home depot sells. One of the crossmembers was so rotten it had broke off the one side and was hanging down almost dragging on the road. This is the crap the Mto should be worried about .  

Totally agree but they worry about the guys girls with sled atv trailers that are nice and clean basically brand new.  Then you see all of these campers loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink and they don't have to worry.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Yes, and mattresses tied down with twine or bungee cords.

How about a mattress not tied down at all. Not the first time to see a mattress on the roof of a car driving through the city with 4 arms out the windows holding those little rope handles on the sides

12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

How about a mattress not tied down at all. Not the first time to see a mattress on the roof of a car driving through the city with 4 arms out the windows holding those little rope handles on the sides

Yes, I have actually seen that several times.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

What could possibly happen? :rolleyes:

Back in the 80s I got stuck behind the Clampetts on the 115 before it was 4 laned. A dresser mirror came off the truck & the frame was tumbling down the highway. I turned it into kindling. Pulled over to make sure the rad was OK. Luckily my truck was lifted & the bits probably went under the bumper & axle.

Can't be as bad as a 1 day old XMR 1000 quad rolling down the highway in your face.... yup, it happened this past Saturday.... 1 strap and a parking brake, bike in Neutral..... apparently that's not enough.... 

20180513_102435.thumb.jpg.a23e91ecac3e701a4ae17feffde37ad6.jpg

20180513_102418.thumb.jpg.05a612979f033ef11fccf8cfe778c59b.jpg

Literally 1 day old, 30km on it .... probably 3 to 4 grand in damage. I guess you trade your brains for a bike ... last week an identical bike 89km buddy submerged it over the bars..... stupid is as stupid does ma'am.....

Trying to figure out what my bought in 2013 ,  16 ft steel landscape trailer from "Advantage" weighs. The sticker says RGVW is 3150 KG , and Allowed weights is 1650 KG ... so is it as simple as subtract 1650 from 3150 ? ............If it is then the dam trailer weighs far too much, and I should  of bought an Aluminum one. Although I see from reading this long thread, that MTO might chose to use the 3150 kg no matter if it is loaded with less) ..and add it to my 3000 kg my Sierra 1500  is licensed at, and then I will  be over the 4500 kg limit anyway and will get fined. One other question, do they just fine you are do you then need to somehow unload weight , to proceed on your way. (in that case I might be leaving my wife and her luggage on side of roadand come back and get her later.    It is getting obvious I am better off to drive late at night or early morn to avoid MTO ghost cars.

1 hour ago, Panther340 said:

Trying to figure out what my bought in 2013 ,  16 ft steel landscape trailer from "Advantage" weighs. The sticker says RGVW is 3150 KG , and Allowed weights is 1650 KG ... so is it as simple as subtract 1650 from 3150 ? ............If it is then the dam trailer weighs far too much, and I should  of bought an Aluminum one. Although I see from reading this long thread, that MTO might chose to use the 3150 kg no matter if it is loaded with less) ..and add it to my 3000 kg my Sierra 1500  is licensed at, and then I will  be over the 4500 kg limit anyway and will get fined. One other question, do they just fine you are do you then need to somehow unload weight , to proceed on your way. (in that case I might be leaving my wife and her luggage on side of roadand come back and get her later.    It is getting obvious I am better off to drive late at night or early morn to avoid MTO ghost cars.

I would go to a gravel pit or feed mill and get your trailer weighed and the truck for that matter. Then you know for sure.

I believe that if the ticket is for lack of yellow sticker(s) they will let you drive on. If the ticket is for overweight (truck/trailer/loads weighs more than  the RGW you have the truck licensed for) then the officer may require you to lighten the load(s) to the weight you have the truck licensed for.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:12 PM, Panther340 said:

It is the luck of the draw. We got pulled over on the 69 south of 141 by the MTO on a Sunday evening in heavy southbound traffic. A very short argument later and we were on our way.

OK, so which of y'all was piloting this h'yah rig?

This was parked outside the Canadian Tire in The Soo.

Pretty sure that it had a Canuk tag on it.

???

RedneckCamper_zps89i5g1yf.jpg

32 minutes ago, Ox said:

OK, so which of y'all was piloting this h'yah rig?

This was parked outside the Canadian Tire in The Soo.

Pretty sure that it had a Canuk tag on it.

???

RedneckCamper_zps89i5g1yf.jpg

17 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Good grief.

Should've had the set up I saw on I-81 on Fri' in NY or PA. Pickup towing a trailer (made from an old pickup box) w/ a slide in camper in it.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Should've had the set up I saw on I-81 on Fri' in NY or PA. Pickup towing a trailer (made from an old pickup box) w/ a slide in camper in it.

OK, so y'all don't have the corner on the redneck market .... -_-

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Greggie said:

Is this the solution to avail the yellow safety stickers?

1554D8A5-CAFA-4139-AF8E-3E45F52490E5.jpeg

Looks like a homemade 'toy hauler'.

Did you know?

Starting July 1, 2018 drivers of vehicles requiring an A-F class licence, vehicles requiring a Commercial Vehicle Operator's Registration (CVOR) and road building machines will be prohibited from having any presence of alcohol in their blood when behind the wheel of these types of vehicles. These drivers will also be prohibited from having any presence of cannabis in their system as well as other drugs that can be detected by an oral fluid screening device.
If police determine that you have the presence of cannabis or alcohol in your system and/or that you are impaired by any substance including illegal drugs, prescription drugs or over-the-counter medications, you will face severe consequences and potential criminal charges.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/impaired-driving.shtml

Copied from something I found on FB.

That and a few $ worth of actual enforcement might actually help.

I find it infuriating when the powers that be go to all the trouble of creating new regulations, and boast about solving the problem.

Then there's no enforcement. 

Roadways in my area resemble a hockey game with no referee.

6 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

That and a few $ worth of actual enforcement might actually help.

I find it infuriating when the powers that be go to all the trouble of creating new regulations, and boast about solving the problem.

Then there's no enforcement. 

Roadways in my area resemble a hockey game with no referee.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:04 PM, crispy said:

The numbers dont lie. Since CVOR, problems have sky rocketed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/fatal-truck-collisions-1.4753960

Over regulation KILLED the transport business and this garbage is what we have left. Aint ever gonna be perfect, but the time of Gov't making profitable business practically impossible MUST end asafp.

I think a lot of it is 'fly by night' operators undercutting reputable firms for loads. Charging low rates & paying wages that nobody in their right mind would work for. As a result you get inexperienced 'wheel holders' driving marginal equipment.

Archived