Caution / Warning - North Bay truck & trailer Blitz

Boy Oh Buoy

It would've been funny interesting to ask the previous MTO Minister (Professor Honeydew) where a person would find concise & clear explanation of our trailering laws. Probably wouldn't have a clue.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might as well ask Roy from the Mayberry police force, or Eenis from Hazard County....

3 hours ago, muddy tires said:

Yes I have.  Looked through the elaws site and also through some MTO materials and the MTO website (not very helpful).  Very similar threads have appeared on several forums I frequent.  Always lots of people confused and lots of falsehoods and rumours but few statements that can be backed up by reference to a law, rule or regulation. 

What have I found to be supportable?  4,500 kg threshold (greater of GVWR, registered weight or actual weight), exemption for campers, no requirement for log books or to cross scales when for personal use.  Most everything else seems to be fake news.

You can try this site.: https://horttrades.com/mto---annual-truck-and-trailer-safety-inspections

it explains much of what has been asked here, otherwise refer to the e-laws website.  If you want a dry long read. .

I have been fined before by towing my boat(non stickered) behind my commercial stickered truck a few years back.  If no one wants to believe it then just suck it up and drive it until you have a problem.  I still do not sticker my boat trailer, and just drive it with risk.

6 hours ago, snowman said:

You can try this site.: https://horttrades.com/mto---annual-truck-and-trailer-safety-inspections

it explains much of what has been asked here, otherwise refer to the e-laws website.  If you want a dry long read. .

I have been fined before by towing my boat(non stickered) behind my commercial stickered truck a few years back.  If no one wants to believe it then just suck it up and drive it until you have a problem.  I still do not sticker my boat trailer, and just drive it with risk.

Did the fine exceed the costs/fees of going thru the sticker process for a truck and 2 trailers? By how much?

33 minutes ago, mcZEd382 said:

Did the fine exceed the costs/fees of going thru the sticker process for a truck and 2 trailers? By howmuch?

It was about 5 years ago and I believe it was around $200 for no sticker on trailer..maybe changed now but I still do not safety my 2 boat trailers, but my truck is always stickered to pull our larger stickered trailers.  Here is the fine schedule for the Ontario traffic act and you can look it up to see if it is different : http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do-i/set-fines/set-fines-i/schedule-43/

23 minutes ago, snowman said:

It was about 5 years ago and I believe it was around $200 for no sticker on trailer..maybe changed now but I still do not safety my 2 boat trailers, but my truck is always stickered to pull our larger stickered trailers.  Here is the fine schedule for the Ontario traffic act and you can look it up to see if it is different : http://www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/how-do-i/set-fines/set-fines-i/schedule-43/

For a lot of what we have been talking about if you look in the table it says N.S.F. which is no set fine. It seems that for N.S.F it's up to a judge as to what you get hit with.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

For a lot of what we have been talking about if you look in the table it says N.S.F. which is no set fine. It seems that for N.S.F it's up to a judge as to what you get hit with.

Even set fines can be up to judges discretion. I got hit with talking on cell phone even though it was on speaker phone when I passed it to my son in the back seat. Ticket was $500, minimum was $350 or something and I ended up getting it down to $75.

12 hours ago, snowman said:

Nope.  Nothing there.  If your truck was commercial, was it under the CVOR rules?  They may be different.  Or maybe truck plus boat trailer was over 4,500 kg and thus subject to inspection. 

I still challenge anybody to show me a reference to an authoritative source that requires a trailer to be inspected just because the truck is stickered (combination <4,500 kg and  in Ontario).  You may have gotten a ticket but that doesn't prove that it was justified.  Law enforcement seems at least as confused in this area as everybody else.  Do you still have the ticket and the Highway Traffic Act section that you were charged under? 

17 hours ago, soupkids said:

Way to many if's, and, or but's in the last 7 pages for me to even wrap my head around.

I'm just going to connect whatever I need behind my truck and drive on.

You are like 99.9999% of us, no matter what you do, if the MTO wants to nail you, they will, so just make sure your rig is safe and drive on.

Ok wait a sec. According to what I'm seeing here I'm far passed the 4500..(3175+3130).Cripes in my case do I need to go get an AZ?

This is ridiculous. Where did 4500 come from anyways? 

trailertag2.jpg

truck tag2.jpg

13 minutes ago, mcZEd382 said:

Ok wait a sec. According to what I'm seeing here I'm far passed the 4500..(3175+3130).Cripes in my case do I need to go get an AZ?

This is ridiculous. Where did 4500 come from anyways? 

trailertag2.jpg

truck tag2.jpg

4500 kg. is the limit that if you are above when combining the GVWR of your truck and  the GVWR of your trailer ( in your case 3,130 + 3,175=6,305 kg.) that you require yellow stickers on both the truck and the trailer. 

You do not require a A class license unless the weight of the loaded trailer you pull is over 4,600 kg. (10,138 lb.)

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

4500 kg. is the limit that if you are above when combining the GVWR of your truck and  the GVWR of your trailer ( in your case 3,130 + 3,175=6,305 kg.) that you require yellow stickers on both the truck and the trailer. 

You do not require a A class license unless the weight of the loaded trailer you pull is over 4,600 kg. (10,138 lb.)

Sorry, forgot to hang my sarcasm sign on that one. :D

On 4/3/2018 at 9:20 PM, soupkids said:

Way to many if's, and, or but's in the last 7 pages for me to even wrap my head around.

I'm just going to connect whatever I need behind my truck and drive on.

Entirely by design to grant total authority to the bill collectors. I posted hard PROOF earlier or safety ineffectiveness yet these "policing" efforts continue to rise and we must push the gov't to restore our rights to due process and get rid of this over reach. Its killing people, and costing the economy a lot of money. There is no win on any front so it MUST end

On 4/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, revrnd said:

It would've been funny interesting to ask the previous MTO Minister (Professor Honeydew) where a person would find concise & clear explanation of our trailering laws. Probably wouldn't have a clue.

Again entirely by design to allow supreme police powers to the MTO and Police. There is a constitutional case here but the cops LOVE to use the old "driving is a privilege" bull crap to weasle out of it.

19 hours ago, zoso said:

You are like 99.9999% of us, no matter what you do, if the MTO wants to nail you, they will, so just make sure your rig is safe and drive on.

Unfortunately there is no other option at the moment. It is a very dangerous time of BIG government and police state.

I once drove thru Quebec to go out east and the government weigh station there had a whole fleet of chase cars. A few km's down the road some trucker with a straight truck was pulled over for not stopping at weigh station. Ontario doesn't seem to have same enforcement besides the blitz.'s they do around the area's. 

A few months ago they had a blitz on highway 7 and 8, when I pulled into wilmot rec centre. They sent the trucks there to undergo inspection. That day they found several rigs that were fined and pulled off the road. 

• 5 weeks later...

A friend stopped in w/ his half ton towing a car trailer tandem. Talked a bit about regs. Looking @ my 3/4 ton registration & it is 'coded' OPU. I m assuming that is Own Personal Use. My friend's truck was coded B3K, any idea what that means?(both trucks registered for 3000 kgs.)

About 2 hours ago 400 southbound off ramp to hwy 12 the OPP had a truck and trailer pulled over. A not great shape older 1/2 ton pickup pulling a "heavy equipment" flat bed trailer like this

Capture1.JPG.2e1a3d0d2eaa26ad905307fef620fc37.JPG

with a ditch witch like this on the trailer

Capture1.JPG.955824540240d17c50cb5c356c319f74.JPG

The truck looked questionable alone and definitely not equipped to pull that trailer. The rear springs were bottomed out. Looking at the way it was sitting I doubt he would have had a lot of real steering control. The front end was getting real high.

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

About 2 hours ago 400 southbound off ramp to hwy 12 the OPP had a truck and trailer pulled over. A not great shape older 1/2 ton pickup pulling a "heavy equipment" flat bed trailer like this

Capture1.JPG.2e1a3d0d2eaa26ad905307fef620fc37.JPG

with a ditch witch like this on the trailer

Capture1.JPG.955824540240d17c50cb5c356c319f74.JPG

The truck looked questionable alone and definitely not equipped to pull that trailer. The rear springs were bottomed out. Looking at the way it was sitting I doubt he would have had a lot of real steering control. The front end was getting real high.

Getting close to the May 2 4 weekend & you know there will be a lot of sketchy vehicles pulling trailers that are in worse shape.

Waiting for a friend to show up @ our woodlot & watching the hwy traffic. Dodge half ton crew cab went by & only thing in the box was an ATV. Rear wheels of quad were on the tailgate, not the box floor.

Lots of ATVs heading north but never saw any going to the woodlot. Saw 3 deer & 3 partridge.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Getting close to the May 2 4 weekend & you know there will be a lot of sketchy vehicles pulling trailers that are in worse shape.

Waiting for a friend to show up @ our woodlot & watching the hwy traffic. Dodge half ton crew cab went by & only thing in the box was an ATV. Rear wheels of quad were on the tailgate, not the box floor.

Lots of ATVs heading north but never saw any going to the woodlot. Saw 3 deer & 3 partridge.

You will never get a quad in the box of a crew cab

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

You will never get a quad in the box of a crew cab

If you had an F250  or 350 crew cab you could  get the 8 ft box. I believe you can in the GM and Dodge heavier trucks as well

10 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

If you had an F250  or 350 crew cab you could  get the 8 ft box. I believe you can in the GM and Dodge heavier trucks as well

Crew cab long box is just a little smaller than a school bus

36 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Naw. A school bus is a long highway tractor with a full body on it. My crew cab long box is only 27 feet long without the plow. Accessories make it another 5 feet longer. Still nowhere near the length of a school bus. 

47 minutes ago, soupkids said:

We had a '79 GMC version back before everyone & their uncle had 1.

We've seen people lose lumber out of the back of the trucks onto the street. More lumber hanging out past the tailgate than in the box.

Early 80's we were driving to the rodeos with a crew cab 1 ton dually with an 8 ft box towing a 40 ft fifth wheel 4 horse trailer with living quarters in the front. 

If if I could get an 8 ft box on the F150 with the crew cab I'd get one in a heart beat. I've got the 6.5 ft now but too often miss the longer box. I had the shorter box on one when you couldn't get the 6.5 and it was useless

Agreed O2. The wife's new half ton is relegated to car and light towing duty. Runabout, PWC trailer, utility trailer etc. because it is so much easier on fuel. The 6.5 ft box is a pain even to carry limb wood because you have to cut it so short to get it in the box.

Archived