Pretty bummed out

ToSlow

I didn't even get my sled out of the trailer this yr, between working 13 to 14 hr days 6 days a week it just seems it isn't worth to even be in the sport for me

2 minutes ago, gobills said:

Sorry to hear that you did not get out this year.  Hopefully next year.  How's your son doing in school?

he seems to be doing fine, hopefully he can get a placement for the summer. thanks for asking

8 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

I didn't even get my sled out of the trailer this yr, between working 13 to 14 hr days 6 days a week it just seems it isn't worth to even be in the sport for me

How come you work so much? You have to get out and smell the roses sometimes.

3 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

How come you work so much? You have to get out and smell the roses sometimes.

That's the job, I'm a field tech for a demolition company so there is always lots of repairs to do, plus it's a fast paced industry so it's go go go

no one ever sits on their death bed, wishing they worked more. you have the power to change this, you just have to call a time out and recreate. all work and no play, make you a dull boy.

if you never take a break from work, you don't know what you are working for. you have the power. Ski 

3 hours ago, ToSlow said:

My season last year wasnt much better, 6 rides for 360 miles.

3 hours ago, ToSlow said:

That's the job, I'm a field tech for a demolition company so there is always lots of repairs to do, plus it's a fast paced industry so it's go go go

I did this go go go thing for years.

Life is very very fragile 

14 hours ago, ToSlow said:

Right there with yuh. Mine's still 14' up the pallet racking. (where hopefully the mice won't fill the pipe with ???)

Hoping that the proceeds from this winter will fund that new machine for next year - and hopefully be able to get out more then.

17 hours ago, ToSlow said:

I can understand that if you have a $ 12, 000 plus sled, enclosed trailer, etc....easier to swallow the weather, lack of riding,lack of time  etc if you do not have tons of money invested in it, its easier to deal with.....many I know have got out of sledding and switched to atv's motorcycles, boats....

I too used to often work 6 days a week with a long commute. Then my 3yr old was diagnosed with leukemia, he's in remission now but it really made me examine my life! Quit that job, reworked a budget, and the plan is for me and my wife to work part time. Life really is to short!

11 hours ago, Old Sledder said:

Are you a licensed diesel mechanic?

i'm a "421A" heavy equipment tech. plus i got a few other licences

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎27 at 7:56 PM, ToSlow said:

I feel your pain. Picked up a new to me sled in the fall. It only made it off the trailer into my garage and prepped for the season. Work, the January monsoon, and then surgery did my season in. I'm a millwright so many times my schedule and hours are out of my control, based on demands from work. You're not alone.

I'm in same boat 13-14 hours a day 5-7 days a week last 14 years ;)

But still manage cottage life, hunting, fishing and did two snowmobile trips this year.

Less time you have more efficient you use it.:)  

Not sure if you're just looking to vent or actually want some advice..  As its mostly men on this site I would expect the latter.  Sounds like you're very dedicated to your profession and when I was younger, with a young family I had to work every hour I could get.  Now I enjoy the fruits of my labor and work less, have fun more.

What you're doing is all good if you have a plan to have balance in your life.. even if its a goal down the road.  My recommendation is to stay your current course, make sure you're compensated appropriately, and devise a plan for the future.  If its important to have time to do the fun things you love, then that becomes part of the plan.  Look at getting into a different role within the company you're with.  Something that may offer up some perks and/or schedule flexibility.  I had a job once that was 80+ hours a week but I could get in a round of golf during the day and work from my Blackberry. 

There are options :)

P.

2 hours ago, Puggz said:

Not sure if you're just looking to vent or actually want some advice..  As its mostly men on this site I would expect the latter.  Sounds like you're very dedicated to your profession and when I was younger, with a young family I had to work every hour I could get.  Now I enjoy the fruits of my labor and work less, have fun more.

What you're doing is all good if you have a plan to have balance in your life.. even if its a goal down the road.  My recommendation is to stay your current course, make sure you're compensated appropriately, and devise a plan for the future.  If its important to have time to do the fun things you love, then that becomes part of the plan.  Look at getting into a different role within the company you're with.  Something that may offer up some perks and/or schedule flexibility.  I had a job once that was 80+ hours a week but I could get in a round of golf during the day and work from my Blackberry. 

There are options :)

P.

You're right, it is a balance.  I have worked hard long hours building myself up and today I find I want to enjoy more time up north.  But I really enjoy what I do and never saw it as a drain although travel takes a toll on family life.  It's also good to have the support on the home front.

Sometimes you just have to schedule a week off and say screw it.

I woke up a bit at 40 years old. A friend was on vacation at the lake. Not the guy you would figure was out of shape. He went out behind our boat on a knee board and came back to sit on shore thinking he had pulled his shoulder. Asked his wife to go get him some aspirin. By the time she looked back toward the water he had fallen out of the chair with a heart attack. He was the same age as me and our birthdays were weeks apart.

Since then the work / life balance started to lean more toward the life side.

Our friend was dead and revived at the scene of a fire a few months ago. His heart stopped completely. If it had of happened anywhere else he likely wouldn't have survived. He is looking at life a lot differently now.

I'm not sure if someone referenced here or not yet.... you work to live, you don't live to work.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:56 PM, ToSlow said:

Your sled is not depreciating at this point, so if you have to step back, why not keep it. If your situation changes and you find you have the time it is easy to get back in with a sled in the garage. If you sell it, the money will not go far, and getting back in will seem like a pain and you may not bother. As long as you have the room to store the sled it will be there ready when you are.

Archived