Hwy 11 Viewpoint

revrnd

Those gizmo's on the back of the trailers tend to cause havoc when parking in the truck stop.

(CRUNCH!)

The underslung fairings keep the low profile sports cars from driving under the trailer at intersections and keep the self driving cars from not "seeing" an opening in traffic and attempting to drive under the trailer. We have already at least one fatality for this reason.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

The underslung fairings keep the low profile sports cars from driving under the trailer at intersections and keep the self driving cars from not "seeing" an opening in traffic and attempting to drive under the trailer. We have already at least one fatality for this reason.

I think these fairings came around long before autonomous cars were thought of.

11 hours ago, Ox said:

Those gizmo's on the back of the trailers tend to cause havoc when parking in the truck stop.

(CRUNCH!)

Are you talking about these:

aerodynamics_eng_fig19.jpg

Aren't they supposed to fold flat under certain speeds?

These are the 'vortex generators' that irREVerent & I saw:

Heavy-Duty-Truck-Aerodynamics-AirTabs.jp

I think my trucker buddy said they go for about 65 bucks each & are self-adhesive.

That one appears to be screwed on. Anything to save a couple of percent on fuel is a huge savings for a fleet. 

There's also a big plastic shroud I've seen forwards of the trailer axles diverting air away from the axles.  Maybe for the same reason.  They do seem to keep snow buildup off the running gear though, for an added weight savings during winter....

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

I think my trucker buddy said they go for about 65 bucks each & are self-adhesive.

They might work on my sled trailer!

:blink:

I would Shirley hope that they git back-up cams back there long before automation on wind dams.

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

Are you talking about these:

aerodynamics_eng_fig19.jpg

Those tabs appear to be a molded length of tabs. That's the first I've seen like that. The ones that I have seen are individual self adhesive tabs.

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

I have only ever seen manual rear trailer fairings that are either folded in or out.

Polar?

11 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

I guess this will cut down on my wannabe nascar drafting 

I'm pretty that's what the guy in the Smart car was up to on Fri'. Tailgated me, but wouldn't pass even when I moved slightly to the right when there was no oncoming traffic.

11 hours ago, revrnd said:

I'm pretty that's what the guy in the Smart car was up to on Fri'. Tailgated me, but wouldn't pass even when I moved slightly to the right when there was no oncoming traffic.

lol.  probably trying to save on more fuel.  Brake checking is always fun

11 hours ago, revrnd said:

Probably needed to draft you just to keep up to the speed you were going.

I agree with 04 about the brake checking however it might be deadly with one of those buggies.

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Probably needed to draft you just to keep up to the speed you were going.

I agree with 04 about the brake checking however it might be deadly with one of those buggies.

As much as brake checking comes to mind, police figure it was the cause of a fatal MVA earlier this year on the QEW.

On 5/12/2018 at 1:02 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I have only ever seen manual rear trailer fairings that are either folded in or out.

I didn't realise they didn't retract automatically when the truck slows down.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:06 AM, 04nightfire said:

Use the e brake, no lights, then watch he fun behind you.

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

hmmm.......

5 hours ago, soupkids said:

Had a buddy with an old Ford ... had a toggle switch on the dash for the back-up lights.... you know the rest....  :D

Could you see the mess on the 400 north this Friday if you pulled something like that.

I would sit up an a bank and watch.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:37 PM, catinental couch said:

BTDT I had a 66 F150 with a toggle switch for the back up lights. Ya. I know the rest. lol

Had a '73 or '74 that I could not git the steering wheel off to fix, and ended up going with some system like that for a while. 

I just (now) remember that I had several toggle switches up there for turn and ???

It had already seen it's heydays before I got it. 

It used to be that if you had a factory installed trailer brake system on your truck and you activated the electric brake switch manually without a trailer on the back it would activate the truck brake lights. You wouldn't slow down and solid on brake lights were much more obvious than the tap of the brake pedal.

I haven't checked on the new truck. It may be more intelligent than it used to be and not activate the brake lights unless a trailer is connected. I know it's smart enough now to know when a trailer is connected, check the lights and deactivate the backup alert system.

Archived