Hwy 11 Viewpoint

revrnd

Trails look good from North Bay to Cochrane. Even the New Liskeard & Earlton areas. 

Only sketchy spot on TOP A might be where it runs the Wilson Lake Rd (north of Marten River). Lots of bare dirt showing at the hwy crossing.

On that point, if you're travelling the Marten River area follow the signage & not the sled tracks. Guys are running the old routing of TOP A on the east side of the highway across from the motel & there is open water that they're skipping.

Met about 20 pickups towing trailers between Cochrane & North Bay the last 4 hours.

Ran NB to Temagami 3 days ago.

Good point about the open water at Rock Pine.

The road running on Wilson Lake Road was not a major issue.

10 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Great riding in Kirkland Lake.

Fresh groomed Earlton to Matheson all to ourselves today.

7386F831-BA94-43A3-A0A5-30B36E8FEED3.jpeg

Did you go into the Bridge Inn and put your $2.00 bet on when Herbie is going for a swim?

Lol we drove by on Saturday and we're laughing at the bug on the ice.  Did not know there was a pool going on.

Just assumed it was someone's beater for ice fishing.

10 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Did you go into the Bridge Inn and put your $2.00 bet on when Herbie is going for a swim?

South Seguin club used to do this with a stripped down snowmobile as a fund raiser - not sure why it was stopped - trouble getting the sled out of the water maybe, or environmental concerns. I guess you would have to set it up in front of a web cam to see exactly when it sank otherwise someone would have to be watching it 24/7.

The Sands on Golden Lake had a similar contest w/ a car or sled when I stayed there in '09.

For those who have wondered what is up w/ all the pylons along 11 north of Marten River/Hwy 64 turnoff:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/highway-11-closure-temagami-1.3865492

https://www.northbaynipissing.com/news-story/7988504-passenger-in-tractor-trailer-dead-in-highway-11-crash-south-of-temagami/

I had 1st noticed the pylons during the drive to KL in Feb'. I had been meaning to ask my trucker friend about them since, but only remembered yesterday during our chat. His run takes him north before dawn, so he was thru there before both accidents. He said the weather was bad both trips (dealing w/ freezing rain). He told me that he felt that something bad would happen somewhere along his run, just the way the road conditions were.

We've been friends since we were kids in school & I always worry about him when I hear about 'crap happening' on 11 (& the 400 when he used to run south thru to T.O.).

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

The Sands on Golden Lake had a similar contest w/ a car or sled when I stayed there in '09.

They still do. There was a sled on the ice for that this year when we went thru there

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Ha, no. Did not realize there was a "pool" going on.

1 minute ago, lastzrt said:

Ha, no. Did not realize there was a "pool" going on.

They should really have a sign on it although it would only be seen by sledders and ice fishermen. I wouldn't have known there was a contest other than seeing a large jar on the bar at the Kenogami Bridge Inn restaurant/bar. BTW it is an excellent place to eat. Thanks to IQ Turbo for the recommendation.

I forgot to mention that the road running on TOP A 'south' of Val Gagne didn't look great. sleds are running (illegally?) just over the snow bank on the fields.

South of Cochrane where TOP A crosses, I could see 2 headlights heading north. The only other sleds I saw on the trip were stopped @ Rolly's. TOP A looked really good across the road in the ditch. 

From Faceplant earlier today:

29542711_10216803370582416_4005287809281

Near Latchford

Was that the sign for a towing company that he hit. LOL

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Was that the sign for a towing company that he hit. LOL

Jelly's Towing? My friend mentioned them when he was telling me about getting sideswiped by a pickup near the 'south wye'.

The sign on the trailer skirt says "Going green for a better tomorrow". Guess he/she was trying to live up to the slogan. LOL

Actually it looks like there isn't too much damage to the truck or the trailer. The rock seems to have a gentle slope on it. Very lucky.

I've had a few truckers tell me that most of the accidents trucks are in are caused by people in cars cutting them off and other similar things.

8 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I've had a few truckers tell me that most of the accidents trucks are in are caused by people in cars cutting them off and other similar things.

Yeah, I've heard that too, but I've also seen more than my fair share of a$$hat big rig drivers too.

All roads lead through Nipigon, if you're headed East or West, and I've definitely seen some creative driving.

• 1 month later...

From the Brampton Big Rigs Faceplant page:

Road conditions?

676891837_2018May9NewLiskeard.jpg.194623390c0424654586718d88f8cd32.jpg

27 minutes ago, revrnd said:

From the Brampton Big Rigs Faceplant page:

Road conditions?

676891837_2018May9NewLiskeard.jpg.194623390c0424654586718d88f8cd32.jpg

Welcome to Diamond!

8 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Welcome to Diamond!

Dymond -_-

Are those large flaps installed along under the trailer for wind efficiency? Wondering how efficient they are. (could also keep cyclists out from under the trailer as well I guess)

Has anyone come up with something that would keep a pickup truck tailgate free from snow build up in the winter?

The trailer fairings (skirts) do work by reducing the wind turbulence that is created under the trailer and helping it to flow down the sides of the trailer. They talk about % of fuel saved and like most things, claims vs. reality seem quite different. Long haul fleets would probably see a 5-7% fuel savings depending on how close to the ground the skirts are fitted. The lower they are the more the savings but lower is not always better like when leaving the Husky in Dymond. LOL

The trailer tail fairings that you see on the rear of the trailers also help by directing airflow and stopping turbulence. All these add-on's are constantly changing to be durable and to work in snow conditions.

I haven't read or seen anything that's designed to keep the snow off the back of pickup tailgates. Maybe a heated gate???

2 hours ago, slomo said:

Dymond -_-

Are those large flaps installed along under the trailer for wind efficiency? Wondering how efficient they are. (could also keep cyclists out from under the trailer as well I guess)

Has anyone come up with something that would keep a pickup truck tailgate free from snow build up in the winter?

Actually they're fairly stiff panels. I think they are for fuel mileage improvement. Not sure if they would prevent a cyclist from getting run over by the rear tires.

When irREVerent and I were on our way to Timmins we passed an older two place enclosed trailer near North Bay. Along the rear edge of the sides and top, there were the little triangular 'wedges' like you would see on the rear edge of the sleeper extension. 

Talking to my trucker friend in North Bay on the way home he said the wedges direct the air. I imagine if a person had a lid or tri-fold on their pickup, these wedges could be stuck on.

Archived