Gas - Timmins to Shining Tree

crainer99

I'm trying to plan a 4 day trip next week, starting at Sportmans Lodge.  Gonna go up C trail to Timmins, then a few days later go back down on L143.  Is there gas on that trail at all?  Will we have to back track up to Shining Tree, and is Shining Tree open 7 days a week?  Any info would help.  

The Mattagami FN just east of Gogama on TOP C has gas.

27 minutes ago, crainer99 said:

I'm trying to plan a 4 day trip next week, starting at Sportmans Lodge.  Gonna go up C trail to Timmins, then a few days later go back down on L143.  Is there gas on that trail at all?  Will we have to back track up to Shining Tree, and is Shining Tree open 7 days a week?  Any info would help.  

No gas on the L143. You have to go to the Shining Tree Camp, Gogama or to Auld Reekie Lodge in Gowganda. Your 1200 should make Gowganda with no problem and that provides a good place to eat as well. There is only microwaveable food available at Shining Tree camp per previous posts.

Four of us did the L143 ride last week between Timmins and  Gowganda. My 07 Vector used 25 litres of fuel when we filled up at Auld Reekie. Be prepared for a very twisty ride. Good hilly terrain in some areas. Tough to make up time. Some great straightaways south of Timmins but gets tight and twisty in several areas as you work your way south. Nice ride if you aren’t in a hurry. A little bit of a work out as well. Left Timmins Esso around 9 am and got into Gowganda around 12:45. L143 had lots of snow on it and was groomed well.

1 hour ago, Bearnecessities said:

Four of us did the L143 ride last week between Timmins and  Gowganda. My 07 Vector used 25 litres of fuel when we filled up at Auld Reekie. Be prepared for a very twisty ride. Good hilly terrain in some areas. Tough to make up time. Some great straightaways south of Timmins but gets tight and twisty in several areas as you work your way south. Nice ride if you aren’t in a hurry. A little bit of a work out as well. Left Timmins Esso around 9 am and got into Gowganda around 12:45. L143 had lots of snow on it and was groomed well.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard anyone say what the time element is. We've never ridden it, just TOP C thru the area as it seemed L143 was always closed when we were planning our trips.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Might be a long day for the wife, either starting from New Liskeard or Sportsman Lodge, haven't decided yet.

Revrnd,can you provide more info on gas at FN?There used to be gas at the Minakwa lodge right off Mattagami lake,is there still gas there?According to some maps,there is gas in Gogama but I thought that was gone?

11 hours ago, marcs said:

Revrnd,can you provide more info on gas at FN?There used to be gas at the Minakwa lodge right off Mattagami lake,is there still gas there?According to some maps,there is gas in Gogama but I thought that was gone?

TOP C takes you right past the store/rest'/gas station in the FN. I don't have much knowledge about services in town. Never down any 'exploring' in it when I've been travelling.

• 3 weeks later...

Minakwa lodge off Mattagami lake has premium gas.

FN has regular unleaded only.

Ran into a rider 2 weeks that came from that direction and said old three bears lodge has fuel again and old cabins, but no food? Can anyone confirm or did they mean this place? 

8 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Ran into a rider 2 weeks that came from that direction and said old three bears lodge has fuel again and old cabins, but no food? Can anyone confirm or did they mean this place? 

Did they tell you the name of the one they were talking about?

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Did they tell you the name of the one they were talking about?

They didn't know the name it was in shinning tree on C trail is all they could tell me. They bought fuel there on way thru from Sudbury. Maybe soup knows. 

Give me a few minutes & I'll post an email concerning Shining Tree.

8 hours ago, Fergie said:

Minakwa lodge off Mattagami lake has premium gas.

FN has regular unleaded only.

Is that info as of this year? As of last year Minakwa was not selling fuel due to having to keep as employee there just to man the fuel pump.

15 hours ago, Polaris1 said:

Is that info as of this year? As of last year Minakwa was not selling fuel due to having to keep as employee there just to man the fuel pump.

Only fuel I was aware of was dark side selling fuel at highway in shining tree. 

Polaris1, this is current as of early March.  We filled up three times at Minakwa.  We had to go knock on the door and find someone every time, but they were happy to fill up our sleds.

12 hours ago, Fergie said:

Polaris1, this is current as of early March.  We filled up three times at Minakwa.  We had to go knock on the door and find someone every time, but they were happy to fill up our sleds.

Good to know,thanks.

Archived