parts northern corridor - march 11 - 2018

slomo

While my original plan for a trip to New Brunswick did not work out due to high night time temperatures which rendered my desired riding area there somewhat questionable, Northern Corridor looked good both temperature and trail condition wise so decided to come up for a few days....

BTW stayed over in North Bay at the Nipissing Inn, formerly the Arizona Motel - motel has been completely renovated, is right on a trail and less expensive compared to other lakeshore access establishments, so book mark it for next year if interested.....

Got a late start at 8 am trails were hard and a bit dicey in corners.....anticipated some accidents due to ruts in the corners after a long straight period of more rapid speed...apparently there was a typical incident to the easterly part of the system on this day...

pic01.thumb.JPG.0f1d58374121e98e9d7790b9dcb4bf6e.JPG

Surprised to see that the clubhouse next to this bridge was no longer there....a really nice place, it was up for sale a few years ago for a bargain price of $75,000 or so....road access and 400 feet on the river...my brother and I were trying to figure out the business case for an outdoor rec facility as a 12 hour drive for a personal weekend visit not feasible...not worth giving up full time jobs at the time....too bad it is gone...

pic02.thumb.JPG.75f030a9bc15f053b5d61dc0d47f18b8.JPG

Most trails in good shape...some recently groomed...others grooming on going....a few rough spots but superior to conditions met earlier in the season ....

pic03.thumb.JPG.de9d18d32d6eccbcfb539d76a0ad5e39.JPG

Meantime, unbeknownst to me, ms. slomo was making her way from the hotel to the local cross country ski trail place - and it looks like my birthday cheese sampler gift paid off 

(posted earlier)

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18744-valentines-or-birthday-gift-even-canuck-would-be-happy-to-give/

as she came across this place....check it out some nice varieties and locally made....you can have a whole  cheese wheel shipped to you by Canada Post....

http://fromageriekapuskoise.ca/

and picked us up some nice squeeky curds and a few other choices.....

5aa51fa504577_cheese01.jpg.db5e3cb4f6ee435b4e39304bd64f99e5.jpg

If in the area, easily accessible by trail to the back road.....when it comes to cheese, the northern corridor does not disappoint.....

5aa51faa6b363_cheese02.jpg.54497998927715de7ae3ec964c4736d1.jpg

.......back out on the trails, got a good day's ride in out past Hearst for a ways and back, up into a few L trails....at times laying in wait for unsuspecting sledders to capture in pictures....

pic04.thumb.JPG.640e08f86691ed7604e044ff0182f6ba.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.4544b92e1d35626f71cea68a0b8fec70.JPGpic06.thumb.JPG.fc4447d19c4793e098c3d6b4f583df26.JPG

pic07.thumb.JPG.1e2260427254bfae64e3ba3b0146ff9c.JPG

pic08.thumb.JPG.0a0844e591ac9a46d48ea52cec50e857.JPG

Put on a considerable amount of kilometers on the day, so much so that actually had to re-fuel the 600ace while out riding for another go round of a 400 kilometer fuel tank full....taking a more leisurely approach this day as muscles sore.....more later.

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing !!  I wasn't on the trail system yesterday, we were at the BIL's property beating on our old iron.  Chest deep snow, enough to get the Alpine stuck.

Beautiful cold morning for riding today !!

Slomo,

The clubhouse you referred to belonged to Les Grondeurs, the Val-Rity Harty club. Originally built by local Boy Scouts, the club had it up for sale as they could no longer afford to operate it. The building was identified as being on a flood plain (the Lost River) and was uninsurable, which in turn made it unsellable. The Val-Rita volunteer fire department burned it down in a training exercise a few years ago. 

It was my favourite clubhouse but saw very little traffic compared to Moonbeam's and had almost zero community support. Many of us were sad to see it go. 

4 hours ago, slomo said:

BTW stayed over in North Bay at the Nipissing Inn, formerly the Arizona Motel - motel has been completely renovated, is right on a trail and less expensive compared to other lakeshore access establishments, so book mark it for next year if interested.....

Surprised to see that the clubhouse next to this bridge was no longer there....a really nice place, it was up for sale a few years ago for a bargain price of $75,000 or so....road access and 400 feet on the river...my brother and I were trying to figure out the business case for an outdoor rec facility as a 12 hour drive for a personal weekend visit not feasible...not worth giving up full time jobs at the time....too bad it is gone...

3 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Slomo,

The clubhouse you referred to belonged to Les Grondeurs, the Val-Rity Harty club. Originally built by local Boy Scouts, the club had it up for sale as they could no longer afford to operate it. The building was identified as being on a flood plain (the Lost River) and was uninsurable, which in turn made it unsellable. The Val-Rita volunteer fire department burned it down in a training exercise a few years ago. 

It was my favourite clubhouse but saw very little traffic compared to Moonbeam's and had almost zero community support. Many of us were sad to see it go. 

Slomo, thanks for the motel update. I'm pretty sure the clubhouse was gone in 2016 when I was last up on the Corridor.

disclaimer - I receive no discounts, compensation,  or other consideration from any enterprises mentioned or pictured in these posts including the cheese place above....

Day 2 - a Sunday drive.....

Temps looked a bit frosty at minus twenty one or so....too cold for some to get out, but after 5 years in the NWT where we got down on our knees and begged for it to warm up to minus twenty starting in late November to mid-March....not a problem to get going at all....warmed up nicely through the day...

pic01.thumb.JPG.4bb892f85b1b641d931cac364505249e.JPG

Discovering that the snowmobile trails pass directly adjacent to the cross country skiing place, started the day towing ms. slomo over behind the sled....saved $20 cab fare....she only fell twice in 10 kilometers.....and got to keep my premium parking spot at the hotel....yes, she was wearing her helmet....

.....and then headed in an easterly direction.....no particular destination in mind, although thinking wise Smooth Rock Falls a good turn around point due to reportedly lots of traffic in the area further east and south of there...which turned out to be a good plan...

pic02.thumb.JPG.57ff09b93a80ada2ed9a30fffc2354a0.JPG

Earlier in the week, most of us saw this picture in the news...little girl inspired by the portrait of Michelle Obama....what inspired me was the simple idea of the subject of the photo being taken with one foot placed forward....adds a whole new dimension to the composition as it looks like the subject is about to step out of frame toward you....

5aa6582422379_footforward.thumb.jpg.25c697fd800f646c5722608ebb34e720.jpg

Personally, I'm tired of the same old portraiture we see in the sled magazines or for promos for various reality TV shows, where characters are displayed gruff faces, arms crossed, and usually some stupid looking facial hair... especially the guy from the Alaska show with the two mustache ends hanging down like balls on a moose....

(agree with revrnd - why does their chimney keep catching on fire? instead of building a platform on which to put out chimney fires)

...........realized the same is basically happening in sled forum trail reports, so decided to spend a bit more time on composition....there being not much else to change on a box camera with few adjustments or filters....still not entirely happy with the results, but made things interesting....

pic03.thumb.JPG.4e51065011e77fa4f9b3897bd8f6c510.JPG

pic04.thumb.JPG.2fb01de2377c2487bcea8ee9c8c99419.JPG

Thought this was an interesting idea for a small town business.....

pic06.JPG.19bb0e3940a836bca14dd98b745662bf.JPG

WARNING...WARNING...alien presence detected in sector M....

pic07.JPG.0967d4139a7f081d7a70076c6d774ca5.JPG

Busy day at the Moonstone club house.....was going to pick up some sugar pie for ms. slomo....but too nice a day to be lined up inside...

pic08.thumb.JPG.11e04d3ac29fbc08c3940e496000f6f7.JPG

Pretty well feet up on the foot pegs riding all day....traffic well spaced out...trails good to excellent...although a water breakthrough on Remi Lake was a bit of a tightener ...but other wise day's riding almost enough to dispel disbelief of the abject stupidity of a Doug Ford leadership win and the stench of four more years of Kathlyn Wynne...

pic05.thumb.JPG.fc14d74a830624b36e2fa4897901730e.JPG

pic09.thumb.JPG.4bd2ce213da55418c88a8a0ab13ab1c1.JPG

Not sure what today will bring....

Where are you staying?  Apollo?

We are coming up on Thursday to Advantage.

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Where are you staying?  Apollo?

At a nearby monastery with a good view of the trails hosted by  a community of monks striving to live a simple, genuine and full monastic life according to the Scriptures. Members here are only allowed to say two words every five years. Very quiet. Except of course for snow machines. Or kids hockey tournaments on weekends. Pool and hot tub. And water slide....Usually I am at the Apollo but ms. slomo is on a vacation too!

We are here until Wednesday when we head to another destination. Sorry we will miss you SJ - has been a while since we had a chat. However, you might have the company of the owner of these sleds though....family truckster models as they are...arrived here today....

5aa6e3ae88ca9_IMG_3198(Medium).JPG.60f7c40b947843d8472dad083004d025.JPG

BTW heard a groomer broke down to the west of Kap....not sure exactly where but maybe Denis007 can provide some info. I followed freshly groomed trails to the east today..... conditions are very good all over, except possibly the area in which the broken groomer works.

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Also...rumour has it that VR700 might be coming to town....one of his children has been spotted in the area....

;)

Day 3

Wasn't sure which way to head today even leaving the hotel parking lot (thank goodness for rouskis) but decided to head east as it looked like fresh grooming in that direction....Smooth Rock Falls way with a few detours into the L trails along the way and partially up the A103 to Fraserdale until I got tired and turned around. Not a good day for pictures but here are some....

5aa6e7850b4b2_IMG_3190(Medium).thumb.JPG.10a3e10ce431a02915d7898a8898cadd.JPG

Whiz break on the A103

5aa6e79898bf4_IMG_3191(Medium).thumb.JPG.9706e5357b7fc657e1ae780614211c90.JPG

Snack break on the A trail

5aa6e7a224ff4_IMG_3194(Medium).thumb.JPG.2a7b21ff438456488000af4310f3c0c5.JPG

As you can see, conditions are good, less traffic than yesterday...had fun. Now some home made beans, schnitzel and home made potato donuts to round off the day. Out again tomorrow - sled every day like it is the last day of the season- because one day you won't be wrong.

10 hours ago, slomo said:

disclaimer - I receive no discounts, compensation,  or other consideration from any enterprises mentioned or pictured in these posts including the cheese place above....

Personally, I'm tired of the same old portraiture we see in the sled magazines or for promos for various reality TV shows, where characters are displayed gruff faces, arms crossed, and usually some stupid looking facial hair... especially the guy from the Alaska show with the two mustache ends hanging down like balls on a moose....

(agree with revrnd - why does their chimney keep catching on fire? instead of building a platform on which to put out chimney fires)

Love the disclaimer :D

That's why I can't bear to watch reality TV. I'm always asking, "Where's the MOL?" on those gold mining shows?

Nice pics & it looks like you & Mrs Slomo are having a good trip. Sorry our paths wont cross. Maybe next winter.

I haven't heard of a groomer breakdown... I do know that it's presence is in great need anywhere between here and Kap. Other than the L143 near the Kap airport which was mint. Every other trail we touched was below 7 out of 10, some by a lot.  Made for lots of pee breaks, the bouncing did.  My wife was so shook up from the rough trails that she had put her balaclava on backwards at one point .... made for a good laugh... :D

3 hours ago, slomo said:

At a nearby monastery with a good view of the trails hosted by  a community of monks striving to live a simple, genuine and full monastic life according to the Scriptures. Members here are only allowed to say two words every five years. Very quiet. Except of course for snow machines. Or kids hockey tournaments on weekends. Pool and hot tub. And water slide....Usually I am at the Apollo but ms. slomo is on a vacation too!

We are here until Wednesday when we head to another destination. Sorry we will miss you SJ - has been a while since we had a chat. However, you might have the company of the owner of these sleds though....family truckster models as they are...arrived here today....

5aa6e3ae88ca9_IMG_3198(Medium).JPG.60f7c40b947843d8472dad083004d025.JPG

BTW heard a groomer broke down to the west of Kap....not sure exactly where but maybe Denis007 can provide some info. I followed freshly groomed trails to the east today..... conditions are very good all over, except possibly the area in which the broken groomer works.

Holy smokes SLOMO thats clever LMAO!!!

Were Planning on getting this for the tow vehicle next year!!

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.50.25 PM.png

8 minutes ago, gobills said:

Holy smokes SLOMO thats clever LMAO!!!

Were Planning on getting this for the tow vehicle next year!!

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 7.50.25 PM.png

For anyone interested in building a similar tow vehicle:

http://griswoldfamilyvacations.com/maiking-the-griswold-family-truckster/

Day 4

Headed west for a bit this morning - trails for the most part freshly groomed, light snowfall, temps rather brisk....lots of lube for sure...

pic01.thumb.JPG.d4b55c39e858360e355b96628811b984.JPG

Recognizing that a lot of the sharp corners are loose due to heavy sled traffic, local club takes steps to ensure that sledders pay attention to the  arrow >>>>  signs.....saves cleaning up a mess with parts all over the place later as well.....

pic02.thumb.JPG.5a4523852b96e7a202b39729681d88cb.JPG

Some sunshine finally.....low contrast light was making it hard to see trail edges in open areas and fields...

pic03.thumb.JPG.6e6bbe18115184c5fb66f98af6d3635c.JPG

Let's see if these folks recognize themselves....here they come!

pic04.thumb.JPG.6684541c23aa18f7676da188b9a31932.JPG

pic05.thumb.JPG.908bb426da4773078be28f1eb82e6d2b.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.fcfa5bf6c8d6a4f1e565bdd46e46b8f8.JPG

And a sunshiney pic to end our trip to the northern corridor....on to another destination today...

pic07.thumb.JPG.8c10a7a2101e140ef791396a2f33cff3.JPG

Thanks to the local clubs and businesses which provide such a great opportunity for an all round winter vacation. And a shout out to the local cross country skiing club the people of which made ms. slomo feel right at home. She was over there every day and thoroughly enjoyed the facilities....once she skied through downtown, up Brunelle Ave and finally found the cross country trails about 3 kilometers north after being offered a ride by another skier headed that way.

Great report and pics, Slomo.  Too bad we are going to miss you.  Next time, maybe.

Archived