QC Matagami to Amos - Gas?

Gadgetman

Looking at doing a 2 and half day trip from Val-D Or to Matagami to Rouyn-Noranda and back to Val-D OR.

Is the gas station in Amos (from Matagami) (194KM (120 miles)) the first place to get fuel, coming down the 396, 307 onto the 93?

Matagami to Amos 194KM.jpg

Below is some info. I gave ZRT Cat when he was asking the same question a few weeks ago:

I don't remember there being any fuel (or anything else other than a warm up shack about 40 miles out) between Matagami and Saint Dominique-du-Rosaire (105 miles). There used to be fuel & food in Saint Dominique-du-Rosaire and gas 7 miles further south at Saint-Felix-de-Dalquier.  Sorry but I'm not sure if those are still there. I do know that there was gas and food there 3 years ago.There is gas in Amos at the east end just east of where trail 93 crosses Highway 111 for the second time. There is a trail back into the gas station off the main trail about 1 mile past the highway crossing.

***I'm pretty sure there is gas at the north end of Amos as you will be coming into town.

We just came down that trail Tuesday, I don't remember seeing anything until Amos, we made it to Amos with apex and a 1200, think it was close to 200 k, the map showed something a bit north of Amos, I just wasn't looking for it as we had her gas caddy and I carry a 5L can

It still shows gas in Saint Dominique and Saint Felix on the 2018 map, i rember now seeing signs for St Felix

Thanks everyone. I'll plan for Amos, the fuel lite will be on, but as long as I'm not pushing snow, 7KM/Litre, (33 litres) will get us there.

Fresh snow, I guess we are buying gas cans in Matagami and strapping them to our backs.

13 hours ago, GTC said:

We just came down that trail Tuesday, I don't remember seeing anything until Amos, we made it to Amos with apex and a 1200, think it was close to 200 k, the map showed something a bit north of Amos, I just wasn't looking for it as we had her gas caddy and I carry a 5L can

What is the trail down from Matagami like, quick and open, side of the road, or hydro line type of thing? 

thanks

5 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

What is the trail down from Matagami like, quick and open, side of the road, or hydro line type of thing? 

thanks

Mixed if I remember correctly.

7 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Thanks everyone. I'll plan for Amos, the fuel lite will be on, but as long as I'm not pushing snow, 7KM/Litre, (33 litres) will get us there.

Fresh snow, I guess we are buying gas cans in Matagami and strapping them to our backs.

As IQ mentioned above there is gas in Saint-Felix-de-Dalquier at the general store on the main corner. The trail doesn't come right into town, it runs along the west side. When you get to the stop sign at Rang 7 et 8 look to your left. it is only about 2 blocks down the road to the main intersection where the gas is.  The gas shows on the Quebec Interactive map as Depanneur Beau-Soir when you zoom in with "Essence" checked off in the services section. Would save the wondering about running out.

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Mixed if I remember correctly.

As IQ mentioned above there is gas in Saint-Felix-de-Dalquier at the general store on the main corner. The trail doesn't come right into town, it runs along the west side. When you get to the stop sign at Rang 7 et 8 look to your left. it is only about 2 blocks down the road to the main intersection where the gas is.  The gas shows on the Quebec Interactive map as Depanneur Beau-Soir when you zoom in with "Essence" checked off in the services section. Would save the wondering about running out.

Thank you. I'll punch that info into the GPS.

cheers

Rode that trail 2 weeks ago it,s a beauty  has a bit of hydro corridor logging road  wide bush trail  . Only worry for gas is if you have to double back for some reason ,we rode tight so we could keep the group together. Suggestion  what I have done in the past is grab a empty wind shield washer contain from the gas station  fill it  after 30 k  poured into tank . I noticed a few of those in the garbage at the warm up shack 65 km south of Matagami .  I doubt you will run out. take it easy till you get out to the warm up shack  . Hope this helps .

1 hour ago, coldfinger said:

Rode that trail 2 weeks ago it,s a beauty  has a bit of hydro corridor logging road  wide bush trail  . Only worry for gas is if you have to double back for some reason ,we rode tight so we could keep the group together. Suggestion  what I have done in the past is grab a empty wind shield washer contain from the gas station  fill it  after 30 k  poured into tank . I noticed a few of those in the garbage at the warm up shack 65 km south of Matagami .  I doubt you will run out. take it easy till you get out to the warm up shack  . Hope this helps .

Awesome idea, modified a bit, to consider motor oil jugs. Im to retentive to allow me to allow even a few drops of washer fluid into my gas tank ( ya, i know.... I guess its from my aircraft technician days). I guess filling at the gas stations has to be a bit covert. I agree, as long as no pushing snow, or double back, then no issue about running out.

Avg safe distance means still having a 4 litre reserve - which gives me a range of about another 28 KM.

Last March I had 11 litres remaining at a 174KM fill, from my fuel usage tracking spreadsheet.

Again, thanks for the input and trail review.

Vector Fuel Range.jpg

11 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

I guess filling at the gas stations has to be a bit covert.

I have done this in the past with a 4 or 5 liter jug I would bring and have upright in a saddle bag.  When it needed filling for the ride from La Sarre to Cochrane, I would pull up at the far side of the farthest pump and just unzip the saddle bag and screw the top off and fill.  If there was a an attendant, get your buddy to keep him busy.  Once on the trail, at a pee stop, dump it in to get the weight out of the bag and limit any leaks.

8 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

I have done this in the past with a 4 or 5 liter jug I would bring and have upright in a saddle bag.  When it needed filling for the ride from La Sarre to Cochrane, I would pull up at the far side of the farthest pump and just unzip the saddle bag and screw the top off and fill.  If there was a an attendant, get your buddy to keep him busy.  Once on the trail, at a pee stop, dump it in to get the weight out of the bag and limit any leaks.

Thanks. Feb trip, looks like we came across your same friend...I think it was between Timmins and Chapleau..

IMG_9881.jpg

They are all over and are pretty neat to see.  Some are not so scared, they just stay at the tree line.  The one in my picture was taken by XTC500 west of Shining Tree.  He also had a video of two of them walking into the bush.

12 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Thanks. Feb trip, looks like we came across your same friend...I think it was between Timmins and Chapleau..

IMG_9881.jpg

Better photo than mine by a mile. :right_on:

13 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Awesome idea, modified a bit, to consider motor oil jugs. Im to retentive to allow me to allow even a few drops of washer fluid into my gas tank ( ya, i know.... I guess its from my aircraft technician days). I guess filling at the gas stations has to be a bit covert. I agree, as long as no pushing snow, or double back, then no issue about running out.

Avg safe distance means still having a 4 litre reserve - which gives me a range of about another 28 KM.

Last March I had 11 litres remaining at a 174KM fill, from my fuel usage tracking spreadsheet.

Again, thanks for the input and trail review.

12 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Used a washer fluid jug on a RAP tour when my buddy ran out of gas 5 miles north of Deep River. I filled up my sled & they got uppity when I asked about using a jug to rescue my buddy (we didn't attempt to try to tow his Vmax 600 w/ my 440). I told them I'd be back in half an hour & they relented.

I  love when I get a chance to snap a picture of a lynx, most of the time they disappear quickly, last good photo was years ago somewhere in Ontario cannot remember now

15745.jpeg

Archived