Yamaha may be done-not good for industry

hancop

40 minutes ago, apeXMAN said:

That is a 2008 40th not a 50th anniversary model..less HP  

Yes you are correct.  I was 10 years to old.  I have that poster hanging up in my garage.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

Yes you are correct.  I was 10 years to old.  I have that poster hanging up in my garage.

They also did the anniversary colors in 2013. I have that poster hanging up in my garage..lol

5 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm pretty sure the country wide dealer cuts that Skidoo made was in 1995 Brian. I remember because we had a breakdown to a Polaris on our first trip to Gaspe in 1996 and got it repaired in a small shop in New Brunswick that had been a Doo dealer until the previous spring. The locals were still upset at Doo when we were there. There may have been another round of cuts 10 years ago but it was very widespread in 1995.

If you are like me, 20 years seems like only10.

You are right, time does fly.

Sampsons in Bonfield was one of Ontario’s first SkiDoo dealerships and they were cut loose by BRP but I am pleased to report that they are still doing well by selling ATV’s and outboard motors and boats along with excellent maintenance on sleds.

In retrospect, maybe it was a blessing for them and probably others to be rid of their greedy corporate partners.  Let someone else worry about inventory and carrying charges as well as warranty issues.

Sleds have gotten way too expensive and I think a more realistic supply chain is probably a good thing.

6 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

My buddy has one with around 5-6000 km on it.  Just did a trip with me to Suds.  Since he rode the 16 Viper he bought for his boy, I think the gears are turning for a Sidewinder.  I will ask him his thoughts on parting with it.  Price probably will not be right.

IMG_4950.thumb.JPG.69a7629bd5359f1028fb10e7c6773e65.JPG

One of my riding buddies has that one, 40th Anniversary Edition, with approx 30K kms. I'm sure he would sell for $8K, which I think is how much he paid new!

Nice, but I am looking for a 50th.

Seem like the last few years or so there has been over stock on more than just sleds,

Fall of 2015 after my truck got stolen I ended up picking up a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT for $44 000 out the door, yes $44 out the door that’s cheap considering. Had all the bells and whistles as it’s a slt, leather, 20” wheels which I didn’t care for but look good, hd trailering package witch  included bigger coolers beefy rear suspension and a bigger rear end gear, only had a few options less than the Denali.

There has to be more of a demand for something than having parking lots or dealerships full of stock, I beat you only see this in North America has everyone works hard but also we like our toys and play hard so manufacturers see this and take that and go nuts building products but sometimes there has to be a slow down or balance on what is getting produce. We as customers can only buy so much lol, and these winters like this year aren’t helping 

the cause..

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 5:35 PM, hancop said:

Based on the announcement below it sounds like it won't be long before Yamaha packs it in. With no 2 stroke in their line-up they are losing out on many sales.

Will be sad if they pack it in as competition is always great for any industry. Could be down to just Ski-Doo and Arctic Cat in a few years but if the prices continue to climb the whole industry may suffer.

"So, for 2019 Yamaha is going to do something that takes great discipline. Instead of adding more and more aggressive incentives to clear units, which costs the OEM significantly, they are cutting production – significantly. This also costs the OEM but is better for the dealer network and customers as far as resale.

For 2019 Yamaha is not only cutting the total number of units being built, they will only be offering 12 models vs. their 34 models last year. 5 of the 12 models for 2019 are spring-order only, leaving us with only SEVEN stocking models for 2019. There will be no Japanese-made models (Vector, Venture, Viking, Phazer) except the VK 540 two-stroke work sled."

Yamaha is very busy on other bigger projects...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Business-Trends/Yamaha-technology-leads-new-wave-of-motor-boat-development

2 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

Nice, I'll bet they want a few sheckles for that setup!

Yamaha and Polaris marketing to Snow Check only this year shows the Manus are waking up to the reality we've all known for 3 years. Flat land sledding in the east is getting creamed by environmental changes and all those left over sleds are getting to be a real problem. 

The outcry from the Polaris community got pretty loud when folks realized the 850 Patriot was snow check only. Got even louder when rumours we're rampant that dealers we're faced with an order ratio of up to 15 to 1 for snowcheck'd machines. (15 800's for 1 850). 

Then reached a panic state with rumours that only "Mega" dealers would be recognized by Polaris, and many dealers we're dropping sleds altogether to focus on ATV's.

Time will tell how it all plays out but I figure we'll have 4 manu's for some time to come. The changes we'll see will be in the purchasing experience. 

Myguess is that with prices increasing but warranties now reaching 4 years we'll soon see some kind  of leasing model introduced.

6 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

I remember when Yamaha entered the marine Stern drive market. Think they left after 6 years. 

The 4 year warranty is a joke. I cann,t understand how that is not classified as " FALSE ADVERTISING ".

They should only be able to advertise warranty in hours, or miles or kilometers driven, on seasonal products.

Until that changes, I will never buy a new seasonal toy, since I don,t like having an expiring warranty while the toys sit in a heated garage for approx. 10 months of each, so called warranty years.

22 hours ago, gibson said:

I remember when Yamaha entered the marine Stern drive market. Think they left after 6 years. 

Yamaha certainly seems to have done exceedingly well in the marine outboards, especially in the big hp units.

5 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

The 4 year warranty is a joke. I cann,t understand how that is not classified as " FALSE ADVERTISING ".

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's not false advertising because they will, in fact, warranty your machine for 4 years.  The fact that you don't like those terms doesn't make it deceitful.

• 2 weeks later...

The “4 year warranty” is a joke they cover you bumper to bumper for the first year and then it becomes a  third party warranty where you have to pay a deductible IF they’ll warrant that part. 

No it’s not false advertising, but people just need to read the fine print 

Agreed Baylaker. My son had a poor experience with the extended warranty company on his turbo cat a few years back. Never again will we buy extended warranty. It's not worth the paper it is written on. There are warranty companies out there that demand the dealer automatically adds and charges for an extended warranty. If you ask them to remove that charge and they refuse then walk away from the deal. If they are going to be dishonest with you right from the start then who is to say they will be  any more honest with you later.

Agreed Baylaker. My son had a poor experience with the extended warranty company on his turbo cat a few years back. Never again will we buy extended warranty. It's not worth the paper it is written on. There are warranty companies out there that demand the dealer automatically adds and charges for an extended warranty. If you ask them to remove that charge and they refuse then walk away from the deal. If they are going to be dishonest with you right from the start then who is to say they will be  any more honest with you later.

Only get manufacturer warranty no aftermarket and no deductible. Still they don't cover regular wear items or environmental damage, such as a stone putting a hole in ac condenser. 

Only get manufacturer warranty no aftermarket and no deductible. Still they don't cover regular wear items or environmental damage, such as a stone putting a hole in ac condenser. 

Abs may I ask why would you except them to cover that? Think about it,... 

Abs may I ask why would you except them to cover that? Think about it,... 

I don't expect them to cover it, but lots of people do.  When you buy an extended warranty that is usually first thing they will tell you, is ac can break and costs thousand to fix, but no worries if you buy this warranty it is all covered.  

I don't expect them to cover it, but lots of people do.  When you buy an extended warranty that is usually first thing they will tell you, is ac can break and costs thousand to fix, but no worries if you buy this warranty it is all covered.  

I was in the Ford dealer a couple of days ago and heard a guy trying to argue that taking the mirror off the side of the car backing out of the garage should be covered by warranty. After all the car is only 6 months old he says.

A rock through the A/C condenser is covered under your comprehensive insurance. A mirror removed on the garage door jamb is covered by at fault collision. 

See what the customer says when you tell him that. LOL

A rock through the A/C condenser is covered under your comprehensive insurance. A mirror removed on the garage door jamb is covered by at fault collision. 

See what the customer says when you tell him that. LOL

Now you tell me.  

Archived