Yamaha may be done-not good for industry

hancop

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gibson said:

A sad day for the loyal yamaha dealers. Hope them the best on finding another OEM who appreciates their efforts. 

That might be a struggle for some. For example Dunford's in Campbellford was a 'doo dealer for years & then a few years ago switched to Yamaha (I don't know the reasons). They are surrounded by Gateway (BRP all line) & Cat Shack in Ptbo to the west. Ted Bonter Marine sells Poo ATVs/UTVs & sleds in Marmora to the northeast. A Yamaha dealership in a similar situation might have a difficult time staying in business.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

That might be a struggle for some. For example Dunford's in Campbellford was a 'doo dealer for years & then a few years ago switched to Yamaha (I don't know the reasons). They are surrounded by Gateway (BRP all line) & Cat Shack in Ptbo to the west. Ted Bonter Marine sells Poo ATVs/UTVs & sleds in Marmora to the northeast. A Yamaha dealership in a similar situation might have a difficult time staying in business.

I believe (in Dunford's case) it was Doo that wanted them to carry an exclusive full lineup, that made them switch.

1 hour ago, Bigfish said:

I believe (in Dunford's case) it was Doo that wanted them to carry an exclusive full lineup, that made them switch.

Not true. My dealer only carries sleds and atv's from brp, nothing else, ie no watercraft, spderys etc

28 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Not true. My dealer only carries sleds and atv's from brp, nothing else, ie no watercraft, spderys etc

Dunfords also sold/sells Honda ATVs so that may have been an issue w/ BRP (going w/ what Bigfish posted).

A small yamaha dealer in my area is already done with selling yamahas,gave it to a big dealership,skidoo did this to a small dealer i bought a couple sleds from,havent bought a new doo since ,i like dealing with smaller shops.

3 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Love the internet conjecture.

Dunfords only sold Doo sleds, BRP wanted them to dump their other lines (Honda, etc) to carry only BRP  full lineup. Good ole Dunford boys said no.

Now we have how Gateway started.

Dunfords sold business about 3years ago, new owners are the ones who got Yammi in the shop. Eric Dunford was helping them transition for a year or two.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

Dunfords also sold/sells Honda ATVs so that may have been an issue w/ BRP (going w/ what Bigfish posted).

U are correct sir. Dunford were also completely fed up with the poor quality resulting in breakdowns with the sleds. Didnt want to dump reliable Honda for more presumed BRP headaches.

11 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Following the BRP Skidoo model of 10 years ago in terminating the smaller dealerships?

I'm pretty sure the country wide dealer cuts that Skidoo made was in 1995 Brian. I remember because we had a breakdown to a Polaris on our first trip to Gaspe in 1996 and got it repaired in a small shop in New Brunswick that had been a Doo dealer until the previous spring. The locals were still upset at Doo when we were there. There may have been another round of cuts 10 years ago but it was very widespread in 1995.

If you are like me, 20 years seems like only10.

Currently I only have Yamaha dealers that are easily in my traffic patterns. Going out of my way for an hour or more to find a dealer to get a machine or parts, is flat out inconvenient. As these oem's consolidate I hope they know what they are doing. its not like snowmobiles never break down.

MS

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

2 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Dunfords only sold Doo sleds, BRP wanted them to dump their other lines (Honda, etc) to carry only BRP  full lineup. Good ole Dunford boys said no.

Dunfords sold business about 3years ago, new owners are the ones who got Yammi in the shop. Eric Dunford was helping them transition for a year or two.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

U are correct sir. Dunford were also completely fed up with the poor quality resulting in breakdowns with the sleds. Didnt want to dump reliable Honda for more presumed BRP headaches.

Thankyou,

That was my understanding of what transpired!

The decline of Yamaha started in the late 90's. Too many years of BNG. And the promise to build strictly 4 strokes really limited the model line up

My 2 cents on this....

I've been a loyal Yammy guy for over 10yrs having 7 sleds since then. 

After that release on Tuesday, I look at what they're offering, and I can't help think that I'll be in a Cat Dealership ordering a '19 T-Cat or ZR9000. 

Yamaha only offers the new I-Act suspension on the Limited, which is a crappy color combo IMO.  They're regular season selection isn't much better.

Cat offers much more on all of their sleds, as well as they have a few color options to chose from.

I'll still have the Yammy reliability under the hood, but the decals are gonna have a big pussy on them, not a tuning fork.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I'm pretty sure the country wide dealer cuts that Skidoo made was in 1995 Brian. I remember because we had a breakdown to a Polaris on our first trip to Gaspe in 1996 and got it repaired in a small shop in New Brunswick that had been a Doo dealer until the previous spring. The locals were still upset at Doo when we were there. There may have been another round of cuts 10 years ago but it was very widespread in 1995.

I think just a couple years ago it happened to Ski Doo dealer in New hamburg...  they switched over to Yamaha....wonder if they will be shutting down too?

36 minutes ago, monte1214 said:

I'll still have the Yammy reliability under the hood, but the decals are gonna have a big pussy on them, not a tuning fork.

You mean like this ?

IMG_4385.thumb.JPG.f5f5e5c46e09ba9f63fee65c46a9db82.JPG

4 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Thread hijack alert

Not really sure how Gateway ties in to the Dunfords situation. Ptbo was w/o a 'doo dealer in '06 (had my sled repaired @ Dunfords after sled blew up north of the Soo) when White Water closed up shop (lots of conjecture @ the time).

In the spring of '07 we were looking for sleds, Gateway didn't have anything I was interested in, but bro' bought the wife's MXZ @ Dunfords.

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That sounds about right. During an ill-fated RAP tour in '97, we had a 'doo go for a crap east of Mattawa. It limped into a shop that had been a 'doo dealer up to a year or so prior. The guy still had 'doo parts. Also, bro' bought a pair of carbides in Gehrke's of Port Loring for a '95 Formula STX. I don't recall the year, but they were still a dealer @ the time.

I wouldn't rule Yamaha out yet

Apparently they are still building the Venture models in Japan, but only exporting them to the European market, for 2019.

Sounds like they have scaled back production for the N American market until the glut of non-current sleds is gone.

Love to get my hands on a 50th Anniversary Apex. If the price was right!

2 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

I wouldn't rule Yamaha out yet

Apparently they are still building the Venture models in Japan, but only exporting them to the European market, for 2019.

Sounds like they have scaled back production for the N American market until the glut of non-current sleds is gone.

We could've borrowed 1 for you in Timmins. Saw 1 parked in the motel lot on our way to breaky.

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

We could've borrowed 1 for you in Timmins. Saw 1 parked in the motel lot on our way to breaky.

I'm looking for more a permanent loan!:-D

15 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

My buddy has one with around 5-6000 km on it.  Just did a trip with me to Suds.  Since he rode the 16 Viper he bought for his boy, I think the gears are turning for a Sidewinder.  I will ask him his thoughts on parting with it.  Price probably will not be right.

IMG_4950.thumb.JPG.69a7629bd5359f1028fb10e7c6773e65.JPG

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Thread hijack alert

Not really sure how Gateway ties in to the Dunfords situation. Ptbo was w/o a 'doo dealer in '06 (had my sled repaired @ Dunfords after sled blew up north of the Soo) when White Water closed up shop (lots of conjecture @ the time).

In the spring of '07 we were looking for sleds, Gateway didn't have anything I was interested in, but bro' bought the wife's MXZ @ Dunfords.

Sorry I was not clear.

BRP  wanted Dunford to be a full line exclusive dealer. When they didn't agree Liam at Gateway jumped in.

I've heard a version about White water but memory is not clear on it. 

Was Chris Petratus( ya spelling) a part of W.W. He is now working at Gateway. 

16 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

My buddy has one with around 5-6000 km on it.  Just did a trip with me to Suds.  Since he rode the 16 Viper he bought for his boy, I think the gears are turning for a Sidewinder.  I will ask him his thoughts on parting with it.  Price probably will not be right.

IMG_4950.thumb.JPG.69a7629bd5359f1028fb10e7c6773e65.JPG

That is a 2008 40th not a 50th anniversary model..less HP  

29 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Sorry I was not clear.

BRP  wanted Dunford to be a full line exclusive dealer. When they didn't agree Liam at Gateway jumped in.

I've heard a version about White water but memory is not clear on it. 

Was Chris Petratus( ya spelling) a part of W.W. He is now working at Gateway. 

PM sent

Archived