Yamaha may be done-not good for industry

hancop

Based on the announcement below it sounds like it won't be long before Yamaha packs it in. With no 2 stroke in their line-up they are losing out on many sales.

Will be sad if they pack it in as competition is always great for any industry. Could be down to just Ski-Doo and Arctic Cat in a few years but if the prices continue to climb the whole industry may suffer.

"So, for 2019 Yamaha is going to do something that takes great discipline. Instead of adding more and more aggressive incentives to clear units, which costs the OEM significantly, they are cutting production – significantly. This also costs the OEM but is better for the dealer network and customers as far as resale.

For 2019 Yamaha is not only cutting the total number of units being built, they will only be offering 12 models vs. their 34 models last year. 5 of the 12 models for 2019 are spring-order only, leaving us with only SEVEN stocking models for 2019. There will be no Japanese-made models (Vector, Venture, Viking, Phazer) except the VK 540 two-stroke work sled."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Thx hancop

Went to the Yamaha website.

For 2019 mainstream riding, you can order a Sidewinder or a Viper.

(there's limited market snoscoot and the abovementioned VK540 as well).

Yamaha may be morphing into the Suzuki model - both produce motorcycles. And engines for snowmobiles (Suzuki having recently stopped 'tho, for Arctic Cat).  And marine engines.

I really sense that Yamaha will be an engine supplier, moving forward.

Enjoyed riding Yamaha sleds for over 20 years. 

39 minutes ago, hancop said:

Will be sad if they pack it in as competition is always great for any industry. Could be down to just Ski-Doo and Arctic Cat in a few years but if the prices continue to climb the whole industry may suffer.

Don't forget Polaris. We really have 3 chassis manufacturers right now.

Maybe it's the smart move to stay in the Business!

Yamaha aren't putting a 2 up sled on the snow either. I know it was just a rebadged AC but they have had one in the line up for a long time

Wonder if they are getting ready to buy Arctic Cat from Textron and just rebrand everything. Would be complimentary since Texteon has already rebranded their atv/utv ptoducts away from the Arctic Car name. 

Full R&D and production facilities already in place and they would not have the baggage of the off road vehicles to compete with the current Yamaha atv market. 

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

Wonder if they are getting ready to buy Arctic Cat from Textron and just rebrand everything. Would be complimentary since Texteon has already rebranded their atv/utv ptoducts away from the Arctic Car name. 

Full R&D and production facilities already in place and they would not have the baggage of the off road vehicles to compete with the current Yamaha atv market. 

Time to buy textron stock thanks buddy! 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Time to buy textron stock thanks buddy! 

If Yamaha owned both companies they could market 4 strokes under the Yamaha brand and put the 2 strokes under the Arctic Cat brand. Saves the Yamaha = 4 strokes philosophy and provides a great outlet for their 2 stroke technology. Common chassis and suspensions just different engines. Maintains the efficiencies in a larger production run but gets them back into the 2 stroke market. 

I am not holding my breath.  We'll see how the 900 Turbo holds up next year.

11 hours ago, kimzrcc said:

Maybe it's the smart move to stay in the Business!

Yup, somebody had to do it and be first, All brands can't go on like that, Dealers can't no longer keep those non current sleds in stock.  Something has to change and Yamaha is stepping up to do something.   It's smart business.

8 hours ago, Big Pete said:

If Yamaha owned both companies they could market 4 strokes under the Yamaha brand and put the 2 strokes under the Arctic Cat brand. Saves the Yamaha = 4 strokes philosophy and provides a great outlet for their 2 stroke technology. Common chassis and suspensions just different engines. Maintains the efficiencies in a larger production run but gets them back into the 2 stroke market. 

that would not work on a dealership level 

Here is the full article...it’s a very smart business move! I know I wouldn’t keep offering more options with all the leftovers available that are out there...not to mention the crappy the winters. Yamaha isn’t going anywhere, they are taking the steps needed in order to stay in the sled business. Remember, Yamaha’s R&D goes into there sport bikes, not their sleds. They don’t need to be in the sled business to stay alive, they do it to fill the void over the winter....they sell plenty of other products!

https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2019-yamaha-return-srx/

A Yamaha dealer in USA wrote:

My guess was correct. I normally order 70 to 80 new Yamaha's a year. Most dealers are going to be lucky to get 2!!!!!!!!!! That's not a misprint. Yamaha will rely 90% on their snow check program. They want to create a demand for their product and bring value to their used market. I say kudos to them for doing this. It's a bold move but I think it's the right one. Starting at 10 eastern time today each Yamaha dealer can order 3 2018 or 2017 models per day until they're all gone and models are limited!!!! If you want a Yamaha I strongly suggest you either order a new 2019 snow check or you get a 17 or 18!!! I doubt anyone saw this coming so it's going to be scramble for dealers and customers[IMG]!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

4 minutes ago, Greggie said:

A Yamaha dealer in USA wrote:

My guess was correct. I normally order 70 to 80 new Yamaha's a year. Most dealers are going to be lucky to get 2!!!!!!!!!! That's not a misprint. Yamaha will rely 90% on their snow check program. They want to create a demand for their product and bring value to their used market. I say kudos to them for doing this. It's a bold move but I think it's the right one. Starting at 10 eastern time today each Yamaha dealer can order 3 2018 or 2017 models per day until they're all gone and models are limited!!!! If you want a Yamaha I strongly suggest you either order a new 2019 snow check or you get a 17 or 18!!! I doubt anyone saw this coming so it's going to be scramble for dealers and customers[IMG]!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

You beat me to it! I was just trying to find that...

1 hour ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Yup, somebody had to do it and be first, All brands can't go on like that, Dealers can't no longer keep those non current sleds in stock.  Something has to change and Yamaha is stepping up to do something.   It's smart business.

It will probably drive their cost down. If you sell say 500,000 sleds across 20 different models the cost of producing the individual unique to each model parts will be higher than if you sell 500,000 sleds across only 10 different models. The standardization will reduce costs and those can be passed on to the customer or depending on their balance sheet restore profitability.

46 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Here is the full article...it’s a very smart business move! I know I wouldn’t keep offering more options with all the leftovers available that are out there...not to mention the crappy the winters. Yamaha isn’t going anywhere, they are taking the steps needed in order to stay in the sled business. Remember, Yamaha’s R&D goes into there sport bikes, not their sleds. They don’t need to be in the sled business to stay alive, they do it to fill the void over the winter....they sell plenty of other products!

https://www.snowtechmagazine.com/2019-yamaha-return-srx/

they sell their other products worldwide. there is no void over the winter that needs to be filled

But the windshield will slow it down nulling the speed benefit of the other changes.

Hmmm Jeff Bezos built his business on one focused thought; "your margin, is my opportunity"

In the information age the majority of customers are buying informed and aware of almost everything impacting their market options. Considering this reality, and the HUGE overhead of running inventory in hopes for walk in customers this might be brilliant if Yamaha can deliver top product, at DECREASING prices. Thats the key there

A $10k sled that competes with the competition at $15k will almost overnight become a runaway success. Hmmmm

Yamaha Canada is in the process of terminating 45 dealers this week.   My buddy (I wont say the name) was terminated as a dealer today and his rep told him that pretty much every small shop who isnt full line Yamaha is being terminated in the next few days.   

That really sucks!!  i feel for the guys/girls that will be losing their jobs.  Hopefully the ones that are going to be unemployed can find work quick.

27 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Yamaha Canada is in the process of terminating 45 dealers this week.   My buddy (I wont say the name) was terminated as a dealer today and his rep told him that pretty much every small shop who isnt full line Yamaha is being terminated in the next few days.   

A sad day for the loyal yamaha dealers. Hope them the best on finding another OEM who appreciates their efforts. 

Archived