Polaris - HP Wars are on!

Bryan XC700

So it appears that Polaris is gunning for top spot in the 800 class with the release of the 850 Patriot Motor to rival Ski-Doo's 850. They're offering a full 4 year warranty with it so they seem confident that this motor with stand up to the abuse!

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-ca/snowmobile-engines/850-patriot-engine/

14 minutes ago, Bryan XC700 said:

So it appears that Polaris is gunning for top spot in the 800 class with the release of the 850 Patriot Motor to rival Ski-Doo's 850. They're offering a full 4 year warranty with it so they seem confident that this motor with stand up to the abuse!

https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-ca/snowmobile-engines/850-patriot-engine/

Yes and I am really excited about xcr, just not sure how efficient the motor will be fuel and oil wise. 

I'm curious about that as well. I was in Cochrane two weeks ago riding with friends. We rode the Canyon on the Friday so here are real world fuel consumption for that ride with 4 different sleds & all of us on the loud button for the ride. We filled up at the Canyon for $3/L .

2018 Ski-Doo XRS 850 - 23 L

2018 Ski-Doo Blizzard 850 - 22 L

2013 Polaris Pro R 800 - 31 L

2002 Polaris 800 XC SP - 34 L (me)

I'll be very interested in the fuel mileage of the new Polaris 850. 

I rode my 17 Assault 800 to the Canyon on Saturday - 25L

10 minutes ago, -crz- said:

I rode my 17 Assault 800 to the Canyon on Saturday - 25L

I was curious about the 800's as well, just to compare did you ride from Cochrane? 

We filled up at the Esso in Cochrane & rode the East side up to the Canyon (long way) & then filled up. 

9 minutes ago, Bryan XC700 said:

I was curious about the 800's as well, just to compare did you ride from Cochrane? 

We filled up at the Esso in Cochrane & rode the East side up to the Canyon (long way) & then filled up. 

Same. Filled at Petro across from Tim's & up the east side.

7 minutes ago, -crz- said:

Same. Filled at Petro across from Tim's & up the east side.

That's great to know! I heard those 800's were pretty good on fuel as well, just didn't have any first hand knowledge of them!

For people to say they made trip X and it took Y L of fuel may help in determining fuel consumption to some extent however what we really need is more of what Bryan posted. 4 different sleds riding the same route as a group. The conditions and speeds would be comparable for all 4. When you look at the single sled stats there are too many variables. Pushing fresh snow, how fast, how quick was accelerations, how many trailside stops.

26 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

For people to say they made trip X and it took Y L of fuel may help in determining fuel consumption to some extent however what we really need is more of what Bryan posted. 4 different sleds riding the same route as a group. The conditions and speeds would be comparable for all 4. When you look at the single sled stats there are too many variables. Pushing fresh snow, how fast, how quick was accelerations, how many trailside stops.

Agreed it's not scientific.

I was the cheapest out of myself, a 2015 800 Polaris and a 2012 600 Polaris. The other two were between 26 and 29 Liters if I remember correctly.

46 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Or.you ask someone in your group how much gas did they take, "28 bucks!"

(that doesn't help you dumbass)

I filled up at the esso in Cochrane and took 19L up at the canyon.  Varying speeds but would be safe to say the average speed was 60 mph

I just put gas in when needed and don't worry about it.

14 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I just put gas in when needed and don't worry about it.

It isn't the cost that we worry about, it is more about range that the sled can do. No fun having to carry gas to make it in between fuel stops and having to mail 1 litre bottles of oil to all the motels that I will be staying at on tour, when other manufactures can get great fuel economy.  I am hoping Polaris can improve the mileage on the new 850. If it could get 275 km's on a tank, that would be great and 400 or so km's on a litre of oil would be expected. 

9 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

It isn't the cost that we worry about, it is more about range that the sled can do. No fun having to carry gas to make it in between fuel stops and having to mail 1 litre bottles of oil to all the motels that I will be staying at on tour, when other manufactures can get great fuel economy.  I am hoping Polaris can improve the mileage on the new 850. If it could get 275 km's on a tank, that would be great and 400 or so km's on a litre of oil would be expected. 

225 kms when ridden hard on groomed trails is more than enough range to tour this entire trail system. 4 liters of oil in a sled that burns at 50 one with even a high 18l/100km has a range of 1100 km on a four liter reservoir. If you cannot find oil for your sled in that distance you are not looking.

I didnt see a hp number listed anywhere, is this not yet released or does anyone know? ( or did I miss it? )

The four year warranty aspect means as much to me as snake oil promises. If the warranty said immediate loaner sled of equal or higher model until repaired and/or new transplant engines for warranty on exchange same day service guarantee? Then we would have warranty worth the paper its written on. I'd rather have none, and a cheaper sale price.

The hp battle is a lot of fun though, that part is awesome

As far as I can see they haven't released any HP numbers yet. 

9% over current 800ho. My math says 168-170 range, though nothing published.

HP numbers don't mean much to me. This new engine works though...linear power delivery throughout rpm range.

Polaris cant keep the 800 together, what make you think the 850 will be a better performer, or have better longevity. never buy a first year model... NEVER. Ski

I don't know of many 800's going up since 2012 or so.

18 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Polaris cant keep the 800 together, what make you think the 850 will be a better performer, or have better longevity. never buy a first year model... NEVER. Ski

weird.  Everyone I ride with that has an 800 polaris(2015 and above) hasn't had a problem

The 800HO is a much better engine that the old 800cfi (pre-2015). The new 850 has been in development since the 800HO came out.

I was told by Polaris they have tested several well over 8000 miles. Time will tell I suppose.

why do they still sell the "reliability kit" for all years then? several people on here have lost new gen 800 motors too. they all have problems, ALL MFGS,... they all have problems. Ski

Archived