Timmins - Comfort Inn

revrnd

Now to the Comfort Inn. Can someone tell us as to how you would access it? This morning we were checking out the local trails & also the CI. Followed L27 to the McIntyre Arena only to see signs stating one has to follow road to trail to get to the CI. The motel is a fair distance west of the rink. Can you sled beside the 4 lane road here? 

We also saw sled tracks from L27, across the lake to the north side of the road (just east of the commercial buildings) from here you have to cross the highway.

In the afternoon I spoke w/ a couple at the C & L24 jct looking @ a map. They were looking for directions to the Comfort Inn. I warned them of the situation & they followed us to the L24/L27 jct.

I've shown the 'route' the signs send people in purple on the screen capture. When we drove out Sun' morning, we saw more signage @ the southeast corner of the intersection (kitty corner to the arena) directing sledders to the Comfort Inn. We weren't really sure where you would ride. Where I've marked a line in black, there were sled tracks to the snow bank on the north side of the highway. Not sure of the legality though as there are 'Private Property No Trespassing' signs between L27 & the pond.

From what we could see, I think the Comfort Inn would be a last resort for staying @ due to the possibly tenuous access. That being said, I could see a couple of pickups w/ enclosed trailers in the parking lot. 

5a9de52bc83e7_TimminsCenter-Copy.thumb.JPG.29da2a95578a514a38edb35f7a990bd5.JPG

There's signs there for the Comfort Inn, unfortunately when the roads are bare in town like they are now it will be tough to get to.  Once off the trail you have to take MacIntyre Rd (spelling might be wrong) cross hwy 101 turn right as soon as you cross the highway (road) runs behind all the businesses parallel to hwy#101 and it takes you right to the motel.  A bit of road rash and sidewalk rash IMHO.  When we were there one month ago it was no problem at all to get there.  Actually I didn't realize we ran a sidewalk until I saw it was bare today when we drove by.  Hope this helps.  There's so many other places to stay that are on trail.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:28 PM, extreme600 said:

There's signs there for the Comfort Inn, unfortunately when the roads are bare in town like they are now it will be tough to get to.  Once off the trail you have to take MacIntyre Rd (spelling might be wrong) cross hwy 101 turn right as soon as you cross the highway (road) runs behind all the businesses parallel to hwy#101 and it takes you right to the motel.  A bit of road rash and sidewalk rash IMHO.  When we were there one month ago it was no problem at all to get there.  Actually I didn't realize we ran a sidewalk until I saw it was bare today when we drove by.  Hope this helps.  There's so many other places to stay that are on trail.

It does, thanks. Yes, there are other places in the city that are easier to get to. This trip was the 1st time I was able to check the access to the Super 8 that a lot of people choose to stay @.

17 hours ago, revrnd said:

It does, thanks. Yes, there are other places in the city that are easier to get to. This trip was the 1st time I was able to check the access to the Super 8 that a lot of people choose to stay @.

Our group has done the Super 8 for over 15 years. No complaints. I even sat in the lobby in my pj's one year, after the first blown ski Doo piston, day 1 of the week trip, and watched the group ride out. The whole lobby area is now setup for the basic breakfast.

Now the Caseys restaurant next door was surprisingly very empty in mid Feb compared to all the years before. However, food was ok.

Sorry, but I've never understood why anyone wanted to struggle to get to the Comfort Inn.

(RIP John - Smart enough in 2008 to be riding  Yamaha. outside in the window.)

It was Family day weekend. Dealers were all closed until Tuesday......

IMG_2128.JPG

Sorry you blew a piston that year, Gadgetman, but on the plus side, you looked very distinguished wearing those pyjamas in the lobby. As if you owned the place. Quite Hefneresque.

3 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Sorry you blew a piston that year, Gadgetman, but on the plus side, you looked very distinguished wearing those pyjamas in the lobby. As if you owned the place. Quite Hefneresque.

Ok, you win for the most positive and creative outlook for that weekend. I'll ask the boss if she has any bunny outfits, as I still have those pj's. ..cheers

33 minutes ago, Blake G said:

All he needs is a pipe & a couple of blondes to pull that off B). LOL

Gadgetman, Timmins seems to be getting a reputation for riders being abandoned by their groups ;). .

43 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Gadgetman, Timmins seems to be getting a reputation for riders being abandoned by their groups ;). .

As trying and as expensive as that weekend was, broken sled in Timmins is better than a broken sled 10 KM south of the Canyon. (Piston 2, 2 years later.)

The Timmins trip, I met the group in Hearst, after renting a sled out of Kirkland Lake, on there return legs. 

Archived