Sudbury tips

Dirtbag

Looking for a few tips on Fuel and Food 

Planning on running wolf loop on friday, and shining tree and back on saturday

I see Rockys is hosting a radar run on the weekend, so I might want to stay away from there

Staying at the Chateau Guay... will likely trailer to Skead  or STP yard so also wondering how much parking is there, rules on parking and directions to the trail from there

any tips?    much appreciated

thanks

1 hour ago, Dirtbag said:

Looking for a few tips on Fuel and Food 

Planning on running wolf loop on friday, and shining tree and back on saturday

I see Rockys is hosting a radar run on the weekend, so I might want to stay away from there

Staying at the Chateau Guay... will likely trailer to Skead  or STP yard so also wondering how much parking is there, rules on parking and directions to the trail from there

any tips?    much appreciated

thanks

The STP yard and the Skead rec center are right on trail, both you just cross the road to get directly on the trail. Rockies will be fine and I would not avoid it as it is a hub on that loop, plus fuel is city priced and fresh. The food is good, and watching a few runs is fun too. You can stage in skead, hop on the trail, drop down to the railbed head west to capreol and take the L trail, it is very niceit will drop you on the big lake close to rockies. Watch the groomers herw so you know if you will be riding groomed trails or those left for a week.https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

1 hour ago, zoso said:

The STP yard and the Skead rec center are right on trail, both you just cross the road to get directly on the trail. Rockies will be fine and I would not avoid it as it is a hub on that loop, plus fuel is city priced and fresh. The food is good, and watching a few runs is fun too. You can stage in skead, hop on the trail, drop down to the railbed head west to capreol and take the L trail, it is very niceit will drop you on the big lake close to rockies. Watch the groomers herw so you know if you will be riding groomed trails or those left for a week.https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

Pretty much what he said

thanks very much to both of you.  any tips on shining tree and back in a day?   is there fuel up there?  running older sleds and a heavy thumb.....  also considering the cartier loop as well instead of shining tree and back on sat  any thoughts?

I really like the Windy Lake run to wolf mountain and back. It’s a great day and Windy Lake Motel has parking, fuel,good food and accommodations. You need to know how many kms you get per tank if you are going to shining tree. I believe it’s 144 kms up but there is fuel in shining tree. Rocky’s on race day is busy but not too bad. Gas is no problem and the crowds aren’t unbearable if last year was any example. The STP yard can be less snow this time of year and scratchers are a plus. Touch base with soupkids, he seems to ride a lot and has good trail knowledge. 144 kms x 2 is a long day. Parking at the STP yard is encouraged and of overnight you leave a note with a phone number and eta on your dash. 

1 hour ago, Xfirecat said:

I really like the Windy Lake run to wolf mountain and back. It’s a great day and Windy Lake Motel has parking, fuel,good food and accommodations. You need to know how many kms you get per tank if you are going to shining tree. I believe it’s 144 kms up but there is fuel in shining tree. Rocky’s on race day is busy but not too bad. Gas is no problem and the crowds aren’t unbearable if last year was any example. The STP yard can be less snow this time of year and scratchers are a plus. Touch base with soupkids, he seems to ride a lot and has good trail knowledge. 144 kms x 2 is a long day. Parking at the STP yard is encouraged and of overnight you leave a note with a phone number and eta on your dash. 

Shining tree to the gas is as you say around 150kms, it is not a very long day as much of it can be run at speed, we used to ride for hours around sudbury, then head there for lunch. You can get there in under two hours of ride time not counting whiskey breaks.

I haven't been out since I got back but riding from the stp yard is doable.

Trails north are fantastic

If you can ride at 60+ towing a sleigh it's pretty good.

Thanks kindly for all your updates, still hoping to head up for a couple of day rides as well, life is so busy sometimes Lol.

11 hours ago, zoso said:

Shining tree to the gas is as you say around 150kms, it is not a very long day as much of it can be run at speed, we used to ride for hours around sudbury, then head there for lunch. You can get there in under two hours of ride time not counting whiskey breaks.

150km from where exactly?  Rockys?     

Shining Tree to Rocky's is 130km if you run the river.  Just did it yesterday.  Shining Tree has premium fuel at a reasonable price.  It is an easy day trip as the trails up there are fairly fast.

1 hour ago, Fergie said:

Shining Tree to Rocky's is 130km if you run the river.  Just did it yesterday.  Shining Tree has premium fuel at a reasonable price.  It is an easy day trip as the trails up there are fairly fast.

hey there Fergie... is "running the river" a marked route?  or at least easy to find?   this will be my first trip up there

8 minutes ago, Dirtbag said:

hey there Fergie... is "running the river" a marked route?  or at least easy to find?   this will be my first trip up there

its east to find, when you get to the sand banks for the north river, head left instead of up the bank.

no its not marked.

Hey guys. Any update on the red closed trail 71?   Understand it’s closed due to a ice heave but would like to run it sat morning.   Is it still staked at least.   

Still staked.

Red due to pressure crack. 

Easy to get around or over.

Somebody dunked their sled in it because they went to slow 

3 hours ago, soupkids said:

Still staked.

Red due to pressure crack. 

Easy to get around or over.

Somebody dunked their sled in it because they went to slow 

Hey Soup,do you want someone to buy you lunch tomorrow? 2 of us trailering up from Pte au Baril. Launch from Skeed or STP yard.Would love a guide for the day.Last minute thing--havn't even looked at a map yet.

I'm up here now, stop yard is thin but still ok. Saw the groomer making tracks this aft. 

Wolf loop was great today. We went from stp yard up west side around the wolf loop, 206-c/d, 83,105 and back to stp

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I'm up here now, stop yard is thin but still ok. Saw the groomer making tracks this aft. 

Wolf loop was great today. We went from stp yard up west side around the wolf loop, 206-c/d, 83,105 and back to stp

Going to drop at Skead,early and.Doo the wolf loop.Good to hear it's in good shape.Thanks.

Archived