Why Is the lake trail closed in Sudbury?

Dirtbag

Folks,,  anyone have local insight into why a portion of trail 71 is closed on Lake W in Sudbury?

image.png

Just Saw in another post that it is likely due to a pressure crack that keeps opening and closing..  sounds like a go at your own risk situation

interesting. I have ridden that lake thousands of times and many over open water on the stake line that remained listed as open. This is the first time \I think I have seen it closed due to a pressure crack and not thin ice. I did hear that somebody sank a sled, and maybe it happened on the stake line that was open, this would then be a good reason to shut her down. However, I have skipped across a forty foot open section on that very  trail many a time, and often there is a way around it off the stake line, but if you don't know, don't go.

Should be yellow not red.

Pressure crack, one day open, one day closed.

Easy to get across in daylight, could be tricky in the dark.

The north end of the lake on 71 on the north end of the lake has a section that has dropped 24-30 inches where the river is. Use caution in the area. 

1 hour ago, Xfirecat said:

The north end of the lake on 71 on the north end of the lake has a section that has dropped 24-30 inches where the river is. Use caution in the area. 

it is like that every year. There is no water under where the drop is, it is a sand beach;

Thanks, I didn’t know that so took it with the throttle pressed. The drop off can catch you off guard if you have the right light conditions. Been by there a few years but never seen it dropped that far. 

Archived