600 ace true mileage

cornbinder

did the  abilti canyon loop run   on the 600 ace  the other day without fueling   total    300 km  cochrane smooth rock  cochrane    worked out to  10 km  per litre     45 km per gallon         or 28 miles per  gallon  imperial       At 300 km you had better find fuel  usable is far less than fuel capacity on  sled maybe    34 litres or so       ran  half west side at 110 k   or so  no trying to save fuel    only time ace lacks is in deep power running on hydro access were it maxs at 70 k .    there is 3 feet of powder though and  i have to weigh 260 with all the gear and luggage       had to resort to following a swt 600 etec   thing  floats like feather  stings like bee               The ace eats a pile more gas in powder probably double the amount

• Like 2

Conditions play a huge factor in gas mileage.  In perfect conditions the 600ACE will yield over 400km per tank, but since you were in powder, at full acceleration and loaded up, low chance you'll get that.

Burping the gas tank can get a few more litres into the tank.  Did you actually run your tank dry?  Or just assumed you were empty because of your fuel gauge?

I did the Canyon from SRF to the fuel station by the Westway, 33L for the whole thing, 233km.  On an MXz 800 E-tec.  If the thing actually holds and gets all the fuel, I would have had another 40km in it.  I would hope the 600 ACE does way better... the 900 is impressive enough.

• Like 2

Will post my calculation from the trip later. 916 klicks for the total.

16 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Will post my calculation from the trip later. 916 klicks for the total.

I would be interested in it too for comparison sake. Now 900 is fixed so I will have to run it side by side again. Average last time I looked at it was around 12 to 13 litres per hundred and etec was 10. I was told four strokes don't back shift as efficantky as a two stroke. Here in south we stop allot. 

7 hours ago, Grimm said:

Conditions play a huge factor in gas mileage.  In perfect conditions the 600ACE will yield over 400km per tank, but since you were in powder, at full acceleration and loaded up, low chance you'll get that.

Burping the gas tank can get a few more litres into the tank.  Did you actually run your tank dry?  Or just assumed you were empty because of your fuel gauge?

Agreed on that. I ran from shining tree to rockies in 2 feet of powder averaging about 110-120 kmh the entire trip except in the twisty parts of the pole line and burned 34 liters of fuel in 150 km of riding. groomed hard trails I burn 21 liters on the same trip. Range on sled went from 240 kms down to 155kms and I almost ran out of fuel. Another think I found, riding very slow burns a ton more fuel per km. This season I was out for a few hours putting around  doing some brushing and riding on pre groomed early season trails, added 25 liters for 75 kms. Unless you know your sled very well it is hard to determine your range if you are riding in abnormal conditions.

Edited by zoso
  • Like 1

The ACE 4 strokes get very good mileage at trail speeds (40 - 80 km/hr).  If you start running them wide open or in heavy snow the mileage numbers fall off considerably to the point that higher horsepower sleds get better mileage.  I do think a 600 e-Tec will beat the 900 ace in mileage in most conditions.  It won’t beat the 600 ACE.  The mileage readout on my 900 ACE reads 11 litres per 100 km in my last big trail ride.  That was with good trail conditions (groomed and -15 out) riding at trail speeds 40 - 80 km/hr.

Edited by signfan

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I did the Canyon from SRF to the fuel station by the Westway, 33L for the whole thing, 233km.  On an MXz 800 E-tec.  If the thing actually holds and gets all the fuel, I would have had another 40km in it.  I would hope the 600 ACE does way better... the 900 is impressive enough.

So 14 L per 100 km roughly.  Not bad for an 800.

• Like 1

I was thinking the thread was for 900s, oh well. For 916 kms I burned 107.8 litres = 11.8 L/100 kms Trail riding, w/ some 'lake running', but no breaking trail. 

When irREVerent & I filled up over the 4 days, we were always within a litre to fill.

• Like 1

back from Kap & Cochrane a few weeks ago, me with a 2016 Blizzard 900 running in sport mode and the other guy running a 2015 GSX 600 etech  and at every fill up the 900 toke a litre or 2 more.

almost 2000 ks, I gave him the business though as he had to add oil.

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I was thinking the thread was for 900s, oh well. For 916 kms I burned 107.8 litres = 11.8 L/100 kms Trail riding, w/ some 'lake running', but no breaking trail. 

When irREVerent & I filled up over the 4 days, we were always within a litre to fill.

Title says 600 not 900.

The 600 etec does very well when run easy .   Fuel mileage drops off fast at high power  no better really than carb 600  when throttled up.   Apparently only the etec outboards recieve a statified charge at higher rpms   outboard  max out 5500 or 6000       Last time I putted with the bride on the 600 etec touring mileage   was very impressive . It would not doubt  rival  or beat a 600 ace  with the same workload.    At 4000 you are in outboard rpm range and i believe also get the statified charge fuel economy that makes the outboards blow the doors off 4 strokes when driven easy

54 minutes ago, zoso said:

Title says 600 not 900.

Dyslexia

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, revrnd said:

I haven't calculated mine, but suspect it was pretty close to your numbers, revrnd.  The trip computer on the sled showed an overall running average consumption rate of 10 L/100 kms, so it appears to be a bit optimistic compared to actual consumption.  Regardless, 11-12 L/100 kms  (which equates to 24-26 mpg) is pretty damn good, especially considering that we weren't dallying much of the time, over our 4 days of riding...lots of "lake running"  speeds in the 110-130 kph range, whenever conditions allowed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, revrnd said:

That is bang on what I get for a 137" track on 900. Etec about 2 litres per hundred better. Doo over stated fuel economy numbers on 900 or test rider rode it in Eco mode across artic ocean at 40 km/hr to get mileage doo states. Range is typically around 75 km's less then etec I find. 

• 4 years later...

Have a 2017 Tundra LT 600 ACE. Have about 5500 km on it, use it in regular mode mostly and average 10L / 100km with a mix of powder and hard packed trails. As for the gas gauge I find the gas light will start flashing with about 10L left in the tank. Also when gassing up you need to burp the tank too truly get it full. 

• Like 2