Wawa best hwy directions from orillia ont

11 North to 101, through Timmins continue West to Wawa. 

6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

11 North to 101, through Timmins continue West to Wawa. 

17N has been closed numerous times this year due to storms coming off Lake Superior. What makes it a great sledding area also causes all the travel issues. Dennis007 outlines probably the next best way, other than 17W to 129

6 minutes ago, Old Sledder said:

17N has been closed numerous times this year due to storms coming off Lake Superior. What makes it a great sledding area also causes all the travel issues. Dennis007 outlines probably the next best way, other than 17W to 129

129 can be a goat path at times

Have a look at 400 north & highway 69 Sudbury .....Sudbury by-pass (west toward highway 17) to highway 144 north...... food and gas in Chelmsford.....to highway 101 - turn left to Folyette and  Wawa, right to Timmins.

6 hours ago, Old Sledder said:

True

better than the Sultan rd

Ran that road from 144 to Chapeau 30 years ago. 100 miles of washboard

Sultan is much better now.  If it is consistently below zero it is even better as the potholes fill with snow.  Several groups that I rode with at the Snow Down in Wawa took the sultan with their trailers and had no complaints.  I almost always take the Sultan when heading south.  As far as Orillia to Wawa I would take 17 if not willing to drive 80 km of logging roads, unless they are calling for squalls that is when 17 can get nasty.  The highway along the lake is gorgeous.  If the weather is bad take the suggestion of parking in searchmont and riding up.  

6 hours ago, slomo said:

Have a look at 400 north & highway 69 Sudbury .....Sudbury by-pass (west toward highway 17) to highway 144 north...... food and gas in Chelmsford.....to highway 101 - turn left to Folyette and  Wawa, right to Timmins.

This is the route to travel except turn left at the Esso station (the Water shed) onto the sultan Rd intersection of Hwy 144 and 560

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 7:48 PM, catinental couch said:

I agree northstar. That is the way me and my wife went to Wawa on our shortened northern loop trip. As Luc suggested, it takes a lot of time off the truck ride.

Sultan road is my road of choice in the winter, keep your side in the twisty section and drive slower, it the other parts of the road where it's more strait it's Hammer down,  I use my GPS to help me see the upcoming sharp curves.  

On 3/1/2018 at 7:10 AM, soupkids said:

129 can be a goat path at times

X2

It was rough towing a TT in the summer of '16. I can't imagine what it's like in the winter. North of the Wakometa Lake area, it's not much better than a 500 or 600 series highway.

I can understand the desire to ride PQ trails but I would rather explore our own first and give my tourist dollars to the hard working people in our province. (Especially mom and pop establishments.)   The few northern trails that I have ridden were pure heaven to me. The northern hospitality is second to none. If I can ride, and there is still snow, it will be in Northern Ontario.

On 3/1/2018 at 4:57 PM, matt17 said:

Sultan is much better now. 

I am always worried about insurance concerns if travelling this road - as I recall, it is not a provincially maintained road. (although there are calls for the province to assume it) ??

10 hours ago, catinental couch said:

I can understand the desire to ride PQ trails but I would rather explore our own first and give my tourist dollars to the hard working people in our province. (Especially mom and pop establishments.)   The few northern trails that I have ridden were pure heaven to me. The northern hospitality is second to none. If I can ride, and there is still snow, it will be in Northern Ontario.

I'm a mom and pop establishment* kind of guy myself, but treat yourself to something different once in a while....I think you'd like northern New Brunswick. You should always have a Plan B.

*Did have an experience this  year though where the parting words from the office were "don't steal the towels". Not a word of a lie. If the motel did not have a restaurant next door and direct access to the trail, we would have been out of there....so much for principles I guess.....although we did discover the password for their fast internet as opposed to the slow one provided for guests....laptop needed a few updates....not the Windy Lake Motel...really like that place...

44 minutes ago, slomo said:

I am always worried about insurance concerns if travelling this road - as I recall, it is not a provincially maintained road. (although there are calls for the province to assume it) ??

I'm a mom and pop establishment* kind of guy myself, but treat yourself to something different once in a while....I think you'd like northern New Brunswick. You should always have a Plan B.

*Did have an experience this  year though where the parting words from the office were "don't steal the towels". Not a word of a lie. If the motel did not have a restaurant next door and direct access to the trail, we would have been out of there....so much for principles I guess.....although we did discover the password for their fast internet as opposed to the slow one provided for guests....laptop needed a few updates....not the Windy Lake Motel...really like that place...

As for insurance, it's no different then us going on the old logging roads for a ride with our trucks,  you are covered, the Gov pays for the maintenance of Sultan road, they give money to the logging company to maintain it and its open to the public. lot's of trafic on that road.

Revrnd, the Sultan road is worse to drive on when there is no snow and ice. Like Luc says. The ice and snow fill in the pot holes. I went that way to Wawa in winter once but was up there moose hunting every year for years. Just about everything in the travel trailer changed places by the time we got into the moose camp.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

Revrnd, the Sultan road is worse to drive on when there is no snow and ice. Like Luc says. The ice and snow fill in the pot holes. I went that way to Wawa in winter once but was up there moose hunting every year for years. Just about everything in the travel trailer changed places by the time we got into the moose camp.

A neighbour was on it a couple of summers ago (fishing near Bisco) & had his truck hit by a boat that came flying off a trailer as he approached the oncoming truck & trailer.

That is unfortunate but if I am not mistaken, the lumber trucks have right of way all the time and speed and courtesy are thrown to the wind.

Have you seen all the big truck parts laying on the side of the road?

57 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

That is unfortunate but if I am not mistaken, the lumber trucks have right of way all the time and speed and courtesy are thrown to the wind.

Have you seen all the big truck parts laying on the side of the road?

I seem to recall the MTO road maps of the 70s stated that the Sultan Road & the road north out of Nairn Centre were private EB Eddy roads & a permit was need for travel on them. Can anyone (Freezerburnt perhaps?) confirm this?

I know they were E.B. Eddy roads but I am not sure about the privacy other than the fact that if they didn't want you to go somewhere specific, they took out the bridges or blocked it off in some way. Such as the road to the Woman River crossing.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎01 at 10:53 AM, slomo said:

That's a long way around, I never use this.. make trip longer.  I would rather take 129 to 101 if hwy 17 was closed.   Sultan road is my choice.

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 8:19 PM, revrnd said:

I seem to recall the MTO road maps of the 70s stated that the Sultan Road & the road north out of Nairn Centre were private EB Eddy roads & a permit was need for travel on them. Can anyone (Freezerburnt perhaps?) confirm this?

In the old days but now its a logging road but used by public, Like I said they get funding for it by the gov and everyone  uses it.  Keep an eye on the logging trucks, I learned that moving over and slowing very slow makes it worst as some are a-holes and will gear up and zoom by, if you reduce speed a bit and stay in your lane and before he gets to you slow down and move over its better if not they blast down the road.    keep on you side, drive safe and turn on your full lights for them to see you.  

Archived