Good Samaritans and a Cautionary Tale

Claire Voyant

Hello folks. Haven't been on here in a while, but wanted to reach out to two Good Samaritans who helped my husband out of jam on Saturday, February 24th.

On Saturday, the volunteers of the Northern Corridor du Nord had their 2nd Annual group ride. Riders meet up from both ends of the district, gather in Kapuskasing for lunch and then proceed to the Companion in Hearst, for dinner and an evening of socializing. 

During lunch, a decision was made to change the route: they would take the L123 to Opasatika, instead of the "A". Hearing that one volunteer from Val Rita had planned to meet the group on the "A" trail, my husband took it upon himself to head there to try and round up that volunteer. The plan then, was to take the L145 down to the L123, meet up with the group and proceed, en masse, to Hearst. No one offered to ride with him. He was told they would wait for him at the junction of the two trails.

To make a long story short, hubby never found the volunteer. He rode the L145 to meet the group. No group. After waiting a short while, he realized that the group had not stopped to wait for him. He proceeded west, seemingly now riding all the way to Hearst by himself. So much for a "group" ride. 

10 km further west on the L123, his sled died. No amount of troubleshooting helped. Survival gear (axe, saw, firestarter, etc.) had been left at home in lieu of sneakers and jeans to wear to supper. And of course, there was NO CELL COVERAGE. The clock was moving towards 4:00 pm.

After about 40 minutes, two riders appeared, heading east. A young couple, from Chelmsford, we believe they said. Hubby thinks their names were Barbara and Yvan.  Yvan gave my big bear of a husband a ride on the back of his sled to the junction of the L143, where hubby knew there was cell phone coverage. I got the call at home. Yvan was going to give him a ride a couple klicks further east to Cargill Road, where I would pick him up. These two angels stayed with my husband until I arrived. I shouted a quick "Thank you", they responded "No problem", got on their sleds and continued on their way. Thanks to them, my husband was home before the gang in Hearst even knew he was missing. 

Hubby found out that they were familiar with Ontario Conditions and knew Denis007, which is why I am reaching out to them to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Please message me and I guarantee there will be dinner and drinks on me next time you are in town. 

So many lessons learned from this but it had a happy ending, thanks to those two FANTASTIC Samaritans.

Thanks for indulging me in posting my story.

Nice story, glad to see good people around.

Yes great story and I am sure your husband learned a lesson too. Thankfully trails are busy enough someone came along to help,Some days only see 3 sleds in awhole day, would be a long wait no doubt. 

Great story. Glad everything worked out alright.

I am guessing the "angel's were "evil twin", and her hubby... good people for sure. glad everything worked out ok for your husband. shows you the type of people they really are. good job!!! Ski

Ironically it was indeed Evil from the forum here and her man.  The irony is, one of their own sleds died after leaving Moonbeam Clubhouse, they towed themselves to SRF. I tried to help troubleshooting on the phone to no avail, sled not starting.  They had to tow it all the way to Timmins where the truck was .... highways closed due to the storm.  She messaged me that they had arrived without incident. 

We all try to help whenever we can.

The common phrase used now is Pay it forward.... at least the concept.

If you can help someone, do it. You never know when you're going to be the one needing help. It just seems intuitive that if you see someone on a trail with an engine cover/panel open, even if they're with someone else, that you stop and check if they need your help. It could be a boost or a lone of a tool. Who knows.

Yes that was us!  We always stop to help anybody that needs it!  It was a pleasure to chat with your hubby on the trail while waiting!  This forum makes it a very small world indeed!

Unfortunately, I had an wiring issue with my 1200 in Moonbeam and towed it from there to Timmins!  FUN!

Thanks for your time with the troubleshooting Denis! 

sled.jpg

2 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Ironically it was indeed Evil from the forum here and her man.  The irony is, one of their own sleds died after leaving Moonbeam Clubhouse, they towed themselves to SRF. I tried to help troubleshooting on the phone to no avail, sled not starting.  They had to tow it all the way to Timmins where the truck was .... highways closed due to the storm.  She messaged me that they had arrived without incident. 

We all try to help whenever we can.

Thanks again Denis!

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I am guessing the "angel's were "evil twin", and her hubby... good people for sure. glad everything worked out ok for your husband. shows you the type of people they really are. good job!!! Ski

Hey Ski!  Been a long time, hope all is will with you and the Mrs!

9 hours ago, Claire Voyant said:

Hello folks. Haven't been on here in a while, but wanted to reach out to two Good Samaritans who helped my husband out of jam on Saturday, February 24th.

On Saturday, the volunteers of the Northern Corridor du Nord had their 2nd Annual group ride. Riders meet up from both ends of the district, gather in Kapuskasing for lunch and then proceed to the Companion in Hearst, for dinner and an evening of socializing. 

During lunch, a decision was made to change the route: they would take the L123 to Opasatika, instead of the "A". Hearing that one volunteer from Val Rita had planned to meet the group on the "A" trail, my husband took it upon himself to head there to try and round up that volunteer. The plan then, was to take the L145 down to the L123, meet up with the group and proceed, en masse, to Hearst. No one offered to ride with him. He was told they would wait for him at the junction of the two trails.

To make a long story short, hubby never found the volunteer. He rode the L145 to meet the group. No group. After waiting a short while, he realized that the group had not stopped to wait for him. He proceeded west, seemingly now riding all the way to Hearst by himself. So much for a "group" ride. 

10 km further west on the L123, his sled died. No amount of troubleshooting helped. Survival gear (axe, saw, firestarter, etc.) had been left at home in lieu of sneakers and jeans to wear to supper. And of course, there was NO CELL COVERAGE. The clock was moving towards 4:00 pm.

After about 40 minutes, two riders appeared, heading east. A young couple, from Chelmsford, we believe they said. Hubby thinks their names were Barbara and Yvan.  Yvan gave my big bear of a husband a ride on the back of his sled to the junction of the L143, where hubby knew there was cell phone coverage. I got the call at home. Yvan was going to give him a ride a couple klicks further east to Cargill Road, where I would pick him up. These two angels stayed with my husband until I arrived. I shouted a quick "Thank you", they responded "No problem", got on their sleds and continued on their way. Thanks to them, my husband was home before the gang in Hearst even knew he was missing. 

Hubby found out that they were familiar with Ontario Conditions and knew Denis007, which is why I am reaching out to them to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Please message me and I guarantee there will be dinner and drinks on me next time you are in town. 

So many lessons learned from this but it had a happy ending, thanks to those two FANTASTIC Samaritans.

Thanks for indulging me in posting my story.

I love the "young couple" remark!  Made my day!  LOL  

We're heading to Kap Saturday for the night, no need for dinner or drinks but it would be nice to see you both and say hi!  I'll let you know where we end up, likely O'Briens.  Say hi to Hubby for us!

33 minutes ago, Evil said:

Yes that was us!  We always stop to help anybody that needs it!  It was a pleasure to chat with your hubby on the trail while waiting!  This forum makes it a very small world indeed!

Unfortunately, I had an wiring issue with my 1200 in Moonbeam and towed it from there to Timmins!  FUN!

Thanks for your time with the troubleshooting Denis! 

sled.jpg

Do you know what the issue was ,i have a 1200 too and had a loose ground by right footwell last month,cheers al

Last year I had the primary wiring harness changed. Wires were frayed. This time the sled died while I was driving. Wouldn't start. They say it's the kill switch and secondary accessory wiring harness. Being replaced Thursday. Hopefully that will be the end of my issues!!  

I'll try it out this weekend! 

Evil and hubby are good people.  Enjoyed some time with them last season in cochrane.  Good to hear everything worked out for all involved.  Hope the sled is fixed and good to go for you evil. May see you guys up there before the season is over. And to claire voyant, your story and what happened to you, makes me feel good to be part of such a great site. Glad it all worked out. And it definitely is a small world..

Whenever I see ANYBODY stopped trailside I slow down and give a thumb up, if i get one back i dont stop.

6 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Whenever I see ANYBODY stopped trailside I slow down and give a thumb up, if i get one back i dont stop.

That is what I tend to do too! 

Glad your hubby is safe.  It doesn't surprise me that Evil & Mr. Evil (will that stick?) would help.  Great people!

10 hours ago, Evil said:

I love the "young couple" remark!  Made my day!  LOL  

We're heading to Kap Saturday for the night, no need for dinner or drinks but it would be nice to see you both and say hi!  I'll let you know where we end up, likely O'Briens.  Say hi to Hubby for us!

Hello hello hello!!

So happy to connect! Would love to get together Saturday. Very sorry to hear about YOUR sled....

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. Hubby and I have been Trail Patrollers for over 15 years. Stopped to help many people. First time in all these years riding that something like this has happened. 

Told my husband to take the axe next time and leave the sneakers.....boot liners are acceptable footwear for dinner in Northern Ontario. 

Happy Trails, everyone. 

Archived