For people who have been to Quebec

Baylaker

Girlfriend and I are planning on riding Quebec at least once next season. Maybe more depending on what it’s like. I’ve heard Quebec is way better than Ontario.

my questions are 

-what is the trail system like? Signage, etc?

-are they wide and well groomed?

-how does the insurance work on our sleds? I heard it’s included when you purchase a trail pass...

-what are some good areas to ride/stay?

-and is there really that much more snow?

any info from anybody would be helpful! We would also like to start in Ontario, maybe ride for a day or 2 in Ontario and then ride into Quebec for another 1-2 days, so any suggestions on that would be good too! Thanks guys!

Trails amazing

Well groomed

Signage amazing

Online itg amazing

Some wide some not wide

Valdor area is great

Quebec city is great

Mount Laurier is great 

LA malbaie fantastic 

If you going to do the 2 day thing try and go on the free weekend.

Some others on here will be able to give you town to town specific mileage.  You'll get some great help.

Edited by gobills

26 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Girlfriend and I are planning on riding Quebec at least once next season. Maybe more depending on what it’s like. I’ve heard Quebec is way better than Ontario.

my questions are 

-what is the trail system like? Signage, etc?

-are they wide and well groomed?

-how does the insurance work on our sleds? I heard it’s included when you purchase a trail pass...

-what are some good areas to ride/stay?

-and is there really that much more snow?

any info from anybody would be helpful! We would also like to start in Ontario, maybe ride for a day or 2 in Ontario and then ride into Quebec for another 1-2 days, so any suggestions on that would be good too! Thanks guys!

Trail signage is MUCH more informative than Ontario's.  Things like dips and blind crests are marked, red chevrons denote gotcha corners (the more chevrons, (1 - 4) the bigger gotcha).

Insurance is your Ontario insurance.  The insurance purchased with the trail pass is liability insurance but applicable to Quebec sleds only.  Insurance portion can be refunded if you apply for it.

I rode in Quebec for the first time this year with my Wife. 

Signage was not great where we were....

Trails are a nice mix of fast and scenic

Hospitality is awesome.

I think it was a low snow year for where we were, but still enough.

We did day rides from La Cabanon in St Zenon. 

I don't think the insurance matters if you just buy a day to day permit. 

We will go back for sure, in fact we talked about only getting Quebec permits next year and just doing a couple of week long trips.

• Like 1

Just got back from 6 days in Gaspe. I have to say it is the best area to sled in. Signage on the trail is great, but sometimes confusing as to where you really are. Their app is great. Make sure you get the app, not the web site, as the app allows you to pinpoint your actual location on the trails.

Grooming this year in the Gaspe was a little less then stellar, not sure why. Don't get me wrong trial conditions were still great.

I have always bought their full season permit early to get the discount. You can then get the insurance portion back, somewhere around $40-50, net $240-250.

As for snow volume...we stop on one of the interior trails in Gaspe and were 4ft above the guard rail. Off trail in certain approved areas had 6-8ft of snow.

5a93335862a4a_IMG_20180223_13330416576.thumb.jpg.da56ce4201ef59f67ad98cc5ca7a87b6.jpg

• Like 2

I've only ridden in Quebec once, that was back in '08. We rode for a day & a half entering @ Notre-Dame-du-Nord & re-entering Ontario @ La Reine (A105Q). Gassed up in Rouyn-Noranda & stayed overnight in Amos.

Personally we didn't find the trails any better than what we'd find in TATA & the Corridor. There seemed to be more signage in some areas than what you would find in Ontario, but trying to get TQ83 from Ontario was not very well marked. I would've thought that seeing this was a major entry point the signage would be better. Not even 10 minutes into the province & we're looking @ the map, looking @ cardboard & crayon signs, scratching our helmets.

Saying that where most of those that do ride in PQ, the conditions look much better than what we encountered. Plus I haven't heard of any folks having difficulties navigating.

Only in Quebec once this year but our group did find signage a lil lacking as compared to what we normally find. Even with that, hard to discount the Quebec experience for quality n quantity of trails. Also like there always seems to be a place along the way to fuel up or stop for a meal, they are just plain geared towards sledding in a way Ontario just isn't (not saying I don't appreciate Ontario).

5 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Only in Quebec once this year but our group did find signage a lil lacking as compared to what we normally find. Even with that, hard to discount the Quebec experience for quality n quantity of trails. Also like there always seems to be a place along the way to fuel up or stop for a meal, they are just plain geared towards sledding in a way Ontario just isn't (not saying I don't appreciate Ontario).

X2 I will give them that in spades! Look @ the pics of the motels you guys post. Nice looking lodgings out in the middle of nowhere. Completely different mindset.

• Like 1

We did Saint Michel Des Saints to La Tuque this year.  First trip into Quebec of any real significance.  I found the signage comparable to the Muskokas in Ontario in the Saint Michel Des Saints area.  Not bad, but not great.  Over in the Manawin, La Tuque and Shawinigan areas signage was stellar.  Not a chance you could get lost.  Grooming was very good in all areas we rode.  Didn't find a trail that hadn't seen a groomer within the last 72 hours.  Many were freshly groomed.  Of 700 km might have rode 20 km total that I would consider rough and the next day that section had been re-groomed.  Snow coverage was good especially compared to what was at home in mid January this year.  Accommodations were great and everything was trail accessible.   Permits for three days cost a bit, but I felt we got our money's worth.  I think the big difference / advantage Quebec has is their snow belt is near the major population centres in the province.  It means more people can ride more often and associate value with their permits.  The trail system was busy (mid week and weekend), but not so busy that the trails were screwed.  Theft is a concern.   Go buy a bike lock and lock your sleds together.  Definitely recommend going.  I will be back to Quebec for sure for future trips.   Lots if areas to explore.  Had a blast!!!  I recommend you go try it.  Language was never an issue.  Be polite and you'll find a way to get what you want.  Everyone we met was helpful.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Micar said:

I rode in Quebec for the first time this year with my Wife. 

Signage was not great where we were....

Trails are a nice mix of fast and scenic

Hospitality is awesome.

I think it was a low snow year for where we were, but still enough.

We did day rides from La Cabanon in St Zenon. 

I don't think the insurance matters if you just buy a day to day permit. 

We will go back for sure, in fact we talked about only getting Quebec permits next year and just doing a couple of week long trips.

My wife and I also went for the first time over Christmas and stayed at La Cabanon. Agree Micar on all he said and will be going back again. 

Can’t beat Quebec trails . Think of it this way . You can get to a great resort in 6-7 hours with great riding in the mountains . Or you can go 8 hours to boring cochrane and ride flat all day with a wide open throttle 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Trail signage is MUCH more informative than Ontario's.  Things like dips and blind crests are marked, red chevrons denote gotcha corners (the more chevrons, (1 - 4) the bigger gotcha).

Insurance is your Ontario insurance.  The insurance purchased with the trail pass is liability insurance but applicable to Quebec sleds only.  Insurance portion can be refunded if you apply for it.

Just to clarify...what SJ said in bold above, about refunds of insurance portion (for out-of province sleds) is true, but only if you buy a full-season permit.

X 2 on SJ's comments above about way better caution/warning signage on Quebec trails...but to be fair, Quebec trails are operated in quite a different legal/liability context.

2 hours ago, DOM said:

Can’t beat Quebec trails . Think of it this way . You can get to a great resort in 6-7 hours with great riding in the mountains . Or you can go 8 hours to boring cochrane and ride flat all day with a wide open throttle 

I am starting to agree with this statement.   I was in Quebec in early Feb for 6 days of riding and it was unbelievable.   Trail conditions, signage and the lodges/inns we stayed at were phenomenal.   I just went to Cochrane on the weekend and yes we way more miles on per day, but blasting down hydro lines at 80mph all day starts to get old.   We rode every day in Quebec from 10am-5pm and were averaging 240kms per day and we ride faster than avg.   

Its to the point that I am seriously considering buying a quebec permit and just planning 2 - 5 day trips next winter not even riding in Ontario unless I can leave from my back door.   

• Like 1

Have been sledding in Quebec numerous times over the last 15-20 years, usually for a week of saddle-bagging.  Can't beat the experience...trails are typically awesome, with (usually) good to excellent directional signage, excellent relais (often a clubhouse) for food and sometimes fuel, and pretty regular grooming (with the odd exception after a busy weekend.).  Aside from all of that, the whole cultural experience is a real treat, the cuisine is often first-rate (even in relatively isolated or small places), and as others have said, language is never an issue, especially if you make even just a little effort to use your basic (and in my case, very rusty) high-school French.  Particularly in the more remote areas like Gaspe, the locals really appreciate your tourism dollars, and always seem to be happy to see you, even if you can only parle un peu de francais.  

Edited by irREVerent

22 hours ago, Yamatario said:

Just got back from 6 days in Gaspe. I have to say it is the best area to sled in. Signage on the trail is great, but sometimes confusing as to where you really are. Their app is great. Make sure you get the app, not the web site, as the app allows you to pinpoint your actual location on the trails.

Grooming this year in the Gaspe was a little less then stellar, not sure why. Don't get me wrong trial conditions were still great.

I have always bought their full season permit early to get the discount. You can then get the insurance portion back, somewhere around $40-50, net $240-250.

As for snow volume...we stop on one of the interior trails in Gaspe and were 4ft above the guard rail. Off trail in certain approved areas had 6-8ft of snow.

5a93335862a4a_IMG_20180223_13330416576.thumb.jpg.da56ce4201ef59f67ad98cc5ca7a87b6.jpg

Have been to Gaspe twice...it's definitely a bucket-list sledding destination.  Between the trails, the spectacular scenery, and the people, I would characterize it as a "life experience".

Great pic above, Yamatario...I know exactly where that was taken and have a similar pic...a beautiful stretch of trail.

I would love to try Quebec.  Any suggestions for a resort that could offer two one day loops in the 200 to 300 mile range.  preferably 5-6 hours from Orillia area. 

Trails are very nice

They too also see the effects of the warmer weather, so conditions are not always perfect depending on locations

As noted, not all wide highways, great mixture of everything

Signage is good in some spots not so great in others, as far as directions & the trail you are on, the warnings about corners or hills ahead is a bit overdone IMO

The hospitality is likely the best part, it is what they do, just call to request some literature from the tourism group and look at the stuff they send you. Pull into just about any town and people will open their door to help you, especially if you pull into a town that is normally closed to tourist until Thurs to Sun when the  folks arrive in greater numbers, people open the doors and do what ever they can to accommodate you...like the resort owner calling the local grocery store because everything is closed, order a pizza and they deliver to us, which they normally do not do delivery, and the person delivering refuses to take anything extra for it.

But the best, best part is, you can buy beer from anywhere !!!

Edited by stoney

40 minutes ago, stoney said:

Trails are very nice

They too also see the effects of the warmer weather, so conditions are not always perfect depending on locations

As noted, not all wide highways, great mixture of everything

Signage is good in some spots not so great in others, as far as directions & the trail you are on, the warnings about corners or hills ahead is a bit overdone IMO

The hospitality is likely the best part, it is what they do, just call to request some literature from the tourism group and look at the stuff they send you. Pull into just about any town and people will open their door to help you, especially if you pull into a town that is normally closed to tourist until Thurs to Sun when the  folks arrive in greater numbers, people open the doors and do what ever they can to accommodate you...like the resort owner calling the local grocery store because everything is closed, order a pizza and they deliver to us, which they normally do not do delivery, and the person delivering refuses to take anything extra for it.

But the best, best part is, you can buy beer from anywhere !!!

Doesn't that lead to underage drinking? (according to Glen from the Beer Store)

:poke2:

X2 on what Stoney said about hospitality.The first time there was in 1977 on a 340 Ski Doo with a group from Port Sydney. They rode from Huntsville , toured Quebec for a week and then onto the Bombardier factory.  We just rode with them for the week and had a fantastic time on the 340's. I think someone had huge 440 Yamaha.

RW

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Doesn't that lead to underage drinking? (according to Glen from the Beer Store)

:poke2:

I am sure there is some stat out there that would suggest that....likely endorsed by the Ontario government....:coffeenose:

When we did Ontario trips, one of the things on our minds was usually getting to our destination in time to be able to still grab some beer from the local liquor store so we could have a few laughs and wobbly pops back at the rooms.

In QC, that does not matter, just stop into the closest corner store and pick up a case.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, stoney said:

I am sure there is some stat out there that would suggest that....likely endorsed by the Ontario government....:coffeenose:

When we did Ontario trips, one of the things on our minds was usually getting to our destination in time to be able to still grab some beer from the local liquor store so we could have a few laughs and wobbly pops back at the rooms.

In QC, that does not matter, just stop into the closest corner store and pick up a case.  

LOL on the 1st paragraph.

X2 on trying to get to the beer/liquor store before closing (if the store is open). On the former I had quite a ride in a half ton getting from the gas station to LCBO in M'wadge 1 trip. On the latter, we had to arrange a trip a certain way because the LCBO in Hornepayne was closed on our original itinerary.

Now for some PQ content ;) on a weekend to the Eganville races, we stayed in Pembroke. A co-worker upon hearing this asked me if I could pick up a 6 pack of Laurentide. After dinner 3 of us crossed over to the island & found a place that sold biere. It was a convenience (depannier?) that was attached to a bar. I asked for a 6 pack & a 2-4 for me. The lady disappeared and came back w/ a plain 'bar' case of 24 & a brown paper bag w/ 6 bottles.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎26 at 3:05 PM, Proxrider said:

I would love to try Quebec.  Any suggestions for a resort that could offer two one day loops in the 200 to 300 mile range.  preferably 5-6 hours from Orillia area. 

Been going to the Rouyn Noranda area the last few years and basing from there. Many good day loops to be had. The variety, condition of trails, signage and access to facilities leave Ontario wanting. Its like going scuba diving in lake Muskoka and then going to the Caribbean.

MS

I have ridding a lot of norther Ontario and a few regions in Quebec including Gaspe twice.  Gaspe is a definite "Must do" or "Bucket List" trip.  The scenery is the best I have experienced sledding. 

Trail grooming is typically good.  

In all my trips, I would say there is less traffic in Quebec

I typically like their signage better than our "Slow" and arrows.  Sled Junk's description was bang on.

Hospitality is great.

If you have never gone, go and I guarantee you will be back.

This year, I ended up riding half my season's mileage in Quebec and half in Ontario.

Edited by 14 snow
  • Like 1

Looks like we’re planning a couple trips in Quebec for next year! Thanks for all the advice guys, it is much appreciated!

heading there in a week and a half. Using their interactive map to plan loops and found it to be very easy to use. Their fuel locations aren't all there much like the OFSC map, but I was able find what I needed. Hopefully the OFSC map is updated again to closly match what they have in Quebec.