Sudbury was mint!

Baylaker

Sooo, the girlfriend and I left Friday morning and with everything but the kitchen sink! Brought our own coffee maker, sheets, pillows etc. It rained the whole way up to sudbury. When we got to valley inn around 3pm we unloaded and hit the trails. Ended up putting on 88kms on a small southern loop listed as yellow on the map. It was pretty thin in places and hard packed everywhere until we got further away from the motel. Trails were flat and awesome! Got home around 7:30-8 in the dark. The girlfriend likes night rides so that turned out good! The girlfriend isn’t a morning person so when I told her she had to get up at 6am and that we needed to be on the trails for 7-7:30am...she grumbled a bit! Lol.

so we hit the trails 7:20am Saturday morning and I swear we were the only ones on them for the first 3hrs or so. Everyone was still sleeping at the valley inn and the place was full! Anyways, we decided to do the moose loop counter clockwise and stopped at windy lake resort for 11:30am. Fueled up and got some brunch. We were the only ones there! 

When we left, I let the girlfriend drive my new viper and I got to have a bit of fun (if that’s what you want to call it) on some old iron. I remembered quickly why I got rid of my srx and we’ll be doing the same with this 02 viper! She fell in love with mine and  wants a new/used one for next year...i told her I’ll put the proceeds from the 02 towards any newer sled that she wants but she has to pony up the rest!

Trails were just starting to get choppy after windy lake as we did end up passing a few sledders but still were in great shape! I hit a few bumps on the old viper and felt it pretty good! She asks me, did ya feel that one? I told her not to be a smarta**....I asked her and she said nope...needless to say I never got my sled back for the rest of the day...we got back to the valley inn around 2:30 and decided to just pack it in for the weekend as they were calling for a couple mm of freezing rain and 5-10mm of rain thismorning and we’re not riding in that crap if we don’t have too. So we loaded the truck and left for home. Put on a little over 300kms and the trails were mint! Table top conditions again! Can’t thank the local Sudbury clubs enough for their hard work leading up to the weekend and making sure trails were ready to go! Great job! 

Now, here’s what pissed us both off while on our way back from windy lake...we both wear mirrors on our gloves and have the scala smartpack duo communicators because I feel it’s a safer way of riding. We stay on our side of the trails and drive respectively like most guys and gals on this site. So we’re just coming out of a right hand turn (girlfriend just checked behind her and nobody was there) and she tells me there’s a guy behind me, so I look back then slow down and wave him through. As I continue riding waiting for him to pass respectfully...I see him right beside me out of my peripheral...I look over, he points back at my girlfriend and then to the mirror on his glove...I just looked at him and waved him on which probably pissed him off more as he sped away sideways trying to roost me all while shaking his head and almost loosing control and tipping it in the process! She then tells me that when this guy passed her coming out of the corner, he only had one hand on the bars waving at her (probably trying to tell her to use her mirrors) and she told me the same exact thing..that the guy almost tipped it and was up on one ski! Now, try to picture all that in your head...I laughed when she told me that because I just have a creative mind and sometimes I can picture things totally different from what actually happened. But it was quite clear that this guy was angry and probably hungover, and just thinks he owns the trails and that people like us shouldn’t be on them! The girlfriend was pissed!!! I was a little taken back by it all because that’s never happened to me before ever! I’ve also never acted like that towards another sledder either, we always pass respectively, slow and with a wave...

Oh well, I guess it’s to be expected these days. Idiots are everywhere! Despite the rain & the angry guy on the 1200 doo, we had a great time and on some really nice trails!

3F16896A-41DA-4CC4-83BE-713027383A6D.thumb.jpeg.aaec1ba4c5acf3da81d63f776224e088.jpeg

7DF0ECC0-0EEF-4951-93A4-D1B25646209B.jpeg

7C1A2CA3-A134-44FD-9B3E-E9E5734FE777.jpeg

7FA1FB63-F329-4CA2-8175-119166D68CA9.jpeg

BA94E001-0A8A-4230-BFA2-D61749478594.jpeg

96ABCC58-FDE5-4AD1-B4D0-91AFF0F5000F.jpeg

540384FC-043B-4E19-AFD5-857F6C849F7B.jpeg

1329927A-E29D-43D6-9B69-466FA4D0ED87.jpeg

Fridays ride..

Saturday ride...

62F52182-34A7-430A-9F57-6F9F170F2E3D.jpeg

7F246FF7-092F-4BE9-8AD9-08CAFF7B714E.jpeg

06A39734-645D-4461-8858-F501CA6A6744.jpeg

066C2A8B-04DF-48DB-9F5B-C12EA3371D91.jpeg

0D22D7E5-15E0-467F-BBD2-9E5DBA6CDB88.jpeg

E98A0CDE-0BA9-45F1-ABC6-CF8D31C89721.jpeg

E93BB73F-D647-489D-83BC-7828E7316086.jpeg

Looks good Baylaker..

we all run into guys like that and we all know what we would like to do if we would ever encounter them at at stop lol.. I learned to let it go and enjoy the ride... 

considering the age of the sx viper still looks new..

Excellent report - my first time in that area last weekend and won't be the last. Moose Loop has become one of my favourite trails. BTW - lots of room for your stuff at Windy Lake Motel (room 10) if you are inclined to stay there next time - great trail supporter and sponsors a lot of local events. You didn't mention a folding table or microwave (sale price walmart $47)  in your list of travel stuff, but did come in handy.....

pic02.thumb.JPG.6877207bd85cb84a707e57023c4aa8b2.JPG

Tragedy about the weather.

If that happened to me and the guys, it may have had a different ending...

we did just that, we stopped, we vented to eachother, carried on and just enjoyed the ride lol

Thanks for post    Looks good for sure     Sleds and conditions   We are heading up Mon early for a few days so hoping for the best  Rain doesn't look as bad as earlier   Even flurries now  maybe .  Looking forward to ride the loops too.

That was our room, very clean and plenty of room for 2. Bathroom was clean as well. Good rates too.

F691FB06-75F6-484E-B57B-AEF778369BE5.jpeg

710AE16B-FE08-4CF3-8FBE-98DB8B6CC23D.jpeg

6 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Looks good for sure     Sleds and conditions   We are heading up Mon early for a few days so hoping for the best  Rain doesn't look as bad as earlier   Even flurries now  maybe .  Looking forward to ride the loops too.

I hope the rain holds off for you guys. But like soupkids said in his thread, you need scratchers 100%. Studs will help, but not needed...I did just fine without them...but if they don’t get any new snow it could be extremely icey...

13 minutes ago, slomo said:

Excellent report - my first time in that area last weekend and won't be the last. Moose Loop has become one of my favourite trails. BTW - lots of room for your stuff at Windy Lake Motel (room 10) if you are inclined to stay there next time - great trail supporter and sponsors a lot of local events. You didn't mention a folding table or microwave (sale price walmart $47)  in your list of travel stuff, but did come in handy.....

pic02.thumb.JPG.6877207bd85cb84a707e57023c4aa8b2.JPG

Tragedy about the weather.

We stayed in 116. The moose loop is great...so is the wolf loop

18 minutes ago, Fabio said:

Looks good Baylaker..

we all run into guys like that and we all know what we would like to do if we would ever encounter them at at stop lol.. I learned to let it go and enjoy the ride... 

considering the age of the sx viper still looks new..

The viper is very clean and pulls nicely! Lol

Just doesn’t have the ride quality...

We are studded but no scratchers   I am hoping with the milder temps the trails will loosen up   Royal is just down the road so may need to visit them LOL   We are definetly going to be taking it easy   Younger daughter is with us

16 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

If that happened to me and the guys, it may have had a different ending...

we did just that, we stopped, we vented to eachother, carried on and just enjoyed the ride lol

Happens to me and my dad every time we ride. I check my mirror's constantly, but can't be looking every where at once either. Glad your ending came out ok and always some smart passing yeah and waving a fist at yeah. Usually they stop up trail for a smoke break and take up most of the trail in process. Whole thing repeats, sometimes. 

11 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

The viper is very clean and pulls nicely! Lol

Just doesn’t have the ride quality...

If you can find a used zx2 skid it is a night and day difference in ride. I loved that skid in my viper. I had exact same sled and sold it with skid in it. Had almost 18,000 km's on clock, no issues. 

18 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Happens to me and my dad every time we ride. I check my mirror's constantly, but can't be looking every where at once either. Glad your ending came out ok and always some smart passing yeah and waving a fist at yeah. Usually they stop up trail for a smoke break and take up most of the trail in process. Whole thing repeats, sometimes. 

We will be getting mirrors for the windshields next year, that way we can just glance down quick anytime we want without having to constantly take our hands off the bars. 

That 02 has 22,000kms on it. 

6 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

We will be getting mirrors for the windshields next year, that way we can just glance down quick anytime we want without having to constantly take our hands off the bars. 

That 02 has 22,000kms on it. 

Time for a newer one. Maybe a used skidoo 900 or an etec would be a good fit for lighter weight and fuel economy. 

1 hour ago, Baylaker said:

Sooo, the girlfriend and I left Friday morning and with everything but the kitchen sink! Brought our own coffee maker, sheets, pillows etc. It rained the whole way up to sudbury. When we got to valley inn around 3pm we unloaded and hit the trails. Ended up putting on 88kms on a small southern loop listed as yellow on the map. It was pretty thin in places and hard packed everywhere until we got further away from the motel. Trails were flat and awesome! Got home around 7:30-8 in the dark. The girlfriend likes night rides so that turned out good! The girlfriend isn’t a morning person so when I told her she had to get up at 6am and that we needed to be on the trails for 7-7:30am...she grumbled a bit! Lol.

so we hit the trails 7:20am Saturday morning and I swear we were the only ones on them for the first 3hrs or so. Everyone was still sleeping at the valley inn and the place was full! Anyways, we decided to do the moose loop counter clockwise and stopped at windy lake resort for 11:30am. Fueled up and got some brunch. We were the only ones there! 

When we left, I let the girlfriend drive my new viper and I got to have a bit of fun (if that’s what you want to call it) on some old iron. I remembered quickly why I got rid of my srx and we’ll be doing the same with this 02 viper! She fell in love with mine and  wants a new/used one for next year...i told her I’ll put the proceeds from the 02 towards any newer sled that she wants but she has to pony up the rest!

Trails were just starting to get choppy after windy lake as we did end up passing a few sledders but still were in great shape! I hit a few bumps on the old viper and felt it pretty good! She asks me, did ya feel that one? I told her not to be a smarta**....I asked her and she said nope...needless to say I never got my sled back for the rest of the day...we got back to the valley inn around 2:30 and decided to just pack it in for the weekend as they were calling for a couple mm of freezing rain and 5-10mm of rain thismorning and we’re not riding in that crap if we don’t have too. So we loaded the truck and left for home. Put on a little over 300kms and the trails were mint! Table top conditions again! Can’t thank the local Sudbury clubs enough for their hard work leading up to the weekend and making sure trails were ready to go! Great job! 

Now, here’s what pissed us both off while on our way back from windy lake...we both wear mirrors on our gloves and have the scala smartpack duo communicators because I feel it’s a safer way of riding. We stay on our side of the trails and drive respectively like most guys and gals on this site. So we’re just coming out of a right hand turn (girlfriend just checked behind her and nobody was there) and she tells me there’s a guy behind me, so I look back then slow down and wave him through. As I continue riding waiting for him to pass respectfully...I see him right beside me out of my peripheral...I look over, he points back at my girlfriend and then to the mirror on his glove...I just looked at him and waved him on which probably pissed him off more as he sped away sideways trying to roost me all while shaking his head and almost loosing control and tipping it in the process! She then tells me that when this guy passed her coming out of the corner, he only had one hand on the bars waving at her (probably trying to tell her to use her mirrors) and she told me the same exact thing..that the guy almost tipped it and was up on one ski! Now, try to picture all that in your head...I laughed when she told me that because I just have a creative mind and sometimes I can picture things totally different from what actually happened. But it was quite clear that this guy was angry and probably hungover, and just thinks he owns the trails and that people like us shouldn’t be on them! The girlfriend was pissed!!! I was a little taken back by it all because that’s never happened to me before ever! I’ve also never acted like that towards another sledder either, we always pass respectively, slow and with a wave...

Oh well, I guess it’s to be expected these days. Idiots are everywhere! Despite the rain & the angry guy on the 1200 doo, we had a great time and on some really nice trails!

Sounds like you're having a great time. Be careful... girlfriends have a habit of becoming wives at some point and if you think they will change later.... they won't. My wife isn't a morning person either. She used to be up and into work for 7:00 so I always thought she could become a morning person. Never did happen. Weekends she liked to make up for not being able to sleep in on weekdays and slept so much later. Regardless she's a keeper.

It sounds like you may have a keeper if she is willing to get up and go riding with you.

8 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Time for a newer one. Maybe a used skidoo 900 or an etec would be a good fit for lighter weight and fuel economy. 

She hates skidoo! Yamaha girl...

9 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Sounds like you're having a great time. Be careful... girlfriends have a habit of becoming wives at some point and if you think they will change later.... they won't. My wife isn't a morning person either. She used to be up and into work for 7:00 so I always thought she could become a morning person. Never did happen. Weekends she liked to make up for not being able to sleep in on weekdays and slept so much later. Regardless she's a keeper.

It sounds like you may have a keeper if she is willing to get up and go riding with you.

She’s definitely getting a ring! I don’t expect anyone to change who they are. I just remind her of all the benefits of getting up early and hitting the trails and she’s good to go!

25 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

She’s definitely getting a ring! I don’t expect anyone to change who they are. I just remind her of all the benefits of getting up early and hitting the trails and she’s good to go!

One practice that will serve you well down the road. When you wake up in the morning the first thing you do is say. I'm sorry. Then she asks what for... you reply... all the things I'm going to do wrong today but haven't done yet.

It will save time. :D

Next time, check your mirrors and get out of my way!  Just kidding.  It wasn't me behind you.  :D.   I do get frustrated though when sledders that ride slow never check their mirrors and your stuck behind them for several miles, especially when they have the large touring mirrors.  

Glad to hear that you had a great ride and that conditions are still pretty good up there.  I might have to make a trek up that way in the near future.

The ones that annoy me are those that are in such a hurry that they expect you to pull essentially off the trail and come to a complete stop so they can rip by you on a narrow stretch of the trail. We check the mirrors regularly and will slow down and pull to snug to the right as soon as there is a safe opportunity to pass but I shouldn't have to come to a complete stop for some speed deamon.

This kind seems to always have a loud exhaust and spin for miles on end .... one such dickwad passed us yesterday 2 minutes out from Kap.... he was sitting there trailside frigging around with his phone when we rode past him.

Great report and glad you had a great time.  Sorry about the asshat, but unfortunately, they are part of life.

Denis, I am surprised one of the volunteers didn't tune him up!

11 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Great report and glad you had a great time.  Sorry about the asshat, but unfortunately, they are part of life.

Denis, I am surprised one of the volunteers didn't tune him up!

The devil in me would love to see the blade on the front of a groomer push one of these idiots into the bush when they come across them taking up the trail they were in such a hurry to pass everyone on.

Archived