Wawa or Cochrane

Basketcase

Planning on a couple days away next weekend. Thursday to Sunday. Both are the same distance from where we live. Looking for some nice trails and a bit of deep stuff to play off trail a little. 

Anyone have any opinions on which will be better conditions for next weekend for 3 days of riding? Any suggestions on where to go once were there are welcome too!

Thanks

Same distance I’d go Wawa. Drop in searchmont and ride north. Lots of places to play from search thru halfway up to Wawa. East of half way over to Chapleau also cool w lots of area to explore. Good luck. 

Make sure to stay at the Magpie in Dubreuilville and Valentines bed and breakfast in Chapleau there my two favourite places to stay in  northern Ontario 

over a foot of fresh since last sunday, another 6-8" forecasted tonight/tomorrow.... warm up coming for Tuesday, weds, thurs. Ski

8 hours ago, 1049 said:

Make sure to stay at the Magpie in Dubreuilville and Valentines bed and breakfast in Chapleau there my two favourite places to stay in  northern Ontario 

Hey 1049, great timing. I was just thinking of an  alternative to Aux Trois Moulins for a night or two this week coming. You aren't going to be in the area, are you? Have you been east yet?

Rick

9 hours ago, J Feces said:

Same distance I’d go Wawa. Drop in searchmont and ride north. Lots of places to play from search thru halfway up to Wawa. East of half way over to Chapleau also cool w lots of area to explore. Good luck. 

This right here.. Better chances of finding virgin snow if that's what you are looking.

Cochrane does a fine job promoting itself and sees the traffic to prove it. 

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Hey 1049, great timing. I was just thinking of an  alternative to Aux Trois Moulins for a night or two this week coming. You aren't going to be in the area, are you? Have you been east yet?

Rick

I' will be in Dubreuilville on the 5th and Chapleau on the 8th be back in Dubreuilville on the 15-19 haven't rode in 3 weeks getting a little  anxious 

If the drive was the same I would go to Wawa.  I have a feeling Cochrane and area is going to be a gong show for the rest of this season.   I want to get away once more and even though Wawa is an hour longer drive I think I will head that way in March.   

10 hours ago, 1049 said:

X2 on Valentines. We had sled issues in Missinabie & didn't roll into the B & B until 10:30 PM. It wasn't an issue w/ them :-)

21 minutes ago, revrnd said:

X2 on Valentines. We had sled issues in Missinabie & didn't roll into the B & B until 10:30 PM. It wasn't an issue w/ them :-)

Ross is a great guy always try to stay there when Im up there

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

over a foot of fresh since last sunday, another 6-8" forecasted tonight/tomorrow.... warm up coming for Tuesday, weds, thurs. Ski

Is this in wawa?

12 minutes ago, Basketcase said:

Is this in wawa?

Skidooboy has a house in Dubreuilville and is up there now.  

But ya the snow in Wawa is great for off trail now.  Was just there this past weekend.  Check out Top Secret Boondocking on Facebook to see some pictures.  

From some comments I have heard and my experiences riding in the areas the trails in Cochrane can be a little better, (wider and better signage,) with more frequent grooming but much busier.  The off trail options in the Wawa area are more varied.  Having said that I have not risen the trails south of Wawa (searchmont north)  in a few years and have been hearing good comments about them .  

5 hours ago, scottyr said:

Cochrane and area is going to be a gong show for the rest of this season. 

Probably nailed it right there. With the closed C trail Cochrane is getting more and more traffic as anyone heading West has to go through Cochrane. "A" trail is groomed every night but it's trashed by suppertime. He needs another operator big time. 

we ride the wawa, dubreuilville, hornepayne, white river area. lots of snow, and snowing hard right now as I type but, for offtrail, powder powder... you better get here fast... or the warm up will set the snow up, and you will lose the free flowing soft landing powder by the end of the week... unless more falls after the warm up, the sunny and warm forecasted will hurt the powder seekers. hero or superman snow might let you ride almost anywhere off trail but, for the freeriding purists, it is not as fun as powder riding. 

for the trail only guys/gals... the trails, will last through april, unless we have a massive prolonged warm up and no fresh snow to groom..

we will be back up march 9-18th. Ski

In Cochrane right now.  Has warmed up some but lots of fresh snow this morning and lots of existing snow.  Grooming was ok south of Cochrane but it's currently pretty bad on A west of Cochrane.  Hopefully, the are grooming tonight.

Weather advisory tonight for the area north of the Soo to Montreal River. Up to 10 cms of new snow

4 hours ago, chandos_jon said:

In Cochrane right now.  Has warmed up some but lots of fresh snow this morning and lots of existing snow.  Grooming was ok south of Cochrane but it's currently pretty bad on A west of Cochrane.  Hopefully, the are grooming tonight.

We came from Kapuskasing to Timmins this morning   Kap to Smooth Rock was good.  SR to Cochrane was bad! Lots of traffic this weekend.  Towing a sled from Moonbeam to Cochrane in the ruts, not so fun!  Cochrane to Timmins was good! 

Thanks for the replies! Think we're going to try Wawa for the first time. Hopefully theres vacant rooms for fri and sat nights.

And hope the snow stays fluffy!

.Just a heads up this coming weekend (March 2-4th) is the annual ice fishing derby in Wawa.  Rooms will be a bit scarce and things will be busy.  They normally sell out the 1400 entries for the derby.  

don't just show up in wawa this weekend with no reservations, you may find yourself sleeping in the truck. as matt stated above, BIG WEEKEND IN WAWA. rooms may be sold out. check with the magpie relais in dubreuilville, or halfway haven, or you may have to go to white river, or sleep in the truck/trailer. good luck, Ski

Has anyone here ever rode over by ON-QC border? Crossing by Rolphston into the Swisha area? My BIL just told me they had 4' of powder last weekend and said it was awesome. Ive only ever heard good things about that area before.

Its also half the distance to Wawa 

Archived