Elliot Lake

tricky

Does anyone know why Elliot Lake trails are 'yellow' when east and west of them is 'green'? Is this just the difference in club reporting to the district? I understand that some clubs don't like to overstate their conditions and some won't understate. Would like to stage from Dunlop Lake on Monday to head north, but it is getting warm thru the week.

Have been there a week ago trail was perfect 

3 hours ago, andreyboater said:

Have been there a week ago trail was perfect 

They do a great job no doubt. Snow always seems to be north of the D trail last number of years. Big difference by riding club trails just north of highway 17 that run in same direction as D trail. 

Call Trish at Dunlop lake lodge and see what conditions are like. Can drop at boat ramp dry dock there and park for a few days and head north on f trail. Usually Great spot to start and they get more snow then town normally. 

Thanks for all the responses. My experience with Dunlop Lake Lodge, and even Elliot Lake, is usually they have much better conditions than Spanish and Espanola. That is why I posed the question in the first place. BTW, I did talk to Becca at DLL and she said we are good to go. I see all of the North Bay trails are closed. Are they all worse than Bonfield and Mattawa, or is it just different reporting. If OFSC is going to insist that conditions on the ITG are the be-all and end-all, then there has to bean accurate standard across the system. I don't want to create more work for clubs and districts, but with increasingly short seasons, the ITG needs to be accurate and updated daily. Permit holders are travelling increased distances, sometimes only to find that they have booked into a 'no snow' zone. That is part of what makes this forum so valuable.

Thanks again guys.

17 minutes ago, tricky said:

Thanks for all the responses. My experience with Dunlop Lake Lodge, and even Elliot Lake, is usually they have much better conditions than Spanish and Espanola. That is why I posed the question in the first place. BTW, I did talk to Becca at DLL and she said we are good to go. I see all of the North Bay trails are closed. Are they all worse than Bonfield and Mattawa, or is it just different reporting. If OFSC is going to insist that conditions on the ITG are the be-all and end-all, then there has to bean accurate standard across the system. I don't want to create more work for clubs and districts, but with increasingly short seasons, the ITG needs to be accurate and updated daily. Permit holders are travelling increased distances, sometimes only to find that they have booked into a 'no snow' zone. That is part of what makes this forum so valuable.

Thanks again guys.

Totally agree with you.  Real world conditions from all different areas.  Rather than the BS answer some clubs give you  by Facebook "please refer to the ITG for legal reasons" 

32 minutes ago, gobills said:

Totally agree with you.  Real world conditions from all different areas.  Rather than the BS answer some clubs give you  by Facebook "please refer to the ITG for legal reasons" 

It's only a BS answer until you are the volunteer named in a lawsuit. 

North Bay trails are awful should be closed as they are . Rode in from Quebec yesterday to get back to the truck  .

10 minutes ago, gobills said:

No i like honesty just look at polar bear riders Facebook page and a few others out there open and free  communication not locked down like fort knox like others.

Yeah I know, but that's the risk they are willing to take. It also sets a presidence good or bad.. As a rider all I want is the best info I can get to ride the best trails but as a volunteer all I want to do is back away from this sue happy society or just not volunteer...

North Bay got hit a bit harder with the warm up, they were out trying to groom but the magic just wasn't there for them like it was for Bonfield and Mattawa clubs. The reality what you see on the ITG is accurate...

Hi Tricky,

RE:  Elliot Lake

We were at Dunlop Lake Lodge today.  Lack and snow is the issue.  The club does a tremendous job, however, there is limited snow to work with. With the upcoming anticipated warm-spelll, you may want to contact the lodge or Elliot Lake Snowbirds for conditions.

As you go further west from Dunlop Lake, the snow level increases.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Yukon i see where your coming from and appreciate all you do,  but i am not bashing any volunteer at all.  Im just stating that some clubs have way better communication and others not so much.  This forum has a wealth of knowledge and info. that we can all use that is sometimes quicker and more accurate than the ITG.  

IMO the ITG is great but far from ideal, you can have green trails in 2 or 3 different clubs and one should be closed compared to the other clubs green trail.

3 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Hi Tricky,

RE:  Elliot Lake

We were at Dunlop Lake Lodge today.  Lack and snow is the issue.  The club does a tremendous job, however, there is limited snow to work with. With the upcoming anticipated warm-spelll, you may want to contact the lodge or Elliot Lake Snowbirds for conditions.

As you go further west from Dunlop Lake, the snow level increases.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Thanks Dan. This really helps! I will ride almost anything and have the worn thru skis and busted bones to prove it. And I love DLL, so I am inclined to head there, but I am taking someone who has never sledded in District 13, and is incredibly meticulous with his sled. He only rides Quebec and the N Corridor to avoid less than ideal conditions. I don't want him hating the trip because of my lodging preferences. If driving further to SSM or Searchmont will give him a better riding experience then that is what we will do. Your report Dan, leads me in that direction. The way the weather has been, the forecast 3 and 4 degree celsius temps for this week could end up being much higher and where the snow is already thin, it could be sh^t by mid week. I took two guys into this same area a year ago, and they had to ride more washouts and bare roads than they had experienced in their long sledding experience. I am not anxious to disappoint another sledder.

BTW, is Mountain View Lodge in Searchmont not open in the winter. I have left messages there, but no one returns my calls. I enjoyed staying in the caboose there about 15 years ago.

7 hours ago, tricky said:

Thanks Dan. This really helps! I will ride almost anything and have the worn thru skis and busted bones to prove it. And I love DLL, so I am inclined to head there, but I am taking someone who has never sledded in District 13, and is incredibly meticulous with his sled. He only rides Quebec and the N Corridor to avoid less than ideal conditions. I don't want him hating the trip because of my lodging preferences. If driving further to SSM or Searchmont will give him a better riding experience then that is what we will do. Your report Dan, leads me in that direction. The way the weather has been, the forecast 3 and 4 degree celsius temps for this week could end up being much higher and where the snow is already thin, it could be sh^t by mid week. I took two guys into this same area a year ago, and they had to ride more washouts and bare roads than they had experienced in their long sledding experience. I am not anxious to disappoint another sledder.

BTW, is Mountain View Lodge in Searchmont not open in the winter. I have left messages there, but no one returns my calls. I enjoyed staying in the caboose there about 15 years ago.

Another option drop in Timmins and ride to halfway heaven or valentine farms in chapleau. Trails should be mint that way and lots of snow everyone is saying. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Another option drop in Timmins and ride to halfway heaven or valentine farms in chapleau. Trails should be mint that way and lots of snow everyone is saying. 

Thanks Viper, but we have done the hwy 11 trip to KL, Timmins or Cochrane so many times that we just want a change of scenery. We have done the big loop from Timmins using the 101 trail several times the old way, and a couple now on the new 101. We have only blitzed thru mid District 13 a few times, but if we can catch the conditions right, we want to experience more of the Searchmont to Hornepayne area with a side trip to Marathon, and maybe another to Chapleau. That is the current plan anyway, with tomorrow being drive north(west) day.

9 hours ago, tricky said:

I would definitely go further, once past Aubrey Falls trails are amazing!  Buddy and I rode our big trip on family day weekend and we ended up riding to Dunlop lake lodge on Monday from Wawa and there was a huge difference in snow.  Elliot lake you were riding on rocks and trails had all kinds of saplings on the trails.  On the Tuesday never even ended up riding back to the truck in Sudbury, rented a uhaul and shoved the sleds in there to get to Sudbury.  Not worth ruining a $20,000 sled.

2 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

I would definitely go further, once past Aubrey Falls trails are amazing!  Buddy and I rode our big trip on family day weekend and we ended up riding to Dunlop lake lodge on Monday from Wawa and there was a huge difference in snow.  Elliot lake you were riding on rocks and trails had all kinds of saplings on the trails.  On the Tuesday never even ended up riding back to the truck in Sudbury, rented a uhaul and shoved the sleds in there to get to Sudbury.  Not worth ruining a $20,000 sled.

Abrey falls trading post would be a great starting spot too. They have regular fuel and motel rooms and good lot for trailer parking. Food was good when I was last there. Makes it easier to get to wawa or even dub next day. Never stayed in rooms but place seems well kept, from outside. 

On 2/25/2018 at 12:44 AM, tricky said:

Hi Tricky,

There's sled traffic coming out of MountainView and I did chat with a young gentleman from Michigan last Sunday on the Silver Creek trail. He appeared to come out of the Lodge.  Not sure if he was a customer or friend of the owners.

As for north of Elliot Lake, its a roller-coaster ride this winter from Elliot Lake to highway 546 (Kindiogami Landing), all due to the lack of snow (no fault of the club or hard-working volunteers).  If you want to make a good impression on your friend, I would search elsewhere for a starting point.  You can trailer north of Elliot Lake for 23 additional miles, which will bring you to the Kindiogami Landing (On the OFSC trail).  People leave their vehicles overnight and several days. From there, its a 35 mile sled ride on much smoother terrain to Black Creek / Aubrey Falls.  The challenge you may encounter beyond that point is the grading of the Domtar road for 11 km section.  The better solution would be Searchmont, however, a much longer trailer haul for you and I sympathize with the added travel.  Wish I had better news.

Thanks Dan, yamaha06, and all who have helped steer me in the right direction. Based on your advice, this afternoon three of us are heading for Driftwood Chalets in Searchmont. I feel fortunate that Carl had a chalet available for tonight. No such luck on Thursday night. My partners have thrown me a bit of a curve only allowing for three days of sledding, so I doubt that I will get to see Marathon. I will report what we cover once we wrap up. Your help has been much appreciated.

Back home now, but got to spend 3 enjoyable days riding where the snow is, and the hospitality is exceptional. Left Tuesday morning from Driftwood Valley Chalets in Searchmont with good snow on top of a moderately rough D trail to the 101 junction. From there to Halfway Haven was recently groomed. Lunch and gas at Halfway, and back on groomed trail to Wawa. We intended to take the Wawa 5 trail to D north of Wawa, but there was no signage at that corner so we ended up in Wawa. Decided then to head for White River via the Magpie River trail, since there was no accommodation available in Dubreuilville, and it was too early to stop. There was a long stretch of hard whooped out trail to the Magpie, and then smooth sailing up the Magpie to D West to WR. The D was covered with about 6 inches of snow on a gently undulating base that had likely been groomed 4-5 days earlier. Got to WR after dark, got supper and accommodation. 400 km for Day 1.

Tried the Magpie Relay first thing in the morning and got accommodation for Wednesday night. We then decided to ride toward Marathon, my ultimate goal for the trip, and see if the pace would allow us to go from WR to Marathon and back to Dub in one day. About 15 km west of WR, we knew Marathon was going to be waaay too far, and my buddies were having no fun in conditions that they considered boondocking. To me it wasn't that bad - lots of new snow on top of a trail base that was mostly smoothish, but a bit hard to follow. Once we got to where only one sled had been ahead of us, we called off that adventure and turned around. We headed to Dub, registered into our room, got some lunch, and then headed north toward Hornepayne just for giggles. Went up 60km and then turned back to Dub  for the night. This was my third time in 3 years trying to get into the Relay, but I was previously shut out because of short notice and they were full. The wait to stay there was worth it - what great service and accommodation. Good lunch, and great supper at the restaurant, utilizing the shuttle provided. Only 265 km for the day.

Day 3, kind of a sad day knowing it was the last, was the best riding of the trip. The D trail was fairly freshly groomed all the way from Dub to Searchmont. This time we found the Wawa 5 trail, even though again there is no sign indicating '5'. The only sign at the split was a 'Chapleau' sign, but the trail was recently groomed. We correctly assumed that was trail 5 and headed for Halfway for a good lunch, and fuel for 2 of us. The third sled, with the same engine as the other two, took on no fuel, so that we could prove our assumption that our sleds can get well over 300 km on a full tank. Although it must have been a bit unnerving for Rod to stare at the low fuel warning light for over 100 km, we all made it back to Driftwood. Our odometers registered between 320 and 322 km for the day. We felt so good at dusk that we decided to drive home last night. With smoke breaks, a fuel stop and supper break, we got home at 3:30 AM.

Thanks again to all who gave great route and accommodation advice. It was critical to show our newbie to District 13 a good time. Mission accomplished! 

As the pictures show there is no shortage of snow north of Searchmont.

DSC00425.jpg

20180227_105713 (1).jpg

Nice pics and great report.  Glad you enjoyed it.  OMG that pic at the bottom seems to be a familiar site this year.  LOL

The snow they have received in the last couple weeks was a bunch. That trail from White River to Marathon can be tough if not groomed. 

My daughter and I did the White River to Marathon to Dubreuilville one day last season and pushed a bit of snow, but you probably found more of the new stuff than we did. 

Great pictures and hope you get there next time!

It is a great ride to Marathon. 

7C38E9C2-4C07-4C55-8D8C-B5BCC46AC0C0.jpeg

74EDBDEA-ECB4-49F5-9CCD-012F68717453.jpeg

B1217E6F-B4D4-42D6-AF68-34603C4BD61A.jpeg

AB226A38-65AF-4DAF-A54A-54FF42EB5336.jpeg

F8216844-B438-408F-8E4E-5C6979741FE9.jpeg

407BC7F3-DBC8-40CB-84E3-FD1F76521E5A.jpeg

D25E0F16-9D89-4BFB-9C90-D20AC5BC8F78.jpeg

5AD861D4-7881-44C5-92C4-FBF9B9C2CE3B.jpeg

2711DBF1-C19C-45D2-BEDE-6EE4D9605920.jpeg

0E5354EC-4A95-4610-B827-FB7E6A189D89.jpeg

3A3DF5EF-262D-45F5-952F-9C08CB820E36.jpeg

DF3A2D9C-9676-4951-BC3A-3C40B49A5049.jpeg

56FB5DE1-5DFE-4252-BCBD-59457FF693D1.jpeg

Thanks for the memories AC+YA. I didn't get pictures anywhere from White River west. I will use yours as my own. We stayed in the same chalet at Driftwood Valley, and one of your pics posted on the "White River/Marathon" thread (I think it was) depicts a spot that helped my friends decide to turn back. Just a spot with a little open water that had to be detoured(caution tape flagged) by going around on a pond. Not far after that pond the group decision was made. I'm fairly certain that my daughter and I would have carried on, at least a little further. I will get back there and finish the trip. 

Archived