White River/Marathon

tricky

Have not visited WR or Marathon for 10 years or more. Has anyone recently sledded from Dubreuilville to Marathon? How far from Dub to Marathon and is trail fast, or on the slower side? Time wise, is WR about half way between? Places to stay??? Or just stay on D108A up to Hornepayne/ Hearst for a day trip from Dub? Bringing along an experienced N Corridor rider who has never been south of Hornpayne and want to show him something different. Looking at Wednesday/Thursday coming up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two motels in White River & several in Marathon. Check the link in my signature for more info. It has been several years since we rode thru there (before D16 closed). At that the time the trail from White Lake crossing to White River was fairly open thru a reforested area. Between White Lake & the M'wadge turnoff it was on a pipeline or powerline ROW. Quite the hill on the west side of the lake.

From White River to Lucville, I seem to recall the trail as being more 'woodsy'.

Thanks revrnd. What you recall is as I remember the old trail, but I wondered if the trail had be altered, as has been the case elsewhere across the north. I did consult your accommodations guide and found the same places that we stayed years ago. Again I am hoping someone has a recent personal experience. 

Went last season and trail should be better this year from what I have heard.

Stayed in White River a night (still two motels and we stayed on the south side of the road as they had a restaurant and put our sleds in the heated garage over night.  They own the tow service) and rode to the end and then back through all the way to dub the next night.

Very cool trail and less traveled.  The night we stayed in White River we came from Chapleau in the morning.

7 hours ago, tricky said:

Have not visited WR or Marathon for 10 years or more. Has anyone recently sledded from Dubreuilville to Marathon? How far from Dub to Marathon and is trail fast, or on the slower side? Time wise, is WR about half way between? Places to stay??? Or just stay on D108A up to Hornepayne/ Hearst for a day trip from Dub? Bringing along an experienced N Corridor rider who has never been south of Hornpayne and want to show him something different. Looking at Wednesday/Thursday coming up. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I was up there in January. We rode from Dubreilville to white river, turned and back to Dub. Pretty decent fast trail out of Dubreilville but then tightened up and pretty twisty on last half. At the time there were 3 pretty major washouts on trail. All closer to white river. I would expect it’d be a pretty full day from Dubreilville thru to Marathon. Good luck. 

23 minutes ago, J Feces said:

I would expect it’d be a pretty full day from Dubreilville thru to Marathon. Good luck. 

The day we rode thru, we had started in M'wadge & finished up in Wawa. I dont have my trip reports handy, but I didn't think it was a long day by our standards.

6 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Went last season and trail should be better this year from what I have heard.

Stayed in White River a night (still two motels and we stayed on the south side of the road as they had a restaurant and put our sleds in the heated garage over night.  They own the tow service) and rode to the end and then back through all the way to dub the next night.

Very cool trail and less traveled.  The night we stayed in White River we came from Chapleau in the morning.

3 hours ago, J Feces said:

I was up there in January. We rode from Dubreilville to white river, turned and back to Dub. Pretty decent fast trail out of Dubreilville but then tightened up and pretty twisty on last half. At the time there were 3 pretty major washouts on trail. All closer to white river. I would expect it’d be a pretty full day from Dubreilville thru to Marathon. Good luck. 

Thanks guys! Not sure what our group will want to go. I am advocating a trip at least to WR, but the others might prefer the familiar trip north from Dub.

From our '09 trip:

LV NORTHWOODS LODGINGS (Manitouwadge) 8:32 AM SNOWING -20*C        577 MILES         0 MILES (for day)

(38 miles to TOP D)

AR WHITE RIVER 12:25 PM                                                                         666 MILES       89 MILES

FILL WHITE RIVER $25.83 23.94 L $1.079/L PREMIUM                                   666 MILES 

AR DUBREUILVILLE 3:20 PM                                                                        736 MILES     159 MILES 

AR WAWA 5:25 PM                                                                                     789 MILES     212 MILES

FILL WAWA $25.07 23.94 L $1.079/L PREMIUM                                             789 MILES

AR WAWA MOTOR INN 5:46 PM ADD 2 QTS OIL                                            790 MILES

Thanks revrnd for those mileages. It sounds like WH to Dub trail is still pretty much as it was in '09, as is Dub to Wawa I think. I hope the forecast doesn't get any warmer for this week. Not keen on 'rainmobiling'. 

37 minutes ago, tricky said:

Not keen on 'rainmobiling'. 

BTDT too.

Rode to Marathon last weekend, amazing ride and scenery. Not sure how many in your group. It was two of us and we started that day from Wawa to Marathon, so Dueberville to Marathon is very doable. Imo speed is not a factor... The trails from Deuberville to the White River turn around are fairly easy going (especially becouse there meticulously groomed) thanks to Luc, Danny nd there crew. Now... the trail from White River to Marathon was groomed the days prior to us riding them, we were the first and only sleds from White River to Marathon and back the next day, yup 2-tracks in and our 2-tracks back. Speed is not a factor from White River to Marathon after you gas up at the Esso in White River there is one speed and that speed is steady and enjoy the scenery speed because you just can't help but stop and take it all in, bring a camara or be sure your phone is fully charged becouse ther will be a lot of picture taking opportunities. Having said that the whole trail is groomed by one groomer, and by the Marathon club, the whole distance, so not sure how often it's groomed but I dont believe it's heavily traveled and will be in great shape. 

My recomindations are as follows:

Do it! Do it! Do it! go and do the ride!!!  it's a fantastic area of this province and the trail is a "Challenge" the scenery is second to none and if you do go...you won't want to come back home.

Stay at  Marathon Harbour inn 

Regular gas is across the street from Marathon Harbour inn if premium is required continue past that gas station in the westerly direction to the mall (first main street) turn left cross the road and it'll be on your right.

Food.... We chickened out and avoided the local bar (was dark out)  (just being two of us) we opted to eat at the A&W 

Try your darnedest to arrive in Marathon early as possible, pretty much everything closes at 8pm

Again my #1 recommendation is DO IT !!! Go have fun, enjoy. 

Thanks a ton Pstn head for all that info. That is what I wanted to do all along, and now I am sure I can convince our crew of 3. Only one of us is new to the area, but none have us have been to Marathon for over 10 years. Now all we need is a recommendation on where to stay in Searchmont to start/finish this trip.

25 minutes ago, tricky said:

Thanks a ton Pstn head for all that info. That is what I wanted to do all along, and now I am sure I can convince our crew of 3. Only one of us is new to the area, but none have us have been to Marathon for over 10 years. Now all we need is a recommendation on where to stay in Searchmont to start/finish this trip.

Searchmont? That’s easy. Driftwood chalets. Google it. Talk to Carl. Awesome place, parking, reasonable. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, tricky said:

Hey Rick if you can't get into the Driftwood stay in the Soo and drive out to Carl's in the morning it's about a30 min drive

2 hours ago, tricky said:

Searchmount...Driftwood Chalets and like 1049 said... Stay in Sault St. Marie and trailer to Searchmount in the morning. You can park at Driftwood for a small fee (I'd consider that first) or there's a staging area also. You NEED to do this ride whatever it takes!!!! 

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, J Feces said:

I was told that there was a bypass to the big water issue before White River since your early trip this season.  Yes, it was there last year too and I was glad to hear it was bypassed as we have been thinking about another trip over to Marathon yet this season.

There has been lots of snow this past week or two.  Last year we had to break the trail open after a big storm because like the comments say, there is only grooming from Marathon and it may not be too frequent.  It made it a challenging and better trip for us last year.

It is one of the most impressive rides around because it is not all flat.  I recommend it if you have riders with some experience. 

57 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

It is one of the most impressive rides around because it is not all flat.  I recommend it if you have riders with some experience. 

Our only issue was west of White lake when we were breaking trail. The S-I-L got off trail & we had to deal w/ some fairly deep snow to get her back on the trail.

AC, how is the big hill on the west/north shore of White Lake when you're heading towards Marathon? It seemed quite steep  :o & we were going downhill LOL

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Our only issue was west of White lake when we were breaking trail. The S-I-L got off trail & we had to deal w/ some fairly deep snow to get her back on the trail.

AC, how is the big hill on the west/north shore of White Lake when you're heading towards Marathon? It seemed quite steep  :o & we were going downhill LOL

There were some pretty steep climbs for the amount of snow on the hills.  I feel that sleds with shorter tracks would not have made some of them.  Again, we were the first riders for maybe a week or two except for a short distance after White River heading west.  There were people running out to fish or trap or something.  The tracks stopped and then it was only my daughter and me until we hit the poker run grooming out of Marathon.  I will try to add pictures.

B7A09B39-3C29-4550-AEC8-B788E48BA679.jpeg

DB5E02E1-69E2-40AB-94A0-BCBF6FE61A1B.jpeg

024ACA90-C7C4-44BA-86B0-E3EC169B1889.jpeg

B7C49407-F611-4B9C-898E-09F68206BD90.jpeg

04C4085B-ED4F-4FDC-B50D-40031A0F0AC3.jpeg

70A34B7B-F3AE-40D1-92F0-511A43656905.jpeg

0700A514-FD31-4E39-A521-232DCA2AFC59.jpeg

F81076CD-FCDB-487B-9965-97315A641851.jpeg

342B6428-D572-46F1-85AE-ED0A2FCB8F27.jpeg

3C3E35A0-3CD5-4B01-A744-7F3F924A32D8.jpeg

CB895A4C-BC8C-4456-ADB2-920BE2B6B438.jpeg

96DE3C65-C6BD-40C5-BF55-029FA9C53D9E.jpeg

6EE34311-7814-4483-8497-4FDD7305387F.jpeg

D6F25C32-55FA-47CF-9E61-0C8D3B04DA88.jpeg

D57A3448-4693-4FA8-A6FC-DA6EC6B3FB5E.jpeg

The 3rd last pic looks very much like the terrain where S-I-L got stuck.

How much further (roughly) past the M'wadge turnoff to Marathon?

20 minutes ago, revrnd said:

The 3rd last pic looks very much like the terrain where S-I-L got stuck.

How much further (roughly) past the M'wadge turnoff to Marathon?

It is roughly 45 miles by trail from Hwy 614 to Marathon.  The old trail to Manitouwadge hooked in near Hwy 614 about a mile or two above Hwy 17.

11 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

It is roughly 45 miles by trail from Hwy 614 to Marathon.  The old trail to Manitouwadge hooked in near Hwy 614 about a mile or two above Hwy 17.

I was in Marathon during the summer of '16 but never paid attention to the mileage when we drove past 614. Actually stopped @ the display of mining stuff. A friend was a heavy equip' mechanic in Elliot Lake up to '92 so it was neat looking @ the 'scoop'.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone rode to Marathon in the past week, or plan tp go this week? Next week still looks tempting to me.

23 minutes ago, tricky said:

Has anyone rode to Marathon in the past week, or plan tp go this week? Next week still looks tempting to me.

Think it was groomed not long ago and saw this on FB. 

3D6AA839-F187-4E60-89F4-7E5B82E55D03.png

According to the post it is only a few inches deep and is marked. 

Rode this trail last week and have to say it was one of the best trails I have been on this season ,  scenery was good , trail was mixed with rolling hills (some steep but not crazy)   wide logging roads fast sections, and some nice bush sections . There was a bit of traffic met 7 sleds heading to Marathon and 12 sleds the next day on the way back. It is too bad that the trails closed past Marathon and to Manitouwadge , maybe if enough people travelled the north west it might open up some of the trails.  This season I was in the gaspe peninsula for a week and have to say I enjoyed  sledding more from Halfway Haven to Marathon last week more.  

Archived