How Long Do Sliders Last?

andreyboater

I put 1600km on my new Grand touring this year and my sliders is gone, Trails was good and I have studs so I always see snow on my track. What I figured out, it worn up dramatically when I carry a passage around 200 km, so back side of sliders was gone.     

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be track tension, conditions, weight of riders, etc.  Install new ones and monitor track tension, maybe adding another set of idler wheels might alleviate the issue?

Sliders was worn out between last idler wheel and back axle

20180217_144505.jpg

Are you sure there actually done? Like said above the first bit wears quickly, then seem to last forever. Previous owner of my sled got 7000km out of the original ones.

1 hour ago, gtserider said:

A member on here,Barberch has the same machine.He has commented on slider wear.Maybe he can chime in.

Maybe it is a 1200 thing with shifting of extra weight. Have a 900 se sliders at 90 percent at 1500 service. Not much double riding though. 

My etec my girl rode with me for approx 2000 km and sliders lasted just under 8000 km's. 

When you carry a passenger do you rotate the coupler blocks on rear suspension. I usually go up to 5th position (highest setting and front shocks increase to highest setting too and then adjust air suspension from there. Otherwise rear will ride too low and cause slider wear. 

15 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Maybe it is a 1200 thing with shifting of extra weight. Have a 900 se sliders at 90 percent at 1500 service. Not much double riding though. 

My etec my girl rode with me for approx 2000 km and sliders lasted just under 8000 km's. 

When you carry a passenger do you rotate the coupler blocks on rear suspension. I usually go up to 5th position (highest setting and front shocks increase to highest setting too and then adjust air suspension from there. Otherwise rear will ride too low and cause slider wear. 

I adjusted air suspension on 5 and it feels good even on bumps we didn't  get to suspension limit. So I assumed no reason to adjust coupler blocks. Thank's

11 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

I adjusted air suspension on 5 and it feels good even on bumps we didn't  get to suspension limit. So I assumed no reason to adjust coupler blocks. Thank's

Replace sliders and I carrry a pair of needle nose vice grips. Can lock on and adjust blocks very easier. Make sure to turn away from spring though, not towards it. That will allow you to ride with air suspension on 3 or so. 

3 hours ago, FishHog said:

7700km on my factory set on my renegade.  Still lots of life left.  Front always wears fast, but then stops.  don't run your track too tight and you should get a decent range on them.

X2 on my '17 Blizzard 900 ACE.

6000km so far and still plenty of slider remaining on a 2016 1200 enduro renegade also with rear air shock, but seldom take it off 1 unless it gets real bumpy or while loading it or when riding  2 up.  

Back when I had my Yammy Nytro, I was lucky to get a 1000km on a set.  The best thing I did was upsize each idler wheel 5mm on top of adding a set of wheels at the high wear area.  Only replaced sliders annually after that.  Earlier generation Yamahas were notorious for slide wear.  It wasn't a weight thing, or riding conditions...it was poorly designed/engineered.

6000 miles and still good. Setting your track tension to factory spec is just a guide line. As long as it doesn't ratchet under power... Run it

58 minutes ago, Grimm said:

Back when I had my Yammy Nytro, I was lucky to get a 1000km on a set.  The best thing I did was upsize each idler wheel 5mm on top of adding a set of wheels at the high wear area.  Only replaced sliders annually after that.  Earlier generation Yamahas were notorious for slide wear.  It wasn't a weight thing, or riding conditions...it was poorly designed/engineered.

Although I somewhat agree with that, most Yamaha sliders got to a certain thickness quickly then stopped. I also believe most/all sled manu's track tension specs/suggestions are too tight. I run mine way looser than what Yamaha recommends and I have never had a problem or concern.

When weight/rider is added, it adds more track tension/tightness. If the OP's track for some reason isn't too tight, then the rear area in his pic looks like a great spot for an extra set of idlers. I put an extra set in front of my rear idlers on my XLT.  (Pic of how loose my track is on my Vector and the extra set of wheels on my XLT)

HPIM1034 (Large).JPG

IMG_0161 (Large).JPG

having wear issue on my 01 Vmax....getting about 1300 miles on a set....kinda scared to leave them ...I hear that they wear quickly then stop and wear extremely slow...hope thats the case

37 minutes ago, Diceman said:

having wear issue on my 01 Vmax....getting about 1300 miles on a set....kinda scared to leave them ...I hear that they wear quickly then stop and wear extremely slow...hope thats the case

Where are they wearing?  And don't say the bottom! :lol:  If they are wearing at the very back, or the very front, you could need to check your setup of the transfer rods or limiting straps.  If they are relatively even, then it is probably normal.  I found the VMax relatively hard on sliders, but they do wear fast at first and last a while.

Go to your local Yamaha dealer and ask for the Dupont sliders for a Skidoo. I have them in my sled with 7500 kms and they look almost new.Yamaha also makes them for Polaris. The pic shows the part number for the Skidoo sliders. They are not cheap.About 85 bucks a piece. Skidoo offers them in their accessory catologue but they are 105 bucks a piece if my memory serves me correct.Not cheap but they lasttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!

post-383842-0-13562500-1508253149.jpg

Duponts on my Apex with about 12,000 kms.

Diceman, on our V-Max's I used to replace the wheels as Irv suggested.  Use plastic Kimpex Poo wheels, bolt right on.  Just replacing the front 4 will help a lot.  And I agree, sliders wear quickly, then stop.  Just keep monitoring them.  As for tension, Yamaha spec is about 1-1/4" gap at 22 lbs tension.  I'd start at about 1-3/4".

51 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

Go to your local Yamaha dealer and ask for the Dupont sliders for a Skidoo. I have them in my sled with 7500 kms and they look almost new.Yamaha also makes them for Polaris. The pic shows the part number for the Skidoo sliders. They are not cheap.About 85 bucks a piece. Skidoo offers them in their accessory catologue but they are 105 bucks a piece if my memory serves me correct.Not cheap but they lasttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!

post-383842-0-13562500-1508253149.jpg

skidoo dealers sell them now too. 

11 hours ago, gtserider said:

A member on here,Barberch has the same machine.He has commented on slider wear.Maybe he can chime in.

I would only get 1500 kms out of my sliders and they would be worn down to less than half. Last year, like this year we had to travel to snow and I couldn't hope that the wearing would stop once they got to the less than half point so i had to change them. I rode with other manufacture sleds all season and my sliders were the only ones we could smell. Dealer couldn't help me solve the problem. Ran the track loose, spec, no difference. Couldn't buy the Duponts as they were on backorder. Sold the sled in the off season and picked up an Enduro in December. First trip out and could smell the sliders again. I was hopeful that it was a track issue as the GT has a different tranck than the Enduro, but still smelled the sliders on only my sled in the group. I bought the Duponts and put on the Skidoo scratchers. Shouldn't have to spend almost $400 to make it so I don't burn sliders, but I don't want to think about them again all season.  Must be a bad design. Been riding in all kinds of conditions on many different sleds for many years and never required schratchers, but I now have them. Shame on BRP! Shame on them for their belt life as well! I love the 1200 and the R motion so it keeps me coming back, but sometimes I wonder why....

2 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Where are they wearing?  And don't say the bottom! :lol:  If they are wearing at the very back, or the very front, you could need to check your setup of the transfer rods or limiting straps.  If they are relatively even, then it is probably normal.  I found the VMax relatively hard on sliders, but they do wear fast at first and last a while.

wearing from middle to back of sliders...more wear on back 10 inches  of the sliders....

W/ the various "C" & SC suspensions we found that most of the wear occurred near the bend & between idlers.

57 minutes ago, Diceman said:

wearing from middle to back of sliders...more wear on back 10 inches  of the sliders....

IIRC, my son had a similar wear pattern on the '01 VMax when he was playing with the spacers in the transfer rods.  I cannot remember the specifics, but the wear should be similar along most of the slider.

There are a couple of good links, including a video on setting up the ProAction suspension on TotallYamaha.

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/SUSPENSION.html

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Suspension/Hyfax_Saving.htm

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Archived