How Long Do Sliders Last?

andreyboater

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

I have done the foot dragging in the past (@ a low speed). I don't recall doing it w/ the REV, the seating position may preclude doing it.

Ya i dont know why everyone bashed that and assumed its done at high speeds. I dont typically go fasyer than 30 or 40km on any road regardless. Im only 5' 5" rev xm chassis no issues reaching ground. Cheers haters

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, jensen22 said:

Ya i dont know why everyone bashed that and assumed its done at high speeds. I dont typically go fasyer than 30 or 40km on any road regardless. Im only 5' 5" rev xm chassis no issues reaching ground. Cheers haters

I have done this as well on my Rev XP chassis, no problems so far. Just have to do it slow speed so you don't harm the knee. I have scratchers now, just need to install them.

I ran 15,000 miles on my old rev chassis  sc-4 with lots of two up  riding . trick is loosen track  close to point of racheting  and the cheap add on idler brackets and wheel  for back from royal or doo junk yard. I only changed the sliders to sell sled still had life to go

21 hours ago, gibson said:

Think it's Polaris edge wheels that take the 6004 bearing. Older Indy wheels ran 6205 bearings

can someone chirp in if they know for sure the exact wheels to use?

1 hour ago, Diceman said:

can someone chirp in if they know for sure the exact wheels to use?

5.350 dia. wheel uses the 6004 brg. Same brg yamaha uses on their wheels. Should be in the Royal Distributing book.

Dice,

Couple of things.  Re-read your posts and your wear is rear of sled, so I prolly misled you by saying you could just oversize the front 4 idler wheels.  Most of our wear was up front.  You could replace all 6, but not the big rear ones.   We did play around with thickness of plastic washers on the coupling rods, forcing weight transfer forward or rearward.

It's been a while since I looked at a V-Max, so I don't remember all the details, so I looked at a catalog.  Stock wheels are 5.125" OD, wheels we used were 5.350" OD.  I believe they were 04-116-67 Kimpex, which you should be able to buy at any dealer.  There is no listing for a Poo wheel 5.350" with 6004 bearing. Old wheels did use 6004 bearings and new ones 6205.  I think the bushings that come with them should adapt, but again, I don't remember all the details.  I would take a mounting block with me to compare.

12 minutes ago, whits-end said:

Dice,

Couple of things.  Re-read your posts and your wear is rear of sled, so I prolly misled you by saying you could just oversize the front 4 idler wheels.  Most of our wear was up front.  You could replace all 6, but not the big rear ones.   We did play around with thickness of plastic washers on the coupling rods, forcing weight transfer forward or rearward.

It's been a while since I looked at a V-Max, so I don't remember all the details, so I looked at a catalog.  Stock wheels are 5.125" OD, wheels we used were 5.350" OD.  I believe they were 04-116-67 Kimpex, which you should be able to buy at any dealer.  There is no listing for a Poo wheel 5.350" with 6004 bearing. Old wheels did use 6004 bearings and new ones 6205.  I think the bushings that come with them should adapt, but again, I don't remember all the details.  I would take a mounting block with me to compare.

thanks...I will take a pic of the sliders and what the back control arms look like and maybe you may have a better idea of what going on...Cheers and thanks

5 hours ago, Diceman said:

thanks...I will take a pic of the sliders and what the back control arms look like and maybe you may have a better idea of what going on...Cheers and thanks

Diceman, the info in this TY site should be helpful. It is not the 4 stroke one but rather the 2 stroke one.

Good luck. (Here are various links/threads I found doing a quick search)

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Suspension/Hyfax_Saving.htm

https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/76735-TECH-PAGE-INDEX-FAQ

https://totallyamaha.net/showthread.php/76590-Faq-help-tech-info-Please-Look-Here-First-Before-You-Post-thanks

https://www.totallyamaha.net/

On 2/27/2018 at 12:46 PM, whits-end said:

Dice,

so here are some pics...as you can see the back end of sliders are worn badly but front is much better..second pic is front of sliders....3rd and 4th pics are back of sliders, each side......also first pic is of back control arms....the pic of control arms is how it is suppose to be if I am on the sled but the pic is taken with me not on the sled....the gap should be fully on the top of the control arm when no one is on the sled .....when someone is on the sled it should look like it does in the pic....to bad I am not on the sled..lol....

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

What is the thickness of the slider in your pics at the back.  From the top of the slider to the bottom.  Looks to me like it is above the wear line on the slider.

On 27/02/2018 at 7:50 AM, cornbinder said:

I ran 15,000 miles on my old rev chassis  sc-4 with lots of two up  riding . trick is loosen track  close to point of racheting  and the cheap add on idler brackets and wheel  for back from royal or doo junk yard. I only changed the sliders to sell sled still had life to go

Loose track makes a HUGE difference. Ive never added wheels but i measure them after most weekends in comparison to a newset using vernier. Trust that more than the wear bars 

@irREVerent Not sure how my sliders looked, but they replaced mine on the 1st service due to wear @ the front. We had several stretches of bare pavement running. On Hwy 101, the bridges being used may not be all that long, but the guardrails extend for a fair distance on other side. Very little in the way of loose snow.

This is the 1st time I've had sliders replaced so soon. Mind you, the conditions last week were abrasive more than usual.

4 hours ago, revrnd said:

@irREVerent Not sure how my sliders looked, but they replaced mine on the 1st service due to wear @ the front. We had several stretches of bare pavement running. On Hwy 101, the bridges being used may not be all that long, but the guardrails extend for a fair distance on other side. Very little in the way of loose snow.

This is the 1st time I've had sliders replaced so soon. Mind you, the conditions last week were abrasive more than usual.

Did the others in your group need new sliders too?  Big mark up on the sliders. I think retail is $10 more than dealer invoice. Maybe thats why they wear so much?   lol

1 hour ago, barberch said:

Did the others in your group need new sliders too?  Big mark up on the sliders. I think retail is $10 more than dealer invoice. Maybe thats why they wear so much?   lol

We rode Liskeard to Hearst and return 2 weeks ago. I'm summarizing my buddies vector XTX 146". The sliders are worn almost to the wear bar in one area. They were installed by a dealer a couple of weeks before we left. They have 1790 km. on them. To be fair, he's not much into running up the banks or into the soft stuff when on a roadway or the trail is really hard and doesn't have scratchers. Still. I would have thought they would do better than that.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:06 PM, Diceman said:

so here are some pics...as you can see the back end of sliders are worn badly but front is much better..second pic is front of sliders....3rd and 4th pics are back of sliders, each side......also first pic is of back control arms....the pic of control arms is how it is suppose to be if I am on the sled but the pic is taken with me not on the sled....the gap should be fully on the top of the control arm when no one is on the sled .....when someone is on the sled it should look like it does in the pic....to bad I am not on the sled..lol....

IMG_1200.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1203.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

Sorry i can't see anything but empties in the picture LOL:lol:

I have good luck with the Dupont sliders that Yammi sells. The standard ones seem to last about a season, however the Dupont ones are lasting 3 seasons or more.

The dupont are about twice the price as the standard, but are lasting 3 times as long!

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We rode Liskeard to Hearst and return 2 weeks ago. I'm summarizing my buddies vector XTX 146". The sliders are worn almost to the wear bar in one area. They were installed by a dealer a couple of weeks before we left. They have 1790 km. on them. To be fair, he's not much into running up the banks or into the soft stuff when on a roadway or the trail is really hard and doesn't have scratchers. Still. I would have thought they would do better than that.

PLC I try to angle up on the banks when possible too Last week in some spots the bank was just as hard as the pavement. Crossing the bridge over the Frederick House River in Connaught, we could smell plastic.

Before the trip up north I hadn't put on 400 klicks on the sled. The pavement running didn't impress me or irREVerent. In all my trips up north, I don't think I'd ever seen as much bare pavement.

Usually I get several seasons (lately being more prevalent) out of a pair.

Other than @ a 'doo dealer, does anyone know of any other sources for Dupont's Vespal sliders?

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

Other than @ a 'doo dealer, does anyone know of any other sources for Dupont's Vespal sliders?

I got mine at the Yamaha dealer.

1 minute ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I got mine at the Yamaha dealer.

Priced the same @ 104?

After 130 klicks on snowy trails Sun' you could see the greyish tinge to the snow on the rear portion of the rails.

Scratchers.   Always down. Always. 

it seems doo and old chasis yamis are really hard on sliders, mine last 15k kms and never get too hot even in marginal snow. Encountered a couple on new ski doos last winter, one had the slider fused to the twe simply could not get it unstuck and they called their dealer to pull it off the trail.

Archived