How Long Do Sliders Last?

andreyboater

2 hours ago, barberch said:

I would only get 1500 kms out of my sliders and they would be worn down to less than half. Last year, like this year we had to travel to snow and I couldn't hope that the wearing would stop once they got to the less than half point so i had to change them. I rode with other manufacture sleds all season and my sliders were the only ones we could smell. Dealer couldn't help me solve the problem. Ran the track loose, spec, no difference. Couldn't buy the Duponts as they were on backorder. Sold the sled in the off season and picked up an Enduro in December. First trip out and could smell the sliders again. I was hopeful that it was a track issue as the GT has a different tranck than the Enduro, but still smelled the sliders on only my sled in the group. I bought the Duponts and put on the Skidoo scratchers. Shouldn't have to spend almost $400 to make it so I don't burn sliders, but I don't want to think about them again all season.  Must be a bad design. Been riding in all kinds of conditions on many different sleds for many years and never required schratchers, but I now have them. Shame on BRP! Shame on them for their belt life as well! I love the 1200 and the R motion so it keeps me coming back, but sometimes I wonder why....

I've had this exact same slider melting issue on R motion 129", twice this year. Track clips were hot enough to burn finger and actually damaged the drive sprockets. Mine was only sled in the group with the problem, despite track being loose and adequate  (but less than ideal) snow/ice in the skid. I went to the Dupont sliders (They are expensive but will be worth it if they fix a problem which I don't understand!!)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5600km on stockers. Just bought new ones but still some life left. 1.75 track run it pretty loose. Usually drag a boot every so often on long road stretches try n keep em cool should last a year or 2 at the least

6 hours ago, jensen22 said:

5600km on stockers. Just bought new ones but still some life left. 1.75 track run it pretty loose. Usually drag a boot every so often on long road stretches try n keep em cool should last a year or 2 at the least

You do Fred flintstone with your riding boots, to throw snow into your sliders? I don't even think I can touch ground with my boot while sitting on sled. 

44 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

You do Fred flintstone with your riding boots, to throw snow into your sliders? I don't even think I can touch ground with my boot while sitting on sled. 

Now there's an idea.... studded boots to kick up snow with instead of scratchers. :-D

My Yamaha 4 stroke sleds all seemed to suffer from overheating and in low snow conditions, I fell into the habit of dragging my boots on the ground in a "V" formation, channeling the snow into the suspension to cool the heat exchangers and sliders.  My Skidoo never has this issue, but I still find myself kicking snow into the suspension to preserve the sliders in low snow conditions.

9 hours ago, coolbane said:

I've had this exact same slider melting issue on R motion 129", twice this year. Track clips were hot enough to burn finger and actually damaged the drive sprockets. Mine was only sled in the group with the problem, despite track being loose and adequate  (but less than ideal) snow/ice in the skid. I went to the Dupont sliders (They are expensive but will be worth it if they fix a problem which I don't understand!!)

Thats why I put scratchers on as well. I figured the Duponts would be the answer to the wearing issue, but still worried about the track clips getting hot. I will say the BRP scratchers were easy to put on and work really good. The Duponts and scratchers should come as standard equipment.

7 minutes ago, barberch said:

Thats why I put scratchers on as well. I figured the Duponts would be the answer to the wearing issue, but still worried about the track clips getting hot. I will say the BRP scratchers were easy to put on and work really good. The Duponts and scratchers should come as standard equipment.

Which scratchers?they sell 3 different types.

7 minutes ago, gtserider said:

Which scratchers?they sell 3 different types.

The tunnel ice scratchers. 

https://www.ski-doo.com/ca/shop/Accessories/cooling_lubrification/ice_scratchers/tunnel-ice-scratchers-with-replaceable-tips---rev-gen4-xs-xp-xr.html

21 minutes ago, barberch said:

The track clips "shouldn't" get as hot using the Duponts as that is what they are designed for. The product is more slippery, which of course creates less friction/heat than regular non Dupont type sliders. 

Sorry to hear you're having this problem Chris, but if you weren't, Render would just find something else to tease you about! :D

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

A really bad idea!  Can you say 'broken ankle'?

I know... I was being sarcastic hence the smiley face...

5 hours ago, Irv said:

The track clips "shouldn't" get as hot using the Duponts as that is what they are designed for. The product is more slippery, which of course creates less friction/heat than regular non Dupont type sliders. 

Sorry to hear you're having this problem Chris, but if you weren't, Render would just find something else to tease you about! :D

I don't like "shouldn't" . If it was "won't" I would be OK. As you know Dale, we drive long distances to enjoy sledding and I can't let sliders ruin my trip. And you are right about Render!

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I know... I was being sarcastic hence the smiley face...

I might stud my boots with igrips. Been a few times I go ass over tea kettle when I step on black ice in parking lots. 

only issue is they could rip the seat. 

13 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Hahaha done it for years now only when i see the temp rise on the sled. I dont mean every single road ride just the occasional long one loke the d trail due to powasson being closed. If the motors getting hot the sliders are probably getting dry too. Couple seconds makes a difference every few km. Thank god for klim boots the ckx would probably melt

2 hours ago, jensen22 said:

Hahaha done it for years now only when i see the temp rise on the sled. I dont mean every single road ride just the occasional long one loke the d trail due to powasson being closed. If the motors getting hot the sliders are probably getting dry too. Couple seconds makes a difference every few km. Thank god for klim boots the ckx would probably melt

Always thought about mounting a hockey sticks to back of my sled. Can use it to channel snow into the sliders from side of trail (has a nice curve on it). Could also be used on a 60 degree upwards angle to keep hot shot riders away from me when they pass. One stick funnelling snow other one blocking riders from passing to close. 

There's a new invention out lately, it's called "Scratchers" ...

Mine are down 90% of the time. Hard packed trails are the norm lately. 

15 hours ago, barberch said:

I don't like "shouldn't" . If it was "won't" I would be OK. As you know Dale, we drive long distances to enjoy sledding and I can't let sliders ruin my trip. And you are right about Render!

I hear you, Chris, you certainly don't want something as menial as sliders ruining your trip(s) Having to be constantly thinking/worrying about them is one thing, but having them wear out causing you to shorten your trip is another!

I am not of your path forward but I think your only option at this point is to get some and hope for the best and/or maybe add some extra wheels, or oversized wheels and continue using your scratchers. 

I am not sure I believe the differences at the start of this vid, but if 100% true, I'd say they should cure your problems if you continue to be mindful of the issue by keeping your skid covered in snow as much as you can.

Good Luck.

On February-23-18 at 11:27 PM, sledjunk said:

IIRC, my son had a similar wear pattern on the '01 VMax when he was playing with the spacers in the transfer rods.  I cannot remember the specifics, but the wear should be similar along most of the slider.

There are a couple of good links, including a video on setting up the ProAction suspension on TotallYamaha.

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/SUSPENSION.html

https://totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Suspension/Hyfax_Saving.htm

Good luck and I hope this helps.

watched this before...my control rods are not set up like video...even with the video we were unable to set them properly....they are suppose to have same gap on both sides when sitting on machine and when off the sled, gap should be fully on top side..when I am on machine there is only gap on one side and when off sled there are gaps on both sides...

On February-23-18 at 8:52 PM, whits-end said:

Duponts on my Apex with about 12,000 kms.

Diceman, on our V-Max's I used to replace the wheels as Irv suggested.  Use plastic Kimpex Poo wheels, bolt right on.  Just replacing the front 4 will help a lot.  And I agree, sliders wear quickly, then stop.  Just keep monitoring them.  As for tension, Yamaha spec is about 1-1/4" gap at 22 lbs tension.  I'd start at about 1-3/4".

so guessing these wheels are bigger...are the Kimpex wheels you talk about  the common ones for Polaris?...what size are they?...guessing I could getr them at Royal?

23 minutes ago, Diceman said:

so guessing these wheels are bigger...are the Kimpex wheels you talk about  the common ones for Polaris?...what size are they?...guessing I could getr them at Royal?

If you are not a member of TY, I would highly suggest you join as the info within is great, imo.

This is one link but insure this applies to you first.

Good luck.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/oversized-idler-wheels-any-problems-with-using-them.28734/

On 2/24/2018 at 8:35 PM, jensen22 said:

I have done the foot dragging in the past (@ a low speed). I don't recall doing it w/ the REV, the seating position may preclude doing it.

so what Polaris wheels are they, from what years?looked in the other TY forum but just says Polaris wheels...

7 minutes ago, Diceman said:

so what Polaris wheels are they, from what years?looked in the other TY forum but just says Polaris wheels...

Think it's Polaris edge wheels that take the 6004 bearing. Older Indy wheels ran 6205 bearings

Archived