Busted up in Cochrane

Boy Oh Buoy

10 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Looks like I need to keep JB Weld in my "survival kit" along with all the other stuff to get me out of a bind.

Not a bad idea, could be the difference between riding out of the bush or walking. Hell river water would get you out if need be.

6 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

Looks like I need to keep JB Weld in my "survival kit" along with all the other stuff to get me out of a bind.

Never used JB Weld (friends used to joke about), but have experience w/ Oatey putty (a 2 part kneadable product) in work related situations. Does anyone know how they compare?

JB weld was our first thought, but it is supposed to set for a few hours . It was already after 1:00 and we had to get back to Kirkland Lk. The trail was rough and slow on the way up so we incorrectly assumed it would be the same . It was mint tho . The last thing we needed on our last day  was another breakdown so played it safe and arranged a truck 

Don't know Oatey putty, but JB Weld also comes as a 2 part putty as well as 2 part epoxy tubes.  The putty works well.  First experience was when my oil tank cracked in '09.  Repaired it trailside and once we got more oil, I was good to go.  Always carry a stick of it with me now.

Another useful product is Seal-All.  It is a tube product, but can be used to patch hoses (both coolant and fuel).  Wrap the hose with electrical tape, coat with Seal-All) and wrap again.  Can be put into service immediately,

13 hours ago, catinental couch said:

We have never had any luck with the single ply track. What you have to do to make it and the sled perform defies logic.

I rode a single ply studded track for 6 years with only one bent stud to show for it.  Never had a problem, but did use the studs made for single ply with the larger washers.

That being said, my current pre studded ice ripper is the cats ass in my mind.  Not as good of hook up as studs obviously, but more than enough for my kind of trail riding.

19 hours ago, revrnd said:

Never used JB Weld (friends used to joke about), but have experience w/ Oatey putty (a 2 part kneadable product) in work related situations. Does anyone know how they compare?

Jb weld would fix a leak on heat exchanger no doubt, if used in a warm garage.  I have used it on my main poultry water line, when fitting cracked on a Sunday and needed water on. It hardens just like cement, but hard on hands working it up properly. Be real tough to work with with cold temps, probably be frozen solid and useless. 

I see sledjunk got it to work, so maybe if carried in a warm spot like a jacket or heated bag would be ok. Need a knife to cut putty though. 

Archived