Busted up in Cochrane

Boy Oh Buoy

Howdy all , 

A sled in our group is busted and sitting in Cochrane. 

Our trucks and trailer are in Kirkland Lake. 

If anyone has truck or trailer space for 1 sled please let me know ASAP. 

Thanks a bunch 

Riding too fast and trying to keep up,lets here it.

Any flat deck transports that you might be able to get in on? 

Saw a Summit or other mtn sled on on load of lumber passing thru Kap' 1 year we wete up there.

Brp dealer set us up with a lift. 

And it was a stud pulled out went thru the heat exchanger . 

So back to KL now and drowning our sorrows in the parking lot of the Super 8

Sorry to here.

You got to love that parking lot,almost drowned there my self.

Sorry to hear about your trip being cut short.

37 minutes ago, Boy Oh Buoy said:

Thats too easy, the beer store is just down the street. Glad to hear you got back OK.

15 hours ago, Boy Oh Buoy said:

I quit using studs because of just such an incident.

I am now using the screw in traction aids which take the edge off on icy stuff and don't wreck your track or sled.

You may want to look into them as there are many to choose from now.

I will not go without anymore.

They are not for racing hookups, but make it so much safer.

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

I am now using the screw in traction aids which take the edge off on icy stuff and don't wreck your track or sled.

May I ask what brand you are using and what track?

I have a 137" cobra 1.6" presently which has holes in the lugs which I presume would be the proper location for install?

We also quit studding tracks about 4 years ago after 25+ years of religiously studding tracks. Do not miss installing them, maintaining them, worrying about them etc.

Rarely have we ever missed them on the trails and both my wife and I prefer the adapted riding style without them now. The longer Cobra tracks have been fantastic on and off trail and we find the stopping power to be quite good with the reverse cup lugs on them.

But these screw in style are some what intriguing. Never had a catastrophic failure due to studding, but do the screw in type not pose the same risk of flying out into an exchanger?

3 hours ago, AC+YA said:

I was looking at i grips, not sure which brand you used. Looks like a great idea. Was thinking of doing sled this summer. Did brand you used require pre drilling and did you use a glue too when installing? I too hate traditional studs and replacing a track with 1500 km's on it, isn't the most practical option. 

The '07 I got rid of was studded when new & track was still intact w/ 17,000 miles on it. Mind you I'm careful of what I'm riding on.

I have i-grips on my sled, over 5000 km and still sharp. I have 300 and they are light, work great. Have not lost one yet. They recommend a pilot hole , but if you are good with a cordless drill no problem. they come out with tool supplied just as easy.

8 minutes ago, revrnd said:

The '07 I got rid of was studded when new & track was still intact w/ 17,000 miles on it. Mind you I'm careful of what I'm riding on.

8 minutes ago, tireless said:

I have i-grips on my sled, over 5000 km and still sharp. I have 300 and they are light, work great. Have not lost one yet. They recommend a pilot hole , but if you are good with a cordless drill no problem. they come out with tool supplied just as easy.

You didn't use any glue either? Some people were using glue on a different brand, cause the claimed they can back out over time. Some drilled a pilot hole and dipped stud threads in glue and installed to light torque setting on drill. 

No glue, I bought at snowmobile show and sales guy had a piece of track that he said had 25000 km and they were all there,

although worn down. but they are easy to remove and replace.

I bought 216 i-grips at sledarama in peterborough. I was going to install on a ripsaw ll 137" ×  1.25" lug. The lugs look thin though. Has anybody used them with this track. Thanks.

5 hours ago, revrnd said:

I had similar results Revrnd. 10000 miles on 04 ZX. Not 1 pull out, bent or tip missing carbide. I just never saw the need to spin over rocks, highway or gas station parking lots.

Haven't studded the 900 yet, not sure if I even will. I know lots of them have but the single ply track and stud combination worries me. I'm probably nuts, or cheap.

Ive always studded my tracks for safety reasons,its bad luck if you have one go into your heat exchanger ,but they could also save your life .

39 minutes ago, Crow said:

I had similar results Revrnd. 10000 miles on 04 ZX. Not 1 pull out, bent or tip missing carbide. I just never saw the need to spin over rocks, highway or gas station parking lots.

Haven't studded the 900 yet, not sure if I even will. I know lots of them have but the single ply track and stud combination worries me. I'm probably nuts, or cheap.

We have never had any luck with the single ply track. What you have to do to make it and the sled perform defies logic.

12 hours ago, FishHog said:

bummer, but unless you cooked the engine, buy some JB weld.  Patch the hole and ride.  It will last.

I will second that. I bought a used sled with jb weld on the exchangers and I rode it for 2 years before I traded it. It didn't leak a drop. 

11 minutes ago, Daves said:

I will second that. I bought a used sled with jb weld on the exchangers and I rode it for 2 years before I traded it. It didn't leak a drop. 

Looks like I need to keep JB Weld in my "survival kit" along with all the other stuff to get me out of a bind.

Archived