Cross-Country Weekend

Dan-Senior

Cross-Country Riding Weekend

The lower than usual snow levels and this past January's cold weather is making for stellar Cross-Country riding opportunities in south Algoma.

We are heading into the deep interior on Friday to start a weekend of riding.   The plan is to make a loop out of the trip and part of the route includes the Dunlop Lodge and the Dunlop Burger.  Unfortunately, our friend Chad is not available this weekend to enjoy the Burgers.

Here's a 23 Laker we pulled off a few years back with Scott, Paige, Brent, Chad and myself.  Should be a great weekend for the XCR.

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 5

That was a great day of riding.  Thanks again for taking Paige and I along.  We still talk about the way you just go long distance from point A to point B without trails.

Loved seeing this this morning.

Thanks Dan

• Like 1

PURE GRASS ROOTS SNOWMOBILING     DAN     IT IS DEEP DOWN THE PASSION THAT WE ALL SHARE....THAT RIDE IS WHAT WE TRULY SHARE IN OUR BLOOD,,ITS IS WHAT HAS TAKING US THIS FAR FORSURE....AWESOME JOB MY FRIEND       YOU HAVE IT ALL FIGURED OUT,NO DOUGHT..;)

• Like 1

cool video thx for sharing

• Like 1

Cross-Country Today

Attached is our SPOT Tracker for today's Cross-Country Trip.  Map goes live at 10 AM.

Thanks for following along.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=00IXu4LxvmZSEIh53MEmzcD4zq0mSPY9J

Dan

Cross-Country Trip Photos

Today's bush adventures brought us across 21 lakes and a series of swamps.  Snow-depth was good on the west part of the route, but shy on the east side.  Creeks and rivers are starting to open up due to milder weather.  We hit open water in several spots.

Dan

Snowbird Lake Swamp-1.JPG

Snowbird Lake Swamp-2.JPG

• Like 2

21 Lake Cross-Country Video

Some video footage I took during Saturday's Cross-Country trip.  We trailered to Endikai Lake Ontario as our starting point.

• Like 2

19 Lake Cross Country

Our trip of the Blue Lakes System.  19 lakes.  Starting at Endikai Lake Ontario.

Endikai Kirkpatrick.jpg

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 3

New Engine

In early January, I upgraded my XCR to a newer, higher-performance 440 engine.  After 3 times out and various adjustments, I think its good.  There's ample get-up-and go to stay above the slush and encounters with possible open water during my cross-country trips.

(Video Attached Here)

xcr.avi

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 1

Tomorrow's Cross-Country

3 of us are heading inland into South-Algoma tomorrow in search of old lumber camps that date back to the late 1800's.  This is a stellar year for exploring due to low snow levels and good ice conditions.  I have done this cross-country route alone in the past and am pleased to have 2 friends join me on this trip.

Attached are some photos from my former adventure.

Astonish-Lake.jpg

Astonish-Lake-1.jpg

Breaking-Trail.jpg

downed-trees.jpg

Swamp-Before-Big-Lake.jpg

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 4

That’s awesome exploring new areas. Like the old style 440XCR!! 

• Like 1

Cross Country Adventure - Winter Metal Detecting Trip

On this trip, I connected with 2 seasoned pioneers who were my guide into the wilderness of south Agoma to a specific location that I have never been to before.

Staging from Dunlop Lake Ontario, we headed inland via several lakes and bush trails to a a remote lake that is only accessible during winter months as there are no roads in.  Our quest was to locate and explore what was a possible former lumber camp from the late 1800's early 1900's.

Video Trip Attached

• Like 4

Thanks Dan, one of these years I would love to go for a ride with you into some of these back country areas.

27 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Thanks Dan, one of these years I would love to go for a ride with you into some of these back country areas.

My pleasure Nunz.  I have several routes that are a nice combination of OFSC and Cross-Country running all nicely rideable in 1 day.

• Like 1

Today's Cross Country

Leaving the Sault at 9:30 am this morning, then arriving at the wilderness entrance point at 11:30 at Endikai Lake.  Today's Cross Country run is all new territory for me, however, should be an exciting trip running the various new lakes & creeks.  Destination is Keelor Lake, Lower Mace Lake, Claim Lake to Dunlop.  Only doable if ice conditions allow.

Here's the SPOT Tracker.  Starts at 9:30 AM

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0GSk1e5vHie9VHKcdycOdUEMl6FqP8rVs

Dan

Edited by Dan-Senior
  • Like 4

Man, I don't know that I have seen that large of a collection of wedgies in 25 years!

That's good riding!

I'm good with exploring, as long as someone's got the chainsaw. 

The axe is OK for the occassional deadfall, but on a route like that - I hope someone had a motor on their axe.

• Like 1

Impressive.

• Like 1

Nice Ride, look forward to the video.

• Like 1

Cross Country Video

Today was a good day.  New territory was nice to see and explore.  I had my metal detector and digging tool hooked on the back of the sled and managed to locate a few old lumber camps along the way.  Unfortunately, I lost my axe on a steep hill at Pathfinder Lake.  Otherwise, no other issues.

• Like 3

Where are the ....... trails?  :-P

Looks like a challenging, but fun, trip.

Great song.

• Like 1

Awesome view of your Sunday ride Dan. I watched your tracks different times through the afternoon. 

• Like 1

"This video contains content from SME, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Humbug!

Edited by Ox