I've learned my lesson

andreyboater

Just come back from 1200 km North trip and have down 2 sleds from 6 down with frozen gas. We got some sh... fuel at one of gas station and didn't pay attention to use de icer,  it wasn't too cold outside. As result pay full price by wasting time and money to tow a sleds and warm them up at dealer shop.   Will never drive with out de ice ever!!! 

20180216_112206.jpg

20180216_092653.jpg

That sucks! Was there any engine damage? My parents were on a group trip to the Ottawa Valley. One morning my mother's sled didn't right correctly. One of the younger guys in the group tinkered w/ sleds & started checking things. Pulled the float bowl off the carb & there was quite a bit of ice in it. Got it 'straightened out' & she was good to go. The day went downhill afterwards when the 'leader' ignored signage & advice & they wound up in Griffith & had to endure several miles of pudding riding.

She knew they had taken a wrong turn (before they should've) but didn't want to stop the group because she felt bad about the delay getting away caused by her sled.

5 minutes ago, blown corner said:

SEA FOAM! I PUT THAT S%#T IN EVERYTHING

We always used 99% Iso from the drug store.

It's was on 1200 four stroke  motor, I think fuel pump just was frozen doesn't make any sound before you start engine, after a couple hours in shop everything back to normal.

We have another bad thing. My friend was riding ski doo 380F and he miss oil level and run on lake on empty tank for awhile. :-(

6 hours ago, andreyboater said:

We have another bad thing. My friend was riding ski doo 380F and he miss oil level and run on lake on empty tank for awhile. :-(

Deicer won't help that. LOL

Relay was probably frozen so fuel pump wouldn't run.  May not fuel quality related.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

Relay was probably frozen so fuel pump wouldn't run.  May not fuel quality related.

This sounds more likely or maybe intake to fuel pump froze. Water will settle to bottom of tank. I always use de icer. I buy a case of 12 small bottles of ISO from auto parts store. 4 strokes can take meth so any gas station should have it to top up. A bottle into every second tank is good. 

that's a crap deal for sure

I always carry a bottle of deicer with me

Were you filling your tanks at night or in the morning? Always fill at night before they cool down.

We filled up at evening before we arrived to motel.

5 hours ago, andreyboater said:

We filled up at evening before we arrived to motel.

That is what I always do too. Crappy fuel no doubt, if fuel was in fact frozen. If it was fuel all six sleds would be effected you would think? 

How can you have so much water in the fuel that the 5 % ethanol would not absorb it.  I have not added crap to my fuel for over 10 years.  Your little bottle of alcohol is way less than 5% of your tank.

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

How can you have so much water in the fuel that the 5 % ethanol would not absorb it.  I have not added crap to my fuel for over 10 years.  Your little bottle of alcohol is way less than 5% of your tank.

Ethanol attracts water though. I add it because I worry about a frozen jet on etec. Would take a lot of water to freeze inlet at pump and sled wouldn't run right either after words, you would think. 

18 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Fresh fuel is key to not having problems. Old fuel has attracted water to the ethanol and older fuel has phase separation. There is a thread on this somewhere.

Where do you suspect you picked up the bad fuel?  Heading out for a 4 day northern ontario ride next weekend Sault - Foleyet - Kap - Dub.

Had same starting issue on our 1200 this year . Starter relay in fuse box we warmed then in our hand and on the 2nd sled switched the relay with the one that controls the lights  .When you hit the starter and hear nothing my expierance has always been relay related . 

55 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

my expierance has always been relay related

As above, y first relay issue happened in Sudbury on Sunday morning.  Fuel pump ran, engine started but no gauge lit up.  Let it run and warm up and re-started and all was good.

3 hours ago, ChadCarter said:

Where do you suspect you picked up the bad fuel?  Heading out for a 4 day northern ontario ride next weekend Sault - Foleyet - Kap - Dub.

I can't blame exactly. We filled up in Spanish in a evening.  Next  morning after 20 miles sled died, also marine gas station in Kellarney can be potentially.

But one more time I can't blame exactly 

4 hours ago, andreyboater said:

I can't blame exactly. We filled up in Spanish in a evening.  Next  morning after 20 miles sled died, also marine gas station in Kellarney can be potentially.

But one more time I can't blame exactly 

Did you stay at riverside inn?  I bought fuel from gas station across the street, forget which brand. No issue there since they typically sell lots of fuel since they are right on highway 17. 

I have ran into sledders before that had fuel related problems they filled up at one of the two stops at Abrey Falls. The one outfit near highway that sells just regular has good fuel I was told, so I always buy there. I have no personal experience with other outfit though. 

Ethanol or not, it depends how much fuel they move, how long in the tanks, and how many times your sled has gone from hot to cool. Use the ice line deicer randomly...regularly and one less thing to worry about when travelling. Many times multiple sleds fill at same station and one two might have problem and the others don't.

i use iso all the time, even thought i know a lot of fuel is being pumped through certain areas.  I did not a few weeks ago forgot to add it  and the one line on one sled was froze would not start, warmed it up and she started in went the iso.

Archived