Sudbury will survive the weather

soupkids

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Excellent! Where can I see the spot tracking?

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0qIOqWqYfMncPh5IFYU3EcSEMd1062UX3

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is pretty cool! Thanks Canuck!

It was bang on for 2 trips we've done out that way this year. Look, trace on map, follow.

Garson is a GREAT place to stage from.

STP yard. Sudbury Trail Patrol. Follow the groomer path out at 8 am. PArk where signs direct you to park. Huge lot.

:-P

From last night, looks like they hit the area around Sportsman's, and other areas as well. Easy to map it out.

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

It was bang on for 2 trips we've done out that way this year. Look, trace on map, follow.

Garson is a GREAT place to stage from.

STP yard. Sudbury Trail Patrol. Follow the groomer path out at 8 am. PArk where signs direct you to park. Huge lot.

:-P

From last night, looks like they hit the area around Sportsman's, and other areas as well. Easy to map it out.

You park over night there for a few days or just day trip? 

56 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

You park over night there for a few days or just day trip? 

Just day trips.

Trucks have been there upon arrival (8am) - presumably they were there overnight. Still there when I returned at sunset.

Ask Soupkids tho - PM. That yard (and STP) is great for sledders. Don't want to abuse privilege, etc.

The sign points to back of yard. Park at back. Not out front (that's for us Toronto cidiouts)

In all seriousness, the arrow points to the back..but folks park out front. Respect them ...park at the back.

8 minutes ago, Canuck said:

In all seriousness, the arrow points to the back..but folks park out front. Respect them ...park at the back.

Thanks no worries too far for a day trip anyways. Just trying to keep track of lots you can park overnight at. 

11 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Hey there  Looks like we will come up on Mon  the 26th    We want to ride 2 1/2 days   Any suggestions for accommodations ?  Don't know the area at all so any help would be appreciated  Pls thanks

Not many on trail places  unfortunately. 

Sportsmans lodge, American plan, great trail access.

Moonlight, Chateau Guy, in town, trail access depends on the weather, it's ok right now.

Valley Inn, Northland hotel, trail access, kinda out of town for food, trails suck b@lls out that way right now. Once you get west of Chelmsford the teails get pretty good.

Overnight, multiday parking is welcome at the STP yard.

We ask that you leave a ph number and eta back at the yard just in case we have to send a search party for you.

I was out riding today and the trails north of 17 in the garson area are fantastic.

IMO the teails are the best they have been all year.

Scratchers and studs are a must, trails are icy.

20180222_112557.jpg

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Not many on trail places  unfortunately. 

Sportsmans lodge, American plan, great trail access.

Moonlight, Chateau Guy, in town, trail access depends on the weather, it's ok right now.

Valley Inn, Northland hotel, trail access, kinda out of town for food, trails suck b@lls out that way right now. Once you get west of Chelmsford the teails get pretty good.

Hey Soup   thanks so much  going to talk to the guys in the morning to make a plan

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

Overnight, multiday parking is welcome at the STP yard.

We ask that you leave a ph number and eta back at the yard just in case we have to send a search party for you.

Good to know. Probably won't make it there this year, unless snow lasts until middle of march. 

10 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Good to know. Probably won't make it there this year, unless snow lasts until middle of march. 

Typically it does

22 minutes ago, Dirtbag said:

awesome... any idea how to switch it to other regions?

Good question..but it's specific to Sudbury. They've elected to show folks where groomers are, presumably for us to plan trips.

The only other area I'm aware of that does this is North Bay 

http://www.nbsc.ca/trails/

(halfway down on the page is the SPOT logo..click on it)

I guess to get you there directly..click here https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0TJMmBQ4hQTpo0P7mELfVYreIhnsa7N3b

Let it snow, let it snow...GRRR

43 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The only other area I'm aware of that does this is North Bay 

I have never understood why all clubs don’t (or won’t) do this. What is the down side? 

1 hour ago, Dirtbag said:

awesome... any idea how to switch it to other regions?

Heart of Ontario has the spot as well. https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0uiKBpdP5G1WEurmHDetrs9kmNHDz7qPk

Works good ...just add snow.

13 minutes ago, lakejoe said:

I have never understood why all clubs don’t (or won’t) do this. What is the down side? 

I initiated publicly posting the Spot link for our 3 NBSC Groomers many, many years ago and we continue to do so.

The obvious downside is that you could have persons heading out and following the Groomers and tearing them up before they have a chance to set.

Much of our grooming was done during the day and some in the evening before midnight.

Knowing whether there are sleds out there doing this or not will probably never be known.

I have always thought it has to be a net positive by letting sledders plan a loop trip where they can at least have some assurance that the trail, or portion of a trail, has been recently groomed rather than planning something with no info.

I pushed for  a few years before our current executive came in to try to get this in place..Glad we finally did it. The transparency alone is worth it.

Just took a ride to Rockies for smokes and food.

Trails are amazing considering the weather.

Are they perfect, no.

Bare spots and water, yes

Get out and ride.

5 hours ago, soupkids said:

Are they perfect, no.

Get out and ride.

Are you expecting any snow in the next 2 weeks. Was going to head up Mar. 10 or 17th. Thanks.

7 hours ago, soupkids said:

Are they perfect, no.

Get out and ride.

Hey there Soup  We are here now  Rode the Wolf Loop and was all groomed  Green on the guide and all was good We trailered to Skeed to launch but we expected that. Rode yesterday too and was decent enough from Chateau Guay  to do a short ride when we arrived.  Hats off to everyone here the riding is really good    ( for being so far south  LOL )  Not a lot of experience with this area but very happy we are here.

Archived