North Channel

signfan

Looking at a trip to Elliot Lake in a few weeks.  Does anyone have any local knowledge of what the north channel crossing to Manitoulin is like?  Roughly how far across is the trip?  You don't loose site of land correct?  I'm thinking two days to run to the Sault and back (basically the north shore loop).  Just looking to add a third day to the trip and figured this would be worth doing so I can cross it off the bucket list. 

Not sure of crossing the Channel, but the sledding on St. Joseph Is. looked liked it would be good. Lots of varied terrain. We camped in Richards Landing in 2016 & toured the island.

I can help answer a few questions. It's 23 miles from Spanish to Gore Bay.  We have done this crossing at least 6 times and is quite enjoyable, however have not done it this winter.  Conditions on the North Channel change HOURLY, mostly pressure crack issues and ice opening up.  One year, I remember stopping in for lunch at Spanish and chatting with a group that just came across from Gore Bay to the mainland with no problems.  One hour later we went across and the ice opened up near the Gore Bay side.  We had to turn around.  I would suggest getting local information within the day you plan on crossing. A couple other tips: Stay clear of Little Detroit Channel and bring a GPS.

You will see land unless you are between the last island and Gore Bay and looking west.  There is no land visual when looking west once beyond the last island.  The crossing is between 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Its one of these places where you don't want to be ripping down the lake at 80-90 mph because of the roughness and pressure cracks (varies from year to year).  Our average speed is usually about 45-50 mph tops.

I hope this helps.  Enjoy as it is a nice ride. Please share photos.  We were successful 6 out of 7 crossing attempts over the years.

I've attached a few of my own from former years.

Little Detroit.jpg

gore-bay 057.jpg

gore-bay 060.jpg

gore-bay 078.jpg

Archived