Cochrane March 1 - 5

Spanky

7 hours ago, barberch said:

If you want a good breakfast before leaving Cochrane, Terrry's has a good breakfast and of course is right on the trail...

Is Terry's open for breakfast now?  When we were there earlier this year, their posted hours started at 11 AM.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Anyone know if there is fuel in Moonbeam?

27 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Yes.  There is a small side trail off of L123.  Well marked for gas.

Look for the Danco/Damco signs & you'll be good to go.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Is Terry's open for breakfast now?  When we were there earlier this year, their posted hours started at 11 AM.

yep. We were there the same time as you. Some of our guys were staying over there and we met for breakfast before riding. In think they have a sign too

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

Yes.  There is a small side trail off of L123.  Well marked for gas.

Wasn't well marked when I was there 

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Wasn't well marked when I was there 

It's marked coming either way.... fuel sign on L123 visible just before the intersection at the power line section heading West to Damco. 

Screenshot_20180220-215646.thumb.jpg.c90ceaf294631c9b17ff390a49751770.jpg

Can anyone report back who was in Cochrane this past weekend on trail conditions?  I'm hearing that the trails were terrible due to the amount of traffic.  I know there is not a single room available for this coming weekend when we are there.

Its taken me 5 years to talk my crew into going this far north, I'd hate to finally get them up there only to be on trails like we normally have around here...

5 hours ago, Spanky said:

Can anyone report back who was in Cochrane this past weekend on trail conditions?  I'm hearing that the trails were terrible due to the amount of traffic.  I know there is not a single room available for this coming weekend when we are there.

Its taken me 5 years to talk my crew into going this far north, I'd hate to finally get them up there only to be on trails like we normally have around here...

Go an hour farther to Kapuskasing, or branch over to Timmins.  Trails are much less trashed in both towns.

3 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Go an hour farther to Kapuskasing, or branch over to Timmins.  Trails are much less trashed in both towns.

Stop telling people that Denis!!!  You're letting too many secrets out lately.......................

15 minutes ago, extreme600 said:

Stop telling people that Denis!!!  You're letting too many secrets out lately.......................

Agreed!  I left from Timmins on Friday headed to Kap-Hearst. Trails were great from Smooth Rock north. Very choppy from cochrane to SR. same in the return. There is a ton of traffic in Cochrane, the groomers can't keep up.  Great effort to all Clubs in the North. 

The further west in the Northern Corridor the less traffic you will find.  Haven't ridden there yet but from the conversations I have had despite nightly grooming on weekends the main trails through Cochrane are getting a bit beat up by the afternoon with the warmer weather.  

7 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Appreciate the heads-up Denis.

I checked online, and the Super 8 in Kapuskasing is full on the dates my gang is heading up there.

Not sure if we should cancel...took me a long time to talk them into trying Cochrane, if its trashed-up trails it'd be a total waste of the money to go there.

14 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I checked online, and the Super 8 in Kapuskasing is full on the dates my gang is heading up there.

Not sure if we should cancel...took me a long time to talk them into trying Cochrane, if its trashed-up trails it'd be a total waste of the money to go there.

There are other hotel there to try.  I know that there are hockey tournaments for the next 3 weekends in kap.  Comfort in is good

Depending on your type of accommodations, there are other options in Kap.  If all you need is a clean room without all the fancy stuff, (hot tubs, etc.) I recommend the Advantage Motel at the west end of town.  There is a good restaurant next door and the rates are less than many others.

42 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Check the link in my sig' for more motel listings.

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

I've been doing the northern trails, almost every year since 1998. Yes some years are not pavement smooth, but overall the Cochrane to Hearst, actually even down to Hornpayne have been awesome. Completely unfair to the clubs up north to judge the trails up there based on this weekend, considering the fact that all of Ontario is now trying to sled up there. You want awesome trails, head up north middle of Feb when it is cold and only the hardcore sledders are out. :-). The warmer weather doesn't help. I have videos on the tube from some of the trails up there, over the last few years.  (apexltx56).

You're not riding in Pembroke this weekend, so go for it; it will be very very busy...

54 minutes ago, Spanky said:

And if you just need a room for the night, try the Apollo hotel on the west side. Breakfast place on 1 side and Caseys on the other side. 

9 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

I've been doing the northern trails, almost every year since 1998. Yes some years are not pavement smooth, but overall the Cochrane to Hearst, actually even down to Hornpayne have been awesome. Completely unfair to the clubs up north to judge the trails up there based on this weekend, considering the fact that all of Ontario is now trying to sled up there. You want awesome trails, head up north middle of Feb when it is cold and only the hardcore sledders are out. :-). The warmer weather doesn't help. I have videos on the tube from some of the trails up there, over the last few years.  (apexltx56).

You're not riding in Pembroke this weekend, so go for it; it will be very very busy...

Best post I've seen on this topic so far.  Agree 100% Just go up there and ride.  Problem now is that we're getting so darn spoiled anymore that we set our standards way too high.  Myself, I will always buy a few permits in Ontario.  Yes, I have ridden in Quebec and will always support them once or twice a year also.  But, my priority is with Ontario.   All these clubs in the Northern Corridor work their butts off to keep everyone happy!!  There's only so much everyone can do.  Again, nobody can control what Mother Nature throws at us.  She's just a biatch!!!!

Cheers!!

Thanks for the helpful accommodation tips, I should have mentioned that its a couples weekend, so there has to be some consideration given to the folks on the back of the sled.  Happy wife :D

If some of you would re-read my post, I never placed blame or judged any of the northern clubs, they cannot keep up with the traffic.  The blame for this falls both with Mother Nature and the parking lot superstars that feel the need to rip the crap out of the trails in an effort to make their appendages longer, without thinking of others.  Regardless of this, its up to me if I want to spend a grand to go somewhere for 5 days to ride trashed-up trails. 

I think if we go, I will try to plan some smaller loops (we had hopes of doing the Abitibi Canyon and visiting the Moonbeam clubhouse) and hopefully find some flat trails.

32 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Thanks for the helpful accommodation tips, I should have mentioned that its a couples weekend, so there has to be some consideration given to the folks on the back of the sled.  Happy wife :D

If some of you would re-read my post, I never placed blame or judged any of the northern clubs, they cannot keep up with the traffic.  The blame for this falls both with Mother Nature and the parking lot superstars that feel the need to rip the crap out of the trails in an effort to make their appendages longer, without thinking of others.  Regardless of this, its up to me if I want to spend a grand to go somewhere for 5 days to ride trashed-up trails. 

I think if we go, I will try to plan some smaller loops (we had hopes of doing the Abitibi Canyon and visiting the Moonbeam clubhouse) and hopefully find some flat trails.

L123. West side of Canyon loop. Southbound on East side of Canyon loop has one bad curve while dropping to left, as this guy found out a few weeks ago. A and C southbound from Cochrane are pretty flat, pull in the L103 for a nice little trail and if you pull in the A107C can be a loop. The Hearst loops are always a nice ride.

Keeping your bride happy - warm temps will do that, got it.

Awesome trails, hard to do with warm temps we now have.

Good luck.

IMG_9913.jpg

Been up here for a while,  anyone coming up you will enjoy , sure some trails will be ruff/choppy one day and smooth the next   get off A trail and do the loops.  Did 350km yesterday with some friends that came up and only ran into maybe 25km of ruff.  Do not be shy at least you are riding up here. District 9 back home I do believe are pulling stakes.

Last suggestion, to help keep all the brides happy. Looking at the forecast, sunny highs of -5 and lows of -17; suggest you have ice scratchers as part of your kit, as I expect the sun will soften up the trails and the nights will freeze them hard until mid morning. You guys stuck on the side of the trail trying to unstuck the track from the melted sliders "won't inpress them much". 

Just a suggestion. ....

cheers

23 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Last suggestion, to help keep all the brides happy. Looking at the forecast, sunny highs of -5 and lows of -17; suggest you have ice scratchers as part of your kit, as I expect the sun will soften up the trails and the nights will freeze them hard until mid morning. You guys stuck on the side of the trail trying to unstuck the track from the melted sliders "won't inpress them much". 

Just a suggestion. ....

cheers

Agreed!  We've already had that pleasure on a previous trip to Bonfield, had to hitch a ride down to Stonecliffe to get our trucks & trailers, back to Bonfield then back home...this winter can go away any time it would like...

Archived