Cochrane March 1 - 5

Spanky

Our group is booked into the Westway in Cochrane March 1 – 5, all couples on 2-up sleds.  I’m planning 3 days of rides around 200 km’s (with the exception of the Abitibi Canyon loop at 296 km’s).

Are there anywhere on the trail (preferable) or close to the Westway for breakfast?

Considering the Cochrane – Timmins – Iroquois Falls loop.  Are these trails fast?  Is there anywhere on-trail to have lunch in Iroquois Falls?

Any suggestions for loop rides in addition to these questions welcome…two of the four couples have never been to Cochrane before, hoping for an awesome weekend so they will want to return.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breakfast at Westway is usually Timmies next door when we go there.  Not sure of other places.

The only time I have been in IF for lunch was again at a Timmies.  Not sure of other locations.

Good loops are the canyon, timmins-iroqouis falls loop, out to Kap and ride all the local trails. Moonbeam clubhouse and or restaurant in moonbeam right off L123. Smooth rock falls at Smooothys  is also not a bad place to eat. If i was doing the timmins iroqouis falls loop, i would eat in timmins. Im pretty sure there is a small restaurant in iroqouis falls. Im pretty sure its not far off the A trail near the petro can. But can be wrong. Cochrane breaky has always been timmies if staying at westway, but we have ran out to smoothys for sunday buffet breaky also on our way to Hearst. Truck stop across the street from the travellodge closed now, but also had good breaky.  In cochrane we ALWAYS eat dinner at the ice Hut...

We always had a good breakfast at the train station in cochrane ,and diner and drinks at JRs at night ,short walking or cabbing distance from the westway 

21 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Good loops are the canyon, timmins-iroqouis falls loop, out to Kap and ride all the local trails. Moonbeam clubhouse and or restaurant in moonbeam right off L123. Smooth rock falls at Smooothys  is also not a bad place to eat. If i was doing the timmins iroqouis falls loop, i would eat in timmins. Im pretty sure there is a small restaurant in iroqouis falls. Im pretty sure its not far off the A trail near the petro can. But can be wrong. Cochrane breaky has always been timmies if staying at westway, but we have ran out to smoothys for sunday buffet breaky also on our way to Hearst. Truck stop across the street from the travellodge closed now, but also had good breaky.  In cochrane we ALWAYS eat dinner at the ice Hut...

Thanks IQ TURBO.  A couple questions;

Can you (or anyone) suggest a place to stop in Timmins?

Do you mean the truck stop across from Thriftlodge in Cochrane?  I believe its an ESSO / Fast Stop Diner...that is now closed?

20 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

We always had a good breakfast at the train station in cochrane ,and diner and drinks at JRs at night ,short walking or cabbing distance from the westway 

Thanks MM.

Train station?  They have a restaurant there?  Is it trail accessible? 

Yup ,just east of the local Doo dealer ,easy to spot and u can do it by sled easy,ride from the westway to breakfast and then hit the trails ,your basic home cooked breakfast before hitting the trails 

43 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Mrs. Iq turbo and myself have rooms booked at westway for march also. Hope to see some familiar and new faces there..

Hmmmmmmmm top secret on the dates are ya???  LOL  Depends on the dates you are there.  Might just see some new faces...................

43 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Do you mean the truck stop across from Thriftlodge in Cochrane?  I believe its an ESSO / Fast Stop Diner...that is now closed?

Yes, not sure how long ago, but my North Bay trucker friend mentioned it the other day when I was @ their place. He's on a daily run to Cochrane so he'd notice it. I'm sure it was still open in 2016 when we passed thru on the drive to Kap'

10 minutes ago, gobills said:

Im with iq hit up smoothies if you can.  They have great food there.  Also if your group was to do a loop out to Kap and back a great stop as mentioned is Moonbeam clubhouse.

X2 on the clubhouse

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

Timmins has lots of places to eat. Pick your fancy.. majority are good..

22 minutes ago, revrnd said:

X2 on the clubhouse

29 minutes ago, gobills said:

Im with iq hit up smoothies if you can.  They have great food there.  Also if your group was to do a loop out to Kap and back a great stop as mentioned is Moonbeam clubhouse.

X3 on the Moonbeam clubhouse for lunch, but be aware that it was only open Thursday - Sunday when I was there last month. With your stated dates, you should be okay and the Moonbeam local trails (125, 135, 119, 127)  are definitely worth riding. It is too bad that you are not going to be able to take in the Hearst loop trails. They are all beauties. Enjoy!

14 minutes ago, tricky said:

X3 on the Moonbeam clubhouse for lunch, but be aware that it was only open Thursday - Sunday when I was there last month. With your stated dates, you should be okay and the Moonbeam local trails (125, 135, 119, 127)  are definitely worth riding. It is too bad that you are not going to be able to take in the Hearst loop trails. They are all beauties. Enjoy!

When SJ, apeXman & I were up there in '16, we checked out the south loops (1st time for me) unfortunately, w/ the warm weather @ the time, the stretch of road running ( a fair distance) was like running on chocolate pudding. Only bad road running we had to deal w/ that trip.

2 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Mrs. Iq turbo and myself have rooms booked at westway for march also. Hope to see some familiar and new faces there..

When in march I willl be there too. 

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

an you (or anyone) suggest a place to stop in Timmins?

Casey's on L27 just off L24 about 750 feet. Take the little side trail on your right up the steep hill to the Casey's /Super 8 parking lot.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

If you were riding in from the east on A111C, L24 goes right past Mikes (where the gang ate lunch & abandoned me) & Wacky Wings. There's an ESSO just off L24 as you head north towards TOP C.

3 hours ago, sledjunk said:

The only time I have been in IF for lunch was again at a Timmies.  Not sure of other locations.

Leo's Restaurant was facing the tracks on the main drag years ago... old fellow and good man sized portions. Coke sign hanging off the front.   

Been years we haven't poked in there so I can't say if it's still open.

If you want a good breakfast before leaving Cochrane, Terrry's has a good breakfast and of course is right on the trail...

18 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Casey's on L27 just off L24 about 750 feet. Take the little side trail on your right up the steep hill to the Casey's /Super 8 parking lot.

we ate there on Sunday and it was good...fair number of sledders there

Anyone know if there is fuel in Moonbeam?

18 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Anyone know if there is fuel in Moonbeam?

Yes.  There is a small side trail off of L123.  Well marked for gas.

Archived